News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

One Problem With Obamacare

Started by Shiranu, November 26, 2013, 10:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Okay, so it has probably been mentioned here and I missed it, but since this is a problem that directly effects me (and it didn't necessarily add up in the first place)...

How is fining people who cant afford medical care going to make them get medical care?

Is there an exemption for people who make >x money? Because even if there is, I probably don't fall into that level. I am stuck inbetween that point where I am not in poverty yet at the same time cannot afford the "luxury" of having medical insurance. Thankfully I have never needed insurance (though I had it for very cheap thanks to being from a military family), but you never know when you will.

Digressing, I just don't see the point of fining people who cant afford insurance... it's basically saying, "Hey, we see you are too poor... so we will take more money from you and that should make you be able to afford it!". What type of shit logic is that?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aileron

Below a certain income level adjusted for family size, coverage is free under Medicaid.  People who have incomes above that threshold may qualify for a subsidy on a sliding scale.  Basically if you're not poor, but you're not moderately affluent you may qualify for some level of subsidy to make the coverage more affordable.

Edit:  Here ya' go...

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

billhilly

They have to fine people or it won't work as set up.  People who can get it free will get it anyway.  People who need healthcare (old people, sick people, etc.) will get it anyway.  The way it was set up with private insurance, you need a certain amount of relatively healthy people buying in at a set rate to offset the people who are using healthcare.  That's how insurance works; auto insurance counts on more people not having wrecks, life insurance counts on more people not dying too soon.  The fines are the incentive to get those healthy people into the system.

I would think some kind of means tested, gov run single pay along with the option to buy private insurance would have been better.

Shiranu

Quote from: "aileron"Below a certain income level adjusted for family size, coverage is free under Medicaid.  People who have incomes above that threshold may qualify for a subsidy on a sliding scale.  Basically if you're not poor, but you're not moderately affluent you may qualify for some level of subsidy to make the coverage more affordable.

Edit:  Here ya' go...

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

Even with the subsidy, it is still too expensive :.

QuoteThey have to fine people or it won't work as set up. People who can get it free will get it anyway. People who need healthcare (old people, sick people, etc.) will get it anyway. The way it was set up with private insurance, you need a certain amount of relatively healthy people buying in at a set rate to offset the people who are using healthcare. That's how insurance works; auto insurance counts on more people not having wrecks, life insurance counts on more people not dying too soon. The fines are the incentive to get those healthy people into the system.

That is nice so long as the healthy can afford it... but when we cant, we are punished because the system is inefficient and the economy is poor.

*sigh* Maybe one day America will decide to be a civilized nation. I won't hold my breath though, we seem to be very proud of being barbaric savages...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aitm

whoa I would have to pay 12,000 a year in premiums? Dat can't be right.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Johan

Quote from: "Shiranu"That is nice so long as the healthy can afford it...
You would be amazed what you can afford when you really have to. This health care plan is just the government saying that you have to. I won't speak for you because I don't know your situation. But for some people, affording health care might mean they have to stop with the starbucks or even the convenience store coffee in the morning. It might mean that its time to put down the smokes at $8/pack or whatever they cost now a days. It might mean you cancel the cable TV or the internet or stop spending 3 nights/week out at the bar. The point is, many people who are considered poor can readily afford the required health care if they make it enough of a priority. The government is simply making it a priority for them by requiring them to have it. Not saying it will be painless for most poor folks. Just saying its probably doable for most if they put their minds to it.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

hillbillyatheist

if your premiums are more than 8% of your income you won't be fined. if you are covered by another means like if you have medicaid, medicare, access to indian clinics, etc you won't be fined. if you make below 138% of the poverty level you won't be fined.

these are things to keep in mind.

it will be an expense for some people, but if you mandate insurance companies take everybody and then you don't force everybody to sign up, people will wait till they get sick to sign up, driving up premiums so much that it would negate the whole point of having health insurance.

now granted it would have been far better to go single payer but seeing how much resistance even this law has, I just don't see single payer as a political reality right now.
fortunately some states like Wisconsin are using the law to go single payer. maybe it will spread to other states.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

wolf39us

I'll get insurance when the fine exceeds the premium!

Solitary

I have insurance so it doesn't matter to me. To have good insurance you have to pay about $12,000 a year for it, most people can't. And why is it called Obama Care when it isn't? I was told by one that should know to never admit I have Medicaid at a hospital and just give them my insurance card. The way it is now with private insurance we all pay for those who don't by having higher premiums. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

I would have thought that the one problem would have been that american health care costs are ridiculously over inflated compared to the rest of the developed world.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Eve

Quote from: "Shiranu"What type of shit logic is that?
That is why smart people NEVER voted for Obama. Be careful what you wish for you might get it.
Big FAT unions :twisted:  are big cheerleaders for Obamacare  and now they want to be exempted. They don't want to pay tax. HOW FAIR is this?
They have to be FIRST in line to PAY.

Johan

Quote from: "Eve"
That is why smart people NEVER voted for Obama. Be careful what you wish for you might get it.
Big FAT unions :twisted:  are big cheerleaders for Obamacare  and now they want to be exempted. They don't want to pay tax. HOW FAIR is this?
Wow. Just, wow.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Jmpty

You are an idiot.
???  ??

Eve

Quote from: "Jmpty"

You are an idiot.
May be. But I was smart enough not to vote for Obamacare. :-D

EntirelyOfThisWorld

Quote from: "wolf39us"I'll get insurance when the fine exceeds the premium!

Why not make the fine equal the premium, make everyone pay it, then call it a health care tax.

Fuck the insurance companies. Bring on single payer.

My premium would be lower.  My stepdaughters premium would be much infinitly higher, since it is currently zero, like her coverage.  Still a bargain for her at about $100/mo considering preexisting condition. (Removal of pre-cancerous skin lesions)
Freedom is Free.  It\'s included in Democracy.  Democracy is Hard.  It involves coexisting with people who think that sayings like "Freedom is not Free" actually makes some kind of sense.