News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Did Jesus ever exist?

Started by fencerider, November 17, 2016, 12:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 17, 2017, 04:16:50 PM
I think the first deities that came along were the result of people watching the sky and trying to remember when various stars and groups of stars would rise/set. This is called astro-theology.

I suspect religion was caused more by humans seeking explanations without evidence.  As we became more evidential, religion became more vague and non-evidential.  Eventually, religion will fade away.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2017, 03:58:08 AM
I suspect religion was caused more by humans seeking explanations without evidence.  As we became more evidential, religion became more vague and non-evidential.  Eventually, religion will fade away.

That is what Jefferson claimed, 200 years ago.  Genius.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2017, 03:58:08 AM
Keep wishing.

faith in selfless unity for good

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 19, 2017, 07:43:51 AM
Keep wishing.

Evangelical geekdom wants everyone to enjoy geekdom like they do ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

The further science progresses and information abounds the more logical a first cause becomes.

My very simple opinion

Baruch

Posting is all about us editorializing our own neuroses in public.  I love it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 19, 2017, 07:43:51 AM
Keep wishing.

You are the one who has to rely on wishes for your proof.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 19, 2017, 10:06:01 AM
You are the one who has to rely on wishes for your proof.
Nonsense; my proof is self evident and indisputable for me.

Blackleaf

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 19, 2017, 12:52:41 PM

Yes. For you. It is not self-evident for people not programmed to believe in gods. Wishful thinking is not proof. Claiming something as "self-evident" is just an excuse to provide no verifiable evidence. And please stop responding to intelligent responses with "nonsense" when all you have is nonsense to follow with.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Ah, yes.  "...for me.", being the key words.  We all realize that--you have constructed your own universe in which you live.  And within that universe, wishes have power as does belief.  And you get to define what facts are and how they provide the foundation for your system.  And it all works great for you.  For me, none of that works.  Your crutches don't work for me.  It's not nonsense for you, but it sure is for me!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

fencerider

do you mind explaining what this means? in English?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: fencerider on February 19, 2017, 03:57:12 PM
do you mind explaining what this means? in English?
To believe and act through deed and word selflessly and with altruism actively, putting active thought of it throughout your daily processes and potentials. Past that it is belief that if all were to attain to such it would unify life and the two together would be wholly good for literally all.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 19, 2017, 02:56:45 PM
Ah, yes.  "...for me.", being the key words.  We all realize that--you have constructed your own universe in which you live.  And within that universe, wishes have power as does belief.  And you get to define what facts are and how they provide the foundation for your system.  And it all works great for you.  For me, none of that works.  Your crutches don't work for me.  It's not nonsense for you, but it sure is for me!
No crutch friend. Motivation to actually do what one knows to be right and good regardless of personal circumstances or rather personal benefit.

You can say you don't agree with a thing without attempted insult and degradation of the foundation of ones very core beliefs....But you know that already.

aitm

Donald? Is that you?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 19, 2017, 01:20:30 PM
Yes. For you. It is not self-evident for people not programmed to believe in gods. Wishful thinking is not proof. Claiming something as "self-evident" is just an excuse to provide no verifiable evidence. And please stop responding to intelligent responses with "nonsense" when all you have is nonsense to follow with.
News flash dumbass; I wasn't programmed to believe in a god.

I was fucking atheist from early childhood to my late 20s. K?

If you can't understand that a thing can be proven to you, yet you may not have the capacity to prove it to others, then that is your own broke ass logic, not mine