what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Drew_2017 on March 30, 2017, 07:17:13 PM
I'd love to ask you to explain that but I suspect the explanation would be as goofy as the assertion.

If you think that the sciences of biology and psychology are goofy, then yeah. It will be very goofy. You see, many animals live in groups. These groups remain together because of shared benefits that come from mutual understandings of what they are expected to contribute. Some of these social animals developed empathy, the ability to relate to others' suffering, in order to strengthen these mutual understandings. Humans are not the only animals with an idea of "inalienable rights." If a mother penguin loses its child and decides to kidnap another mother's chick, the whole colony will create a wall and push the offender away. Those protecting the victim have no direct gain from doing that, except knowing that the colony would protect them if the same happened to them. Elephants have empathy too, and will even mourn their dead.

Humans are little different. We are social creatures, so we draw benefits from mutual understandings of what is expected of each person. We have empathy, which keeps us from violating others and also motivates us to protect others, which in the end benefits the whole. Humans have only gone one step further by developing laws to promote harmony. Most animals have abstract, unspoken rules embedded in their instincts, but we've put those rules into specific words on paper. Again, God has nothing to do with that.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 31, 2017, 12:05:51 PM
If you think that the sciences of biology and psychology are goofy, then yeah. It will be very goofy. You see, many animals live in groups. These groups remain together because of share benefits that comes from mutual understandings of what they are expected to contribute. Some of these social animals developed empathy, the ability to relate to others' suffering, in order to strengthen these mutual understandings. Humans are not the only animals with an idea of "inalienable rights." If a mother penguin loses its child and decides to kidnap another mother's chick, the whole colony will create a wall and push the offender away. Those protecting the victim have nothing no direct gain from doing that, except knowing that the colony would protect them if the same happened to them. Elephants have empathy too, and will even mourn their dead.

Humans are little different. We are social creatures, so we draw benefits from mutual understandings of what is expected of each person. We have empathy, which keeps us from violating others and also motivates us to protect others, which in the end benefits the whole. Humans have only gone one step further by developing laws to promote harmony. Most animals have abstract, unspoken rules embedded in their instincts, but we've put those rules into specific words on paper. Again, God has nothing to do with that.

You have to understand animals...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on March 31, 2017, 12:27:13 PM
You have to understand animals...
Yes!  For that is what humans are........................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 31, 2017, 01:03:53 PM
Yes!  For that is what humans are........................

We are atoms ... please give the vote to the water molecule.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on March 31, 2017, 01:05:10 PM
We are atoms ... please give the vote to the water molecule.
Okay--we are atoms.  So what??  How does that help us understand how we work in a society?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 31, 2017, 01:15:08 PM
Okay--we are atoms.  So what??  How does that help us understand how we work in a society?

Apparently since people are 70% water, and water is a polar molecule, that is why humans are so social and anti-social at the same time.  Depends on which way we approach each other.  Also our ideas are all wet ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on March 31, 2017, 05:56:29 PM
Apparently since people are 70% water, and water is a polar molecule, that is why humans are so social and anti-social at the same time.  Depends on which way we approach each other.  Also our ideas are all wet ;-)

This much is true.
Also our dreams, on occasion.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Drew_2017

QuoteIf you think that the sciences of biology and psychology are goofy, then yeah. It will be very goofy. You see, many animals live in groups. These groups remain together because of shared benefits that come from mutual understandings of what they are expected to contribute. Some of these social animals developed empathy, the ability to relate to others' suffering, in order to strengthen these mutual understandings. Humans are not the only animals with an idea of "inalienable rights." If a mother penguin loses its child and decides to kidnap another mother's chick, the whole colony will create a wall and push the offender away. Those protecting the victim have no direct gain from doing that, except knowing that the colony would protect them if the same happened to them. Elephants have empathy too, and will even mourn their dead.

I don't think any sciences are goofy...your notion we can derive unalienable rights from nature is. Animals also eat each other, fornicate with whoever is available. Some animals have offspring and eat some of them. The black widow often bites the head off of her 'mate'.

QuoteHumans are little different. We are social creatures, so we draw benefits from mutual understandings of what is expected of each person. We have empathy, which keeps us from violating others and also motivates us to protect others, which in the end benefits the whole. Humans have only gone one step further by developing laws to promote harmony. Most animals have abstract, unspoken rules embedded in their instincts, but we've put those rules into specific words on paper. Again, God has nothing to do with that.

Many humans have acted completely indifferent to the notion of unalienable rights including secular governments and religious theocracies. Just look at WWI WWII to see how friendly humans can be towards one another. If we owe our existence to naturalistic forces that didn't intend or care about us the universe is an amoral place any ideas we have about morality or rights are just opinions none of which is correct. Its odd you don't recognize the philosophical implications of your own belief.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on April 01, 2017, 07:26:46 PM
I don't think any sciences are goofy...your notion we can derive unalienable rights from nature is. Animals also eat each other, fornicate with whoever is available. Some animals have offspring and eat some of them. The black widow often bites the head off of her 'mate'.

Yes, we reject G-d, but worship guys dead for 200-300 years who wore powdered wigs ;-)

QuoteMany humans have acted completely indifferent to the notion of unalienable rights including secular governments and religious theocracies. Just look at WWI WWII to see how friendly humans can be towards one another. If we owe our existence to naturalistic forces that didn't intend or care about us the universe is an amoral place any ideas we have about morality or rights are just opinions none of which is correct. Its odd you don't recognize the philosophical implications of your own belief.

Not many here give any credit to philosophy.  They consider anything not logic, math or physical science, to be fiction.  Damn pointy eared Vulcans!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on April 01, 2017, 07:33:34 PM

Not many here give any credit to philosophy.  They consider anything not logic, math or physical science, to be fiction.  Damn pointy eared Vulcans!

I aced all my philosophy classes throughout my schooling.  However, philosophy is not science.

Philosophy helped me to understand that god does not exist, after all.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on April 01, 2017, 07:38:13 PM
I aced all my philosophy classes throughout my schooling.  However, philosophy is not science.

Not Vulcan?  Romulan then?  Definitely not Klingon.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Drew_2017

Quote from: Sorginak on April 01, 2017, 07:38:13 PM

Your disbelief in theism is philosophical?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Sorginak

Blackleaf

Quote from: Drew_2017 on April 01, 2017, 07:26:46 PM

Many humans have acted completely indifferent to the notion of unalienable rights including secular governments and religious theocracies. Just look at WWI WWII to see how friendly humans can be towards one another. If we owe our existence to naturalistic forces that didn't intend or care about us the universe is an amoral place any ideas we have about morality or rights are just opinions none of which is correct. Its odd you don't recognize the philosophical implications of your own belief.

Irrelevant. Your claim was that inalienable rights could not be justified without god. I just justified them to you. We, as social animals, draw collective benefit from respecting the well being of other people. We will continue to draw that benefit, with or without theism. The existence of god is entirely unnecessary. In fact, given the rich history of gods being used as excuses to violate others, I'd say that the concept of inalienable rights exists in spite of theism.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--