Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I feel that in the times we live in, post Deadpool, a movie about someone like Midnighter would have appeal. A gay superhero who doesn't piss around, preferring to slam his fist through someone's head then arrest them.

(Censored cause of lovely, chunky blood n guts)
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

It's such a shame the authority series got cancelled, and written out as dc brought the company and pulled it into dcs revamp, the original authority had some awesome moments, like when Jenny Sparks killed God himself.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Hidden Figures.  I don't go to the movies much any more--not sure why.  But I'm glad I went to this one.  Excellent acting--good history--took me back to my childhood in Alabama.  It seems we are returning to those times again, when nonwhite did not count.  I would not be surprised to see the 'colored' signs go back up in many parts of the country.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 03, 2017, 07:04:09 PM
Hidden Figures.  I don't go to the movies much any more--not sure why.  But I'm glad I went to this one.  Excellent acting--good history--took me back to my childhood in Alabama.  It seems we are returning to those times again, when nonwhite did not count.  I would not be surprised to see the 'colored' signs go back up in many parts of the country.

Remember that race was part of the religion consideration, given that colored folk went to a different church than white folk.  Definitely looking forward to the Church of Satan challenging this ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

The new Jack Reacher....time better spent laying on the floor and cleaning the underside of tables.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

caseagainstfaith

Lego Batman:  I hadn't gotten around to seeing Lego Movie, but I know it got good reviews.  And I know this movie has good reviews.  So, I had high expectations.  But it was pretty "meh" to me.

I did know it was family friendly.  But, I wasn't expecting it to be so "kiddie".  But the kiddies won't get all the jokes.  And, frankly, while I have seen all the main Batman movies, I don't have them memorized and I'm quite certain that many jokes flew past me since I don't remember the reference.  I did get a few chuckles.  But, wasn't worth the time. At least to me.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Cavebear

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on February 12, 2017, 10:23:47 PM
Lego Batman:  I hadn't gotten around to seeing Lego Movie, but I know it got good reviews.  And I know this movie has good reviews.  So, I had high expectations.  But it was pretty "meh" to me.

I did know it was family friendly.  But, I wasn't expecting it to be so "kiddie".  But the kiddies won't get all the jokes.  And, frankly, while I have seen all the main Batman movies, I don't have them memorized and I'm quite certain that many jokes flew past me since I don't remember the reference.  I did get a few chuckles.  But, wasn't worth the time. At least to me.

Both Lego movies.  Cracked me up.  Best adult sarcasm since Robot Chicken...  After that, The Incredibles.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on February 12, 2017, 10:23:47 PM
The first Lego Movie was like that for me.  I won't see the sequel.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 13, 2017, 05:28:43 AM
The first Lego Movie was like that for me.  I won't see the sequel.

View the Lego movie as adult humor, admire the outstanding lego constructions, and you might like it better.  And there WAS a moral to the story.

Anyway, I've sure seen worse.

SGOS

Frank and Lola  6/10

Interesting story, if you're looking for a dysfunctional romance movie.  I might watch it again to see if I can make more sense out of the psychological dynamics.  There may be something that I missed that better explains the characters' behavior, and I'll bump it a couple points.  If this is not there, it's still OK, but some subtle explanations that I may have missed would provide some much needed closure.  I sense these might be there.  If not, it's more about just watching people that want to self destruct.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2017, 05:36:02 AM
View the Lego movie as adult humor, admire the outstanding lego constructions, and you might like it better.
I don't think I can do that.  Ever since Legos were first introduced as toys, I have had what might be described as ideological difference of opinion with them.  The closest parallel to that behavior in everyday life, might be Christians condemning homosexual behavior as wrong.  They have nothing rational for this notion.  Doesn't matter.  It's just wrong!

That's how I am with Legos.  They are wrong, even though I have no rational explanation for how I know this.  And then they make a movie out of them.  It's like making Coffee Filter Movies would be wrong.  And nothing you can say that makes sense will change my Legophobia.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 13, 2017, 06:27:23 AM
I don't think I can do that.  Ever since Legos were first introduced as toys, I have had what might be described as ideological difference of opinion with them.  The closest parallel to that behavior in everyday life, might be Christians condemning homosexual behavior as wrong.  They have nothing rational for this notion.  Doesn't matter.  It's just wrong!

That's how I am with Legos.  They are wrong, even though I have no rational explanation for how I know this.  And then they make a movie out of them.  It's like making Coffee Filter Movies would be wrong.  And nothing you can say that makes sense will change my Legophobia.

Well, there are always Tinkertoys. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2017, 06:35:04 AM

Don't forget Lincoln Logs ... old man ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 13, 2017, 07:22:49 AM
Don't forget Lincoln Logs ... old man ;-)

I learned to read by the light of lincoln logs! 

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2017, 06:35:04 AM
I did love my Tinkertoys.  Tinkertoys and little plastic army men--what's not to like??!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs; been there too.  But my favorite was actually a forerunner of Legos.  Interlocking brick faced blocks a bit smaller than dominoes.  You could build architectural structures; Two story farmhouses, rambling ranches, or split level homes, but unlike Legos, it simulated actual construction.  With Legos, you can make airplanes, tanks, and God knows, what else?  But this doesn't simulate the ways those things are actually made.  I can't suspend my sense of reality enough to get off on that.  What are kids thinking these days?  I don't understand them half the time. :headscratch: