Could we create a moral code that transcends religions?

Started by DenDen60, March 08, 2015, 09:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenDen60

I think so. What about you?

aitm

We already did, though most assume it came from some grand wizard, humans have made all moral codes in all societies at all times. Now these moral codes are subject to the societies in which they arose, which is why morality is subjective.

If the question is can we do better? The answer is yes, but we must rid ourselves of the last barrier of hindrance, that which we prescribed morality to in the first place. Religion is the last hindrance to truly worldwide moral code.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: DenDen60 on March 08, 2015, 09:44:55 AM

Sure.  Religions do it all the time.

Jason78

I thought that we did.   That's why we have trial by jury now, rather than trial by combat or trial by ordeal.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mermaid

A standard moral code outside of the law? Since morality is subjective, NFW.

A moral code for each individual to decide on for themselves? Sure, that's how things are already.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

http://www.progressivehumanism.com/progressive-humanism/humanist-ethics/

Article on humanist ethics.

One point the article makes is that any code of ethics must be progressive in that we will deal with issues like cloning and dealing with new technologies like AI that have substantive impact on  our societies.

But you need to get rid of a god as creator of moral standards first and view the problem from a strictly humanist viewpoint.

the_antithesis

the_antithesis

Also, what the fuck is it with all the newbies posting about morality, like that's even an interesting subject.

dtq123

Quote from: the_antithesis on March 08, 2015, 07:45:35 PM
Also, what the fuck is it with all the newbies posting about morality, like that's even an interesting subject.
Videogames?  :eyes:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

the_antithesis

Munch

Mmm, honey *Bllleeehhh*

.. what were we talking about again?

Oh yes, well we already do have a moral code that transcends religion. Most religious moral codes comes from an ancient book of sand dwellers, who in the time of making up those moral codes lived in a time they were happy to beat, rape, torture and kill for the fun of it. So I think given I don't believe any of those count towards a moral conduct, my morals are pretty good where it stands.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

stromboli

Hey its a slow night and I've got nothing going on, so whatever.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1692212/atheists-rewrite-ten-commandments-mythbusters-adam-savage-judged-new-commands/

1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
3.The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
4. Every person has the right to control over their body.
5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their     
     perspective.
8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
9. There is no one right way to live.
10.Leave the world a better place than you found it.

This is actually kind of a dumb list. I think it isn't a set of commandments as a set of suggestions.

There are several sets of non religious commandments on the internet. But as has been stated, we already have a fairly good set of laws to apply in most in instances.

Aletheia

Hm... 1 post.

We already have morality that transcends religions. 
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca