Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 05, 2018, 02:24:42 PM
Darkest Hour 9/10

It was 2:04 hours long, but I could have watched another two hours.

There was three movies on this last year, Darkest Hour, Churchill and Dunkirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVOzMZ4IrMA
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on March 05, 2018, 10:54:14 PM
There was three movies on this last year, Darkest Hour, Churchill and Dunkirk.
I missed Churchill.  I guess I didn't know about it, although I can't explain how.  It apparently adds the element of America's entry into the war, which are those extra two hours Darkest Hour left out that I could have easily sat through.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 06, 2018, 12:34:49 AM
I missed Churchill.  I guess I didn't know about it, although I can't explain how.  It apparently adds the element of America's entry into the war, which are those extra two hours Darkest Hour left out that I could have easily sat through.

If you watched the clip ... it is about the decision to go/no-go on D-Day.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on March 06, 2018, 07:13:51 AM
If you watched the clip ... it is about the decision to go/no-go on D-Day.
Yeah, I caught that.

SGOS

The movie Churchill may not have played in theaters here.  Reviews from Users at Amazon were dismal with 41% giving it one star.  Lack of historical accuracy was a common criticism, but such a low score usually signals other flaws as well.

SGOS

Red Sparrow 5/10

Brutally sadistic and sexually explicit, the movie is kind of a bore, and not easy to follow.  I'd have to see it again to make sense out of the plot, but I don't really want to sit through it again.  I didn't actually fall a sleep, I don't think, but I "rested my eyes" quite often and listened to the dialog.  Then I would realize I wasn't even listening, and rouse myself back to rally mode, which I simply could not sustain for more than 5 minutes.  Jennifer Lawrence and the male lead both did a good job, as did the rest of the supporting cast, but the whole thing was poorly written, dimly lit, slow moving, and monotonously  morose.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on March 05, 2018, 02:24:42 PM
Darkest Hour 9/10

It was 2:04 hours long, but I could have watched another two hours.
Seen it four times now. I had tears in my eyes during the final speech. Halifax was right, "He mobilized the English language and sent it into battle."

What I didn't know going in was how convenient Lord Lothian's death was for WSC.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on March 06, 2018, 07:46:09 AM
The movie Churchill may not have played in theaters here.  Reviews from Users at Amazon were dismal with 41% giving it one star.  Lack of historical accuracy was a common criticism, but such a low score usually signals other flaws as well.
"The Gathering Storm" and "Into the Storm" are on Amazon Prime. (Albert Finney and Brendan Frazier star in those.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 06, 2018, 06:53:45 PM
Brendan Fraser
Brendan Gleeson.  I think Brendan Fraser was abducted by aliens.  I haven't seen him in a movie for 10 years.

I haven't seen either of the "... Storm" movies, but I put them on my order list.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 06, 2018, 06:51:02 PM
Seen it four times now. I had tears in my eyes during the final speech. Halifax was right, "He mobilized the English language and sent it into battle."

What I didn't know going in was how convenient Lord Lothian's death was for WSC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Kerr,_11th_Marquess_of_Lothian

Mostly an appeaser, right on some things, wrong on others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Wood,_1st_Earl_of_Halifax

Another appeaser ... conveniently exiled to the US.  Promising to defend Poland, when the Brits had no means to do so, was stupid as well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on March 07, 2018, 05:44:36 AM
Brendan Gleeson.  I think Brendan Fraser was abducted by aliens.  I haven't seen him in a movie for 10 years.

I haven't seen either of the "... Storm" movies, but I put them on my order list.
Hey, I was working without a net there.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 06, 2018, 06:53:45 PM
"The Gathering Storm" and "Into the Storm" are on Amazon Prime. (Albert Finney and Brendan Frazier star in those.)

Saw most clips of the first one, has good music.  Haven't seen the second one.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 06, 2018, 06:51:02 PM
I didn't know who that was until I looked him up.  I don't remember Darkest Hour talking about him, or showing him.  I'll be looking for him on my second watching of the film. 

In retrospect, it's hard to understand the majority party's appeasement policy toward Hitler.  But then we now have the advantage of hindsight.  I can understand that early on Hitler may have been viewed as just another noisy dictator, and Parliament eventually did have the presence of mind to throw the appeasers out, but it was none too soon. 

Another mystery is how a devastated Germany after the WWI could have rebuilt such a massive cutting edge military in such a short time.  Was this known to the Allies, or was Hitler able to hide the build up from Allied intelligence?  OK, Germany had 20 years to do this, but it seems like someone would have known about it.

There was a note at the end of the film that Churchill was voted out of office just after the war, which surprises me a bit, but for the short time he was in power, he seems like he was the right man for the time.  Maybe he was not the right man during peace time.  Today, history seems to remember Chamberlain as a bumbler, while Churchill is regarded with reverence.  I also wonder why it took the USA so long to get on board.  I know there was strong sentiment to remain neutral, but Hitler was a global threat that would have eventually been a problem unless Germany was brought to its knees.  Russia and Western Europe probably could not have stopped him on their own.  What a different world it might have been.

SGOS

Mom and Dad
Nickolas Cage
Rotten Tomatoes 76%  Audiences 43%

Well, it's hard to stop watching.  It should get some points for that, I suppose.  But there is little or no attempt to fill the holes in the plot or explain the mysterious events.  It's just a hodgepodge of implausible nonsense which you simply take at face value.  I would call it a bad movie, but yet I watched it, where a lot of movies like this, I just turn off.  I think the audiences who rated it are closer to the truth, yet probably still a bit generous.

Sal1981

Full Metal Alchemist 4/10

Pretty bland and the story makes no sense.