News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

why are you an atheist?

Started by randomvim, September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBCuzISaidSo

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 12, 2016, 09:06:04 PM
OP, did you look around before you started this thread?

I'm going to go ahead and say, that since this is posted in "Informal Debates" (as in, the OP thinks this is even debatable, hello), that they already had their opinion and DID NOT 'look around'. At all. LOL.
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

JBCuzISaidSo

Quote from: randomvim on September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM
follow up questions may follow.

Because I've never seen a reason to think otherwise.
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.

randomvim

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 12, 2016, 08:20:51 PM
The problem with the Bible is it doesn't support religion.
How may this be so?
The Bible was compiled by a religion.

randomvim

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 12, 2016, 08:33:51 PM
It's called hyperbole, and I tend to use it when repetitive shit like this gets posted.

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).
Oh-okay. your opinion is repetitive shit. good day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: randomvim on September 12, 2016, 11:58:52 PM
Oh-okay. your opinion is repetitive shit. good day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The lack of self awareness on display here is lovely.

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

randomvim

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 12, 2016, 09:06:04 PM
OP, did you look around before you started this thread?
Some yes. lot to read in so little time. plus I come across the same issue: majority of argument  for an opinion is criticism of another opinion.

I wantes to try and get away from that a bit though welcoming new thoughts.

for example: I have yet to see the comment about the Bible being counter productive or unsupportive to religion. I look forward to reading that.

randomvim

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on September 12, 2016, 11:19:27 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say, that since this is posted in "Informal Debates" (as in, the OP thinks this is even debatable, hello), that they already had their opinion and DID NOT 'look around'. At all. LOL.
I prefer the atmosphere of a debate. to me, it means a person will stick to their side and support. just as they would stay to the topic of the thread.

I like a good conversation. so be it.

JBCuzISaidSo

Quote from: randomvim on September 13, 2016, 12:11:09 AM
I prefer the atmosphere of a debate. to me, it means a person will stick to their side and support. just as they would stay to the topic of the thread.

I like a good conversation. so be it.

But see, according to you, this is "shots fired". According to me, this is "please can we pull a debate out our assholes?"

There is no debate, at all, because prove life continues after death, and THEN we can discuss where it goes, after that. But until you have something to show for your positive claim of life after death (just for humans, not for ants or oak trees, of course) (I understand this is a LOT),  then you also have absolute fuck-all to show for any type of deity also existing, let alone the Christian one.

So "debate"? Ridiculous. On it's face.

Have a nice day.
-- Ricky Gervais

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: randomvim on September 12, 2016, 08:19:58 PM
Excuse me. I always saw this sort of opinion as a debate. two sides to one story. in a debate all sides support their own claim with more than just criticism of opposing claim.

Similar to different opinions on gravity, we look at opposing claims and evidence.

Problem with that is, mate, is that you won't find me making a claim that god does not exist.
I am not offering evidence of absence, but as long as there is absence of evidence, with me the god- claim doesn't fly.
You might have a claim to prove, I don't. Easy as that.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: randomvim on September 12, 2016, 11:58:08 PM
How may this be so?
The Bible was compiled by a religion.
The Bible is compiled by people seeking power over other people. Religion is just the tool they use.

But, more precisely, the Holy Bible is wholly babble when one tries to read it. And it makes the Judeo-Christian God look like an utter asshole.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: randomvim on September 12, 2016, 08:19:58 PM
Excuse me. I always saw this sort of opinion as a debate. two sides to one story. in a debate all sides support their own claim with more than just criticism of opposing claim.  Similar to different opinions on gravity, we look at opposing claims and evidence.

If you want to debate, it's time to state your position.  We are three pages in.

Now if all you are wanting to do is satisfy your curiosity as you stated earlier, then there would be no reason to even discuss your rules of debate.  Try to focus on your reason for being here.

randomvim

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 12, 2016, 08:35:27 AM
I was areligous from the start, no programming at home and the propaganda I encountered in the world at large failed to impact on me. I don't know if "native atheist" or "natural atheist" works better there, but they're shorter than "what would I be anything else?"
Intriguing. what would natural or native refer to; having ease to be an atheist?

randomvim

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 13, 2016, 02:00:09 AM
Problem with that is, mate, is that you won't find me making a claim that god does not exist.
I am not offering evidence of absence, but as long as there is absence of evidence, with me the god- claim doesn't fly.
You might have a claim to prove, I don't. Easy as that.
Why do you not? Does a person not justify their own belief?

I don't know how absence of evidence justifies a claim when even in a debate both sides have support that is positive to their own claim.

For example, why are we not perfect?

If there was a God what characteristics would that God have and would that God not want us to be perfect?

I am sure the struggle and division in life may be presented in a way to question not just character but used to justify doubt. And this is just me thinking about an example.

Why would there or should there not be some support to make that doesn't rely on an opposing party?

I have watched debates on other topics and there seems to be some support that doesn't just criticise the other side (though this is understandable and necessary). support that is even separate from the opposing side at times.

randomvim

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 13, 2016, 06:07:24 AM
The Bible is compiled by people seeking power over other people. Religion is just the tool they use.

But, more precisely, the Holy Bible is wholly babble when one tries to read it. And it makes the Judeo-Christian God look like an utter asshole.

I don't understand your point. perhaps you may add support?

if Bible doesn't support the people who compiled it.
the people who compiled it only did so to control people
then would this not suggest that
a. the Bible is not written as you state
b. the Bible was not compiled by the people which is claimed to be out for control
c. things are not as they are stated.

randomvim

Quote from: SGOS on September 13, 2016, 07:11:41 AM
If you want to debate, it's time to state your position.  We are three pages in.

Now if all you are wanting to do is satisfy your curiosity as you stated earlier, then there would be no reason to even discuss your rules of debate.  Try to focus on your reason for being here.
that is not my rules for a debate. that is what I have seen during debates. debates in class, heard on radio, tournaments, etc.

logical to me that a person would have an opinion based on support similar to how a person in a debate would have support.

why should this opinion be anything different?