Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Jungle Book  9/10

A lot of funny nonsense that's just fun to watch.

kilodelta

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 25, 2016, 10:02:03 AM
I am watching bad, 80s movies.

Right now, Teen Wolf. Yeah the one with Michael J. Fox. 1985. :lol: It's terrible of course but I am happy, because I am freaking 11 years old right now.

I may even try Bloodsport after this, but not sure if I could stand it. There is a difference between feeling 11 and actually being 11...

Be sure to pause Bloodsport randomly to capture priceless Van Damme faces.

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

drunkenshoe

Quote from: kilodelta on April 25, 2016, 08:52:00 PM

LOL Decided not to watch. But I remember it completely. Who knows how many times I have seen it as a kid. :lol:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

FaithIsFilth

Brooklyn - 9/10. Very beautiful/ emotional film. Fantastic job by Saoirse Ronan.

SGOS

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on April 26, 2016, 01:08:44 PM
Brooklyn - 9/10. Very beautiful/ emotional film. Fantastic job by Saoirse Ronan.

Yes indeed.  It's unique in its simplicity.  There are no surprising plot twists, blood, or gore.  Just a simple story that you watch quietly unfold, but it immerses you in without bashing you on the head or shouting at you.

aitm

Quote from: kilodelta on April 25, 2016, 08:52:00 PM

EYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Sal1981

Flanker1Six

Just reenabled one of my cable providers movie packages for the HBO Game of Thrones Season!   

Watched two flicks I hadn't seen yet:

The Drop/Tom Hardy & Noomi Rapace---artsy film boring as ****!   Critics liked it.

Furious 7--it was OK; B- or C +; this series is pretty tired; verging on a satire of itself. 

Been meaning to get out and see Criminal with Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman & company..............but haven't made it yet.  :(

aitm

the revenant….

I don't get it. yeah…hey leo, were gonna make a movie about you getting the bejebus fucked out of you, and its gonna be like real cold all the time so…act cold…..

frankly I don't see all the hoopla. Didn't much think it was all that good of a plot. I mean really, its crazy enough to survive a grizzly…okay yeah. possible…..float down a river in the dead of winter for over a half hour and survive….yeah… not so much…and then crawl out into air almost as cold in wet clothing and still not get hypothermia?…jesus, the possibility of spiderman looks pretty easy compared to that.

As for an oscar for acting? Hoo-boy….act cold and hurt a lot…. meh…5
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Zootopia.  Great movie.  Nice visuals, interesting characters, decent gags, and an actually pretty good message.

Lots of questions about how this stuff works logically:

[spoiler]How does one city support so many ecosystems?  How did obligate carnivores go vegan?  It's not like you can feed a lion soybeans and it's a-okay.  That 48-hour rule is bullshit.  Such a totally unnecessary sense of urgency.  Man, that fox is slowly going from "helping" with a case to getting shanghaied into it.  How many regs did that bunny break?  Wouldn't that plant's properties be common knowledge?  Is every species sentient?  Where are the reptiles, birds, aquatic species, and invertebrates?[/spoiler]

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 30, 2016, 11:18:05 PM
Lots of questions about how this stuff works logically:
I somewhat enjoyed the movie, but to focus on one of your examples of the movie's questionable logic:
Quote[spoiler]How did obligate carnivores go vegan?  It's not like you can feed a lion soybeans and it's a-okay.[/spoiler]

This one example is such a glaringly poor comparison to the message against making unfair generalizations and totally misses the mark on the message of discrimination that I actually stopped taking the good intentions of the film seriously.  I'll put it in a spoiler, so as not to let out aspects of the movie you're trying to keep secret.

[spoiler]
They make this big satirical fuss about carnivores eating other animals, and boldly imply that they should not be feared because of our own short coming of falsely perceiving that "it's only in their nature."  And the cure mind you, is not to accept them as they are, but to change their basic nature (or at least to change our perception of carnivores to animals that really gain sustenance from tofu).  I kept thinking such an undertaking could only be achieved by a quack psychiatrist, who converts gay people to straight people in his afternoon sessions.[/spoiler]

I have such a hard time writing that spoiler that I couldn't say exactly what I wanted.  I have had this same problem in the past when debating people whose logic is so warped that I end up totally baffled by their incoherent reasoning, and I stop taking their arguments seriously.

Yeah, the movie was cute, but I'd have a talk with my kids (if I had any) about the nature of reality on the way home from the theater.

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on April 30, 2016, 10:20:55 PM
the revenant….

I don't get it. yeah…hey leo, were gonna make a movie about you getting the bejebus fucked out of you, and its gonna be like real cold all the time so…act cold…..

frankly I don't see all the hoopla. Didn't much think it was all that good of a plot. I mean really, its crazy enough to survive a grizzly…okay yeah. possible…..float down a river in the dead of winter for over a half hour and survive….yeah… not so much…and then crawl out into air almost as cold in wet clothing and still not get hypothermia?…jesus, the possibility of spiderman looks pretty easy compared to that.

As for an oscar for acting? Hoo-boy….act cold and hurt a lot…. meh…5

It kind of reminds me of Robert Redford's classic, "Jeramiah Johnson", but without the moments of joy that would make such an existence bearable. 

Mr.Obvious

Just rewatched 'Aliens'. Along with the original it can be concidered a masterpiece imo.
Old school sci-fi horror at it's prime.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

aitm

Quote from: SGOS on May 01, 2016, 08:04:15 AM
It kind of reminds me of Robert Redford's classic, "Jeramiah Johnson", but without the moments of joy that would make such an existence bearable. 

Good point, JJ had at least some sub-plot that allowed for active interest in the characters development, I swear with Revenant I just wanted the guy to die already, it was too much work to watch him survive.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on May 01, 2016, 08:04:15 AM
When I saw the trailers, this movie popped into my mind.  I liked it when I saw it; but that was very long ago.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?