Let's rename objective morality

Started by Awakepuddle, February 26, 2017, 09:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 16, 2017, 02:17:13 PM
Universal truth:

No matter how long you've been dealing with the human race, it keeps finding new and unexpected ways to fail your encreasingly lowered expectations.
Do you find that depressing?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 16, 2017, 02:31:16 PM
Depressing.

And hilarious.
I know what you mean.  It is so much easier to have universal truths.  That way one does not have to think about things.  Just follow the 'truth'. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 16, 2017, 02:17:13 PM
Universal truth:

No matter how long you've been dealing with the human race, it keeps finding new and unexpected ways to fail your encreasingly lowered expectations.

That is called ... growing up.  It gets worse, believe me!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Universal societal "truths" are satisfying to simple-minded people.  I do not know of any.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Cavebear on June 18, 2017, 04:22:19 AM
Universal societal "truths" are satisfying to simple-minded people.  I do not know of any.
What is a universal societal truth?

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Cavebear

Quote from: popsthebuilder on June 18, 2017, 07:49:17 AM

Accepted wisdom without evidence that is innacurate.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on June 18, 2017, 07:49:17 AM

Man with gun wins.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Death is a universal truth minus the societal part.

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on June 18, 2017, 08:57:20 AM
Death is a universal truth minus the societal part.

Atheists are cool with that.  No afterlife for them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Baruch on June 18, 2017, 09:05:36 AM
I'm cool with it too. Afterlife should be nothing but an after thought.  Motives stemming from fear(of any sort) aren't aligned with any true religion or belief or faith. Baruch; correct me where I am wrong please. I specified you because of your resourcfulness and seeming lack of bias.

peace

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on June 18, 2017, 09:09:27 AM
I'm cool with it too. Afterlife should be nothing but an after thought.  Motives stemming from fear(of any sort) aren't aligned with any true religion or belief or faith. Baruch; correct me where I am wrong please. I specified you because of your resourcfulness and seeming lack of bias.

peace

I work hard at being unbiased.  But that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion or a favorite (or unfavorite).  I have studied everything I can, for my whole life.  And I try to apply charity to all I read and to all I know.  Some things I read (anti-semitism for example, read it every week) are hard to take, and so are some people.  I won't say I love my enemies, I am just trying hard not to have any.

Some of my posts are reactive.  Didactic posts don't fly well.  So not every post is thoughtful or researched.  I am as spontaneous as I can make myself ... but it comes from the real me, even if the real me is a parfait, not an ogre.  Yes, the greatest saint I know, is a Muslim woman who lived 1200 years ago.  Ra'bia of Basra.  She said that fear of punishment and hope of reward were ignoble motivations.  She had pure Allah love ... she was more true Muslim than Muhammad himself.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Baruch on June 18, 2017, 09:21:10 AM
I work hard at being unbiased.  But that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion or a favorite (or unfavorite).  I have studied everything I can, for my whole life.  And I try to apply charity to all I read and to all I know.  Some things I read (anti-semitism for example, read it every week) are hard to take, and so are some people.  I won't say I love my enemies, I am just trying hard not to have any.

Some of my posts are reactive.  Didactic posts don't fly well.  So not every post is thoughtful or researched.  I am as spontaneous as I can make myself ... but it comes from the real me, even if the real me is a parfait, not an ogre.  Yes, the greatest saint I know, is a Muslim woman who lived 1200 years ago.  Ra'bia of Basra.  She said that fear of punishment and hope of reward were ignoble motivations.  She had pure Allah love ... she was more true Muslim than Muhammad himself.
Thank you friend.

peace

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on June 18, 2017, 09:05:36 AM
Interesting point - are you expecting an afterlife? If so, what will it be like?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 20, 2017, 05:54:03 PM
Interesting point - are you expecting an afterlife? If so, what will it be like?

There already.  If you think you are not undead ... you are mistaken.  This is the afterlife.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.