what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueStory

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 02:07:11 PM
Yes Gods revealed law that is based on His character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And you aren't using your mind to understand that?  How does that work exactly?
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: TrueStory on October 14, 2016, 02:17:50 PM
And you aren't using your mind to understand that?  How does that work exactly?

Have you ever written a book? Or published an article?

TrueStory

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 02:18:27 PM
Have you ever written a book? Or published an article?

Answer my question.

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: TrueStory on October 14, 2016, 02:27:55 PM
Answer my question.

I am going to, the reason I asked that is because it's part of my answer. Say you wrote a book right? Does that book have the same meaning the day you published it vs 10000 years from now?

TrueStory

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 02:48:29 PM

I am going to, the reason I asked that is because it's part of my answer. Say you wrote a book right? Does that book have the same meaning the day you published it vs 10000 years from now?

You don't have to send a back and forth of questions though.  Just explain how you think a book from 1000 years ago is different in meaning than now or what ever you want to say.

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: TrueStory on October 14, 2016, 02:56:54 PM
You don't have to send a back and forth of questions though.  Just explain how you think a book from 1000 years ago is different in meaning than now or what ever you want to say.

That's the point. It's not different at all. The book has the same intended meaning. It doesn't matter what I think the book says about morality it matters what the book actually says about morality.

Is it impossible for the Christian God to exist?

TrueStory

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 03:13:04 PM
That's the point. It's not different at all. The book has the same intended meaning. It doesn't matter what I think the book says about morality it matters what the book actually says about morality.

Is it impossible for the Christian God to exist?

But don't you have to use your mind to read and understand what is going on?  What if I read it and come up with a different point of view? 

I grew up without a religious influence so the bible and harry potter seem equally real to me.

Mike Cl

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 02:07:11 PM
Yes Gods revealed law that is based on His character.

Where did god reveal his law?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 02:48:29 PM

Meaning isn't in the words of a book ... it is in the reading of a contemporary (now or 1000 years ago) that determines meaning, along with the text.  Assuming the text doesn't change (but it did in practical terms) the Bible today doesn't mean what it meant 1000 or 2000 years ago.  The original Christian Bible is in Greek.  It doesn't read to a modern Greek, what it meant to an ancient Greek.  We don't have an ancient Greek available to demonstrate this however.  Suffice it to say, a modern Christian Greek isn't the same as an ancient pagan Greek.  Later the Bible was in Latin, and it was being read by a Medieval Frenchman whose language was derived from Latin, but not the same as Latin.  Like a Spaniard trying to read Portuguese.  The culture of that Frenchman isn't the same as a modern Christian Greek, nor that of an ancient pagan Greek.  Then you have today, and I assume English is your first language.  So you are reading the Bible in English, and your culture is similar yet different from a modern Christian Greek.  You are rather different from that Medieval Frenchman and very different from an ancient pagan Greek.

When I try to read the Bible, I do it in the original languages, and I try to put myself into the mindset of a person living 2000 years ago ... heterodox/heteropraxis Hellenistic Jew ... not orthodox/orthopraxis ... not Gentile.  Unless you go to a lot of trouble ... it is very hard to tease the original meaning out of an ancient text.  See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2SvqhfevE
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Thats why I hold a lot of respect for you Baruch, you approach all religous debate from a philosophical standard of academia, as a theologen. That has more open debate to it in the sense of how religious practices have been part of human evolution, regardless of if we agree with any of it or not, it has its place in the history of society.

That said, it seems like our friend here isn't up for more historical accuracy
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Baruch on October 14, 2016, 06:54:57 PM
Meaning isn't in the words of a book ... it is in the reading of a contemporary (now or 1000 years ago) that determines meaning, along with the text.  Assuming the text doesn't change (but it did in practical terms) the Bible today doesn't mean what it meant 1000 or 2000 years ago.  The original Christian Bible is in Greek.  It doesn't read to a modern Greek, what it meant to an ancient Greek.  We don't have an ancient Greek available to demonstrate this however.  Suffice it to say, a modern Christian Greek isn't the same as an ancient pagan Greek.  Later the Bible was in Latin, and it was being read by a Medieval Frenchman whose language was derived from Latin, but not the same as Latin.  Like a Spaniard trying to read Portuguese.  The culture of that Frenchman isn't the same as a modern Christian Greek, nor that of an ancient pagan Greek.  Then you have today, and I assume English is your first language.  So you are reading the Bible in English, and your culture is similar yet different from a modern Christian Greek.  You are rather different from that Medieval Frenchman and very different from an ancient pagan Greek.

When I try to read the Bible, I do it in the original languages, and I try to put myself into the mindset of a person living 2000 years ago ... heterodox/heteropraxis Hellenistic Jew ... not orthodox/orthopraxis ... not Gentile.  Unless you go to a lot of trouble ... it is very hard to tease the original meaning out of an ancient text.  See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2SvqhfevE

Are you open to a 1:1 skype debate?

Blackleaf

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 09:27:16 PM

Oh please. A debate between the two of you would be like a child arguing with a rocket scientist about whether or not it's possible to land a rocket on the sun.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 14, 2016, 09:39:04 PM
Oh please. A debate between the two of you would be like a child arguing with a rocket scientist about whether or not it's possible to land a rocket on the sun.

Should be a good time then huh?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 09:27:16 PM

It wouldn't end the way you think. Baruch isn't an atheist: he just doesn't believe in your god. ;)
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 14, 2016, 09:43:42 PM
It wouldn't end the way you think. Baruch isn't an atheist: he just doesn't believe in your god. ;)

There is only one God and if it's not the God of the Bible it's not a God at all...