Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on September 03, 2019, 10:02:38 AM
In the movie there was a scene where the british Pm I believe stated that Britain had to have the bomb before the yanks got it or "the bloody yanks will want to rule the world". Don't know how much truth is in that but in the mid 40's hell. And as far as the Rosenberg thing goes, at the time Russia was our ally as well, maybe not as trusting, but if your willing to sacrifice a few more million of your "allies" to prevent them from having the device, it's seems like another way to perpetuate a war only using everyone else to do the killing for you and set back and watch.
Churchill cooperated with FDR on the building of the bomb. "Tube Alloys" was the British codename for the project, "The Manhattan Engineering District" (shortened to "The Manhattan Project" in common parlance.) When the British realized how much the damn thing would cost they agreed to share all their information in exchange for the finished technology.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on September 03, 2019, 10:02:38 AM
In the movie there was a scene where the british Pm I believe stated that Britain had to have the bomb before the yanks got it or "the bloody yanks will want to rule the world". Don't know how much truth is in that but in the mid 40's hell. And as far as the Rosenberg thing goes, at the time Russia was our ally as well, maybe not as trusting, but if your willing to sacrifice a few more million of your "allies" to prevent them from having the device, it's seems like another way to perpetuate a war only using everyone else to do the killing for you and set back and watch.

Exactly true.  The US worked to limit propagation of nuclear weapons to GB in general, and to France in particular.  Of course sharing this technology with the Soviet Union was never seriously considered.  The British POV on nuclear weapon development ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vAX7EujOYI

Didn't realize that the Brits had split the atom before the Germans (but Lithium not Uranium).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 03, 2019, 11:25:34 AM
Churchill cooperated with FDR on the building of the bomb. "Tube Alloys" was the British codename for the project, "The Manhattan Engineering District" (shortened to "The Manhattan Project" in common parlance.) When the British realized how much the damn thing would cost they agreed to share all their information in exchange for the finished technology.

Correct, but we also shared a common STD ... Soviet spies.  To exclude France, it meant excluding the daughter of Madame Curie and her son-in-law.  This is why it was imperative to steal the German nuclear reactor prototype out of S Germany, which was in the French occupation zone.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 03, 2019, 11:25:34 AM

I think that could stand some evidence.  Not that it wouldn't surprise me to be true, but I never heard of it before.  I'm interested.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 03, 2019, 12:26:28 PM
I think that could stand some evidence.  Not that it wouldn't surprise me to be true, but I never heard of it before.  I'm interested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_Alloys

First wiki, then challenge.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Since I hate the whole 'live action' Disney remake thing, I decided to treat myself to the actual quality thing their based on, in this case the lion king (never owned a copy strangely). It's as good as anyone has said it is, great story, wonderful animation and songs and voice acting. I really see no faults in this movie that required a remake of it. 10/10

I also got it's sequel lion king 2 simbas pride, having heard its one of the actually good Disney sequels. The animation isn't as breathtaking as the original, but it really is a pretty good story. Following a more Romeo and Juliet story where as the original was more hamlet. This one really is worth a watch if you like the original. 8/10.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on September 04, 2019, 05:24:06 AM
Since I hate the whole 'live action' Disney remake thing, I decided to treat myself to the actual quality thing their based on, in this case the lion king (never owned a copy strangely). It's as good as anyone has said it is, great story, wonderful animation and songs and voice acting. I really see no faults in this movie that required a remake of it. 10/10

I also got it's sequel lion king 2 simbas pride, having heard its one of the actually good Disney sequels. The animation isn't as breathtaking as the original, but it really is a pretty good story. Following a more Romeo and Juliet story where as the original was more hamlet. This one really is worth a watch if you like the original. 8/10.

I learned from the Nostalgia Critic that The Lion King (and its sequel) got some subtle changes each time it was rereleased. For instance, they animated Rafiki when he holds Simba up, while he was static in the original. And they removed the infamous SFX/SEX thing from the cloud of dust Simba makes when he lays down.

https://lionking.fandom.com/wiki/The_Lion_King_series_re-release_changes
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 04, 2019, 10:51:05 AM
I learned from the Nostalgia Critic that The Lion King (and its sequel) got some subtle changes each time it was rereleased. For instance, they animated Rafiki when he holds Simba up, while he was static in the original. And they removed the infamous SFX/SEX thing from the cloud of dust Simba makes when he lays down.

https://lionking.fandom.com/wiki/The_Lion_King_series_re-release_changes

Guessing they also removed the penis tower from the little mermaid box art too. Shameless.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on September 04, 2019, 04:45:17 PM
Guessing they also removed the penis tower from the little mermaid box art too. Shameless.

Shameless to have it or shameless to remove it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 04, 2019, 05:35:51 PM
Shameless to have it or shameless to remove it.

They knew what they were doing, the internet never forgets

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on September 04, 2019, 05:42:31 PM
They knew what they were doing, the internet never forgets

Isn't everyone in Hollywood gay?  Not that I mind.  It is Roman Polanski that offends.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I have a theory - a film theory - that almost everything that happens in the movie Kick-Ass is not a true account of events, but the titular character's delusional fantasies and hallucinations.

What really happened:  Dave bought a ski suit, tried to stop grand theft auto, got stabbed and went into a coma.

In the hospital, he imagines he stumbled across three guys beating up a defenseless guy and fought them off, which then went viral and got hundreds of friend requests.  None of that really happened.  After Dave gets out of the hospital, he imagines various people in his daily life (mostly from school or the comics shop) as thugs, superheroes, supervillains, etc.  He came up with Red Mist when Chris D'Amico was checking out a Spider-Man comic (specifically, issue 66) and the red glare from a stoplight was on the comic.

Dave is physically on the mend but mentally unwell, slipping into and out of heroic fantasy as a form of escapism and as a way to avoid coming to terms with the fact that he utterly failed as a superhero.  Hit Girl and Big Daddy are 100% wish fulfillment for him.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 06, 2019, 11:09:29 PM
Thank you for the link.  I suspect most of it is true.

But did you watch the British video I provided on this?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.