Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on November 01, 2016, 05:36:54 PMOuija  7/10.

I just saw Ouija at the theater.  I'm not into these sorts of films, but I enjoyed it.
I saw a theory that Ouija is a part of The Exorcist series.  Seemed plausible.  Apparently, in The Exorcist the girl played on a ouija board by herself (well, technically with her invisible friend Captain Howdy) which led to her getting possessed.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 01, 2016, 07:02:03 PM
I saw a theory that Ouija is a part of The Exorcist series.  Seemed plausible.  Apparently, in The Exorcist the girl played on a ouija board by herself (well, technically with her invisible friend Captain Howdy) which led to her getting possessed.

Hmmm.  Maybe.  I do recall the Ouija board in the original Exorcist, which did a number on me when I first read the book.  It disrupted my sleep for a month.  As I recall the scenes with Ouija board were the first harbinger that foretold of the creeps to follow.  It doesn't affect me like that today.  Then I saw the film a few months after I read the book, and had the same reaction all over again. 

Ouija, the movie, wasn't really scary, more like fun.  Your link started off shitting all over it, pointing to it's 7% rating at rotten tomatoes.  It's actually 82%, however.  I wouldn't have bothered going if it was a 7%, and I think 82% was close to the mark.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ouija_origin_of_evil

Oh, maybe he was talking about the first movie.  I didn't see that one.

I don't know if the writers of Ouija made an intentional link to the Exorcist.  I think that may stretch it a bit.  The movies are very different, but I'll give your critic some credit for spotting the similarities that he did.  Sure, there are Ouija similarities, dictated by the encyclopedia of Ouija lore, I suppose.  But recurring common lore has also been established for vampires and zombies.  Everyone knows what vampires and zombies are like.  They follow the same established behaviors and characteristics from movie to movie, so there is going to be continuity.  OK, occasionally vampires and zombies break with traditional understanding, but those are odd exceptions.  I usually find them jarring, because I consider myself knowledgeable about vampires and zombies.  Not so much Ouija boards, though.

Sal1981

Captain America: Civil War

I expected it to be rather braindead explosions and shit, but had a rather good philosophical flare to it. 7/10

Cavebear

Ender's Game is both good and bad.  The book was WAY more subtle.  Everyone I know has a slightly different spot where they understood Ender wasn't playing a game anymore.  It should have been a 3 part 2 hour per episode series.  But I'm glad they made it for the message...  And, no, I wasn't the earliest to catch on.  But I remember WHEN.  All the hairs on my neck stood up. 

And just thinking about that moment, they did again.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

XMen Apocalypse 10/10

I don't know why I missed this at the theater.  Did it get a bad rating or something?  I've followed every one since the 1st, which I thought was the best.  Things got weaker with some sequels better than others, but I think they got their mojo back on this last one.  I just finished it minutes ago, so I might be a bit emotionally excited and not all that critical.  Loved this one, almost to the point of goose bumps.

Edit: Just checked Tomatoes.  48% Critics ,  Fans a bit higher.  Talk about out of sync, but I am still enthralled.  I just had a shot of steroids yesterday for an inflammation of a joint.  Maybe I'm just pumped.

SGOS

Tomorrow, I'm off for Dr. Strange.  I'm going to take full advantage of the steroids.

Munch

Ah chemicals and drugs, making everything rosier
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Yeah, I might watch all my movies on steroids from now on.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on November 04, 2016, 08:59:34 AM
Yeah, I might watch all my movies on steroids from now on.

Wouldn't you end up.. you know..

SGOS

SGOS

Dr. Strange  10/10  Without steroids, too, I think.

A unique film.  I really don't care for the new 3D, but it's an hour drive to the theater, and I took the 3D option because I had my show times mixed up.  I'm actually happy I did.  Usually, 3D (sometimes referred to as 2.5D) doesn't do much for most films.  It does enhance certain things, if the movie is designed for maximizing the technology.  Take an ordinary horror film in reality surroundings like an old creepy house, and nothing is really enhanced in the experience.  But certain effects do well.  Think, the floating mountains in Avatar.

Dr. Strange takes advantage of these kinds of effects.  The plot line is developed mostly in regular environments and doesn't gain anything from 2.5D, even suffers from the common complaints, but about 30 to 40 minutes of the film creates environments that shine in the new 3D, and add a level of immersion not found in regular environments.  They are just fun to experience.  I would suggest you might take the 3D ride on this one.  They are spread out through the movie in 5 minute effective scenes, but don't dominate the movie.  It's like the director figured out how to use the new technology.  I think a 3D movie needs to be built around 3D.  You can't just film any old movie in 3D and expect much, in my opinion.

Also, you will need to embrace your imagination and accept the concept of a spirit world.  Most atheists can accept the concept of the spirit world, so it's not like you can't turn off your suspension of reality when it's over.  A lot of theists may not approve of the movie, because it's the wrong spirit world and therefore hogwash. It's not like they don't understand the difference between reality and concept.  They can accept once concept fully and permanently, but reject the other concepts because they conflict with the "true" concept.  Atheists can usually accept concepts, while understanding they are at least available to us in the imagination.

But enough preaching.  The movie is unique in that Dr. Strange is not the ordinary superhero.  I love to watch how the superhero finds himself and his powers.  That has always without exception, been my favorite part of the genre, so I give the film a couple of points for that alone.

Stay for the credits. There is a short preview that sets up the sequel and it's very entertaining and perpetuates the bits of humor sprinkled throughout the movie.  You won't walk out of the theater with any new and grand insights about the human condition, but you will have had a lot of fun.

Shiranu

Dr. Strange - 10/10.

Do you like movies? Go see it. If not, it probably won't make you a believer but maybe go see it just incase.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on November 04, 2016, 10:17:08 AM
Wouldn't you end up.. you know..

Please tell me that picture ISNT real...

Munch

Nah, think that ones Photoshop, however this guy isn't.

Greg Valentino, and I wouldn't look to deeply into this guy, he abused steroids so long, and rumours he injected oil into his arms, until the skin exploded. Rather gross.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on November 06, 2016, 04:11:03 AM
Nah, think that ones Photoshop, however this guy isn't.

Greg Valentino, and I wouldn't look to deeply into this guy, he abused steroids so long, and rumours he injected oil into his arms, until the skin exploded. Rather gross.

I doubt that is real.  The biceps look too fake.  I do hope his arms explode though.  LOL!