Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 22, 2016, 08:43:56 PM
New viewers are not nostalgic for the original trilogy and don't have reason to hate the prequels.

Besides the shit tier dialog, of course. And the abomination y that is Binks. And the focus on irrelevant shit when the story could be progressed.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 22, 2016, 08:43:56 PM
New viewers are not nostalgic for the original trilogy and don't have reason to hate the prequels.

They will once they they see them.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Blade Runner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDscTTE-P-k2049

Here's a trailer, which doesn't tell us much.  Trailer's usually don't, but this one breaks new ground in not conveying anything meaningful.  I think it's primarily an announcement that Blade Runner is being rebooted or sequeled.  While I'm dying to see more, I don't believe the Director can top his first effort.  I think he made that first movie in one of those rare flashes of genius that comes but once in a lifetime.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 22, 2016, 08:42:21 PM
You sure? I could have sworn that Obiwan mentioned Anakin by name in IV.
Nope.  Just "father".  Anakin isn't mentioned by name until Return of the Jedi.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on December 22, 2016, 09:05:29 PMBesides the shit tier dialog, of course. And the abomination y that is Binks. And the focus on irrelevant shit when the story could be progressed.
You weren't enraptured by the beginning of a Phantom Menace?  The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute!  Taxes are in dispute, I tells ya!

Atheon

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 22, 2016, 08:42:21 PM
You sure? I could have sworn that Obiwan mentioned Anakin by name in IV.
It was always "your father". His name was one of the Big Reveals of Return of the Jedi (along with Jabba's appearance and Leia being Luke's sister). I remember it being a big thing back in '83.

I also remember walking out of the theater in '83 feeling somewhat disappointed... a new feeling for a Star Wars movie.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 14, 2016, 12:09:20 PM
DON'T BREATHE. Much better than I expected. It's classified as horror, but I didn't get why. It's thriller I guess.

Moral of the story: Don't break into people's houses.

Boy, I'll say.  After I read your comments, I started looking at user ratings.  Redbox users were praising it, and Redbox had it listed as one of their most popular.  I figured that was true, because it was always out in places where it was supposed to be.  For the last couple of weeks, they kept redirecting me to Redboxes that were in other states.  It finally showed up locally (25 miles away), so I rented it and just finished watching it.  Ordinarily, I simply disregard horror or thrillers out of hand.

While thrillers are my least favorite genre, a good one does come along now and then.  I have low standards for this type of movie.  All it has to do is scare the shit out of me (the average thriller usually bores me more than anything), but I'd recommend this one to anyone with a strong stomach and a perverse interest in the gruesome, ghastly, and grim.  Don't Breathe holds your attention right from the start. I wasn't familiar with the cast, but they played their roles flawlessly, and were very convincing.  I also wanted to see this because I've always liked the premise where the tables are turned to the point where you start to feel sorry for the assholes who intend to prey on an "innocent."

Thanks for the heads up.

aitm

saw Deepwater Horizon.. S'kay, wouldn't watch it again. I mean it was captivating enough and they did a good job of showing the distain between BP and the oil rig operators, one would normally not realize that it was contract work. Still once is enough, not enough interest to watch it again. I mean....it not Star Trek for gods sake.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on December 25, 2016, 11:36:50 AM
saw Deepwater Horizon.. S'kay, wouldn't watch it again. I mean it was captivating enough and they did a good job of showing the distain between BP and the oil rig operators, one would normally not realize that it was contract work. Still once is enough, not enough interest to watch it again. I mean....it not Star Trek for gods sake.

Yeah, I think they good have done more with that movie.  For all the fire and explosions, it was kind of blah.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: SGOS on December 23, 2016, 08:19:19 AM
While I'm dying to see more, I don't believe the Director can top his first effort.  I think he made that first movie in one of those rare flashes of genius that comes but once in a lifetime.

FYI, Ridley Scott didn't direct the sequel.  He initially planned to, but decided that Alien was a higher priority to him and he didn't want Bladerunner to sit too much longer.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

caseagainstfaith

I loved Deepwater Horizon. I think it might be more fun for people who have worked in the industry though.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on December 22, 2016, 10:46:09 AM
Heresy! Science fiction enthusiasts, are required to be Star Wars fans!

You do know that there is at least some faction of science fiction enthusiasts who feel that Star Wars is not actually Sci Fi but "science fantasy" and thus unworthy?  These people are often Star Trek fans and hate Star Wars.

Me, I'm okay with science fantasy and like both Trek and Wars. But, I'm more of a Trek person.

Baruch

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on December 25, 2016, 09:57:52 PM
I loved Deepwater Horizon. I think it might be more fun for people who have worked in the industry though.

Too close to home ... I interviewed once for a job like that ... back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth making oil.  Glad I didn't get it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on December 25, 2016, 10:10:25 PM
You do know that there is at least some faction of science fiction enthusiasts who feel that Star Wars is not actually Sci Fi but "science fantasy" and thus unworthy?  These people are often Star Trek fans and hate Star Wars.

Me, I'm okay with science fantasy and like both Trek and Wars. But, I'm more of a Trek person.
I tend to think of science-fantasy as a subset of science-fiction, rather than a separate genre. By the strictest definition, Star Trek is science fantasy as well. 2001: A Space Odyssey, GATTACA, and The Martian, are all examples of "hard" science fiction.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hydra009

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on December 25, 2016, 10:10:25 PMYou do know that there is at least some faction of science fiction enthusiasts who feel that Star Wars is not actually Sci Fi but "science fantasy" and thus unworthy?  These people are often Star Trek fans and hate Star Wars.
Meh, whatever one calls it doesn't matter much to me.  Also, it seems dumb to look down on Star Wars because it's not like Star Trek.

And this is purely anecdotal, but I'd say that a higher proportion of Trekkies also like Star Wars than Star Wars fans who also like Star Trek.