"When My Rapist Showed Up On Facebook"

Started by Shiranu, October 04, 2015, 12:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauricio

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 05, 2015, 06:46:29 PM
There is one about an anology between atheism and feminism.

Yes i read that, you posed that analogy towards jason asking him if he would take the same stance with the word atheist. Personally I would, since my stance is consistent with all terms, I don't believe in prescriptive definitions. I believe in multiple meanings due to context and this meanings being defined by common usage. I won't dictate what is the TRUE meaning of feminism or atheism or whatever to anyone.When i consider it necessary I make my definitions clear first then proceed with the dialogue. If i want to debate the semantics I appeal to the common usage by showing sources that show there's a significant amount of people that use that word to mean that in their specific context or they self describe themselves with that term and claim their specific believes they associate with the term. I also believe most rational people should understand that when criticizing an ideology or a group you are directing your criticism towards the specifics you are talking about and not all it's possible instances (generalizing)

mauricio

Quote from: Mermaid on October 05, 2015, 08:07:26 AM
There is something wrong with you. Jesus Christ.

Care to share with the group? this is a safe spaceâ,,¢! <3

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 05, 2015, 11:55:16 AM
And according to that media and this forum full of 'egalitarians' I am supporting female supremacy because I am a feminist; I hate all men, want them dead or castrated because I talk about gender issues out loud AND say that we live in a male culture and that is equal to  'castrating' men as you yourself contribute by jumping into a thread and make some disgusting joke about castration with my  name when you feel like it.

Yeah, that's exactly not what I said, even if it is what you want to believe.  I recommend a dose of intellectual honesty next time.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on October 05, 2015, 09:01:11 PM
Yeah, that's exactly not what I said, even if it is what you want to believe.  I recommend a dose of intellectual honesty next time.

Err...that post has nothing to do with what you have or haven't said to me. It's not addressed to you either.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: mauricio on October 05, 2015, 08:34:08 PM
Yes i read that, you posed that analogy towards jason asking him if he would take the same stance with the word atheist. Personally I would, since my stance is consistent with all terms, I don't believe in prescriptive definitions. I believe in multiple meanings due to context and this meanings being defined by common usage. I won't dictate what is the TRUE meaning of feminism or atheism or whatever to anyone.When i consider it necessary I make my definitions clear first then proceed with the dialogue. If i want to debate the semantics I appeal to the common usage by showing sources that show there's a significant amount of people that use that word to mean that in their specific context or they self describe themselves with that term and spouse their specific believes they associate with the term. I also believe most rational people should understand that when criticizing an ideology or a group you are directing your criticism towards the specifics you are talking about and not all it's possible instances (generalizing)

I don't know which is weirder. That you are actually doing what you say you don't do in the same post or that you are not aware you are talking about every ideology and the relationship every kind of people in the world have with them and that all you are doing is singling out feminism and stigmatise it, because you are offended by it.

Either way, it is the same game I am trying to avoid.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mermaid

Quote from: mauricio on October 05, 2015, 08:53:31 PM
Care to share with the group? this is a safe spaceâ,,¢! <3
I have no interest at all in discussing this with you, you have your mind made up and are apparently quite angry with women given the way you are talking here. Do you talk to people like this all the time?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

ah yes....everything is going swimmingly well...carry on...carry on
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

mauricio

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 06, 2015, 05:43:16 AM
I don't know which is weirder. That you are actually doing what you say you don't do in the same post or that you are not aware you are talking about every ideology and the relationship every kind of people in the world have with them and that all you are doing is singling out feminism and stigmatise it, because you are offended by it.

Either way, it is the same game I am trying to avoid.

explain yourself. How I'm being prescriptive about labels, and how I'm singling out feminism when I just told you I treat atheism or any other term the same.

mauricio

Quote from: Mermaid on October 06, 2015, 07:43:51 AM
I have no interest at all in discussing this with you, you have your mind made up and are apparently quite angry with women given the way you are talking here. Do you talk to people like this all the time?

You are the one that told me there was something wrong with me cause I showed you that the the webpage you cited was misleading and yes I used a mocking tone because it found it ridiculous how that page completely overlooked one source saying the rate of sexual assault of woman was 28 times lower that the first source they quoted. Yet they still quote both sources but avoid showing the data of the 28 times lower one. Frankly I don't know what you are whining about, I was hardly aggressive towards you. Maybe you have conflated your identity with feminism and that kind of rhetoric about "rape culture" to the point that you take any attack towards those ideas as an attack towards your person.

mauricio

Also just noticed that "angry with woman" LOL nice attempt to inject gender prejudice in there, that's a typical SJW bullshit trick. No i don't give a fuck what you are i will still disagree and criticize you if i think you are wrong.

Mermaid

Quote from: mauricio on October 06, 2015, 03:05:53 PM
Also just noticed that "angry with woman" LOL nice attempt to inject gender prejudice in there, that's a typical SJW bullshit trick. No i don't give a fuck what you are i will still disagree and criticize you if i think you are wrong.
What's an SJW?

I was referring to your mocking of "a safe space".
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

mauricio

Quote from: Mermaid on October 06, 2015, 04:33:31 PM

I was referring to your mocking of "a safe space".

and how does mocking that concept implies I'm angry at woman?

Mermaid

Quote from: mauricio on October 06, 2015, 04:53:07 PM
and how does mocking that concept implies I'm angry at woman?

Do you really not understand this? It's very shitty to mock anyone who has a post-traumatic issue. But I am actually a rape survivor, so this topic is too emotionally expensive for me to even get into.

mauricio

Quote from: Mermaid on October 06, 2015, 05:07:14 PM
Do you really not understand this? It's very shitty to mock anyone who has a post-traumatic issue. But I am actually a rape survivor, so this topic is too emotionally expensive for me to even get into.

Yeah and that somehow necessarily follows from mocking the concept of a safe space? right... Maybe you want to actually explain what is your train of thought to get to that conclusion because clearly we are not on the same page.

mauricio

This idea of a safe space is being used to try to censor dissenting opinions

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8ewU33EdNnM