News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Troll Joe Biden memes may be the best thing to happen in 2016.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

kilodelta

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Shiranu

Book master race will never be replaced by pleb electronics.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

I don't get that.  On a purely rational basis, the electronic version is better.

More words/pound, much more portable, less costly in the long run, less ravaged by wear and tear (though books are more durable in some ways - if you drop one off a window ledge, it's less of disaster), and some e-readers can last weeks without needing to be recharged.  All things considered, an e-reader is much better way to go.

But of course, people aren't purely rational.  I wonder how much of that is just familiarity, especially during the more formative years growing up.  If I took someone who currently favors books, time-traveled to his or her infancy, and dropped that person off in a not too distant future where electronic devices are the norm and books are as archaic as scrolls, would that person's preference as an adult be any different?

Shiranu

I spend all day looking at screens, the last thing I want is a book i am reading to also be sending harmful radiation into my eyes.

Gawdzilla Sama

I've spent the last 25 years turning paper copies into electronic versions. I still buy books. Sometimes one system is superior, other times the alternative is the best choice. Boss Lady has nearly two thousand books in paper, that many more in the electronic format.

Whatever works for you.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Book don't need to be plugged in every once in awhile.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on November 24, 2016, 07:52:46 AM
Book don't need to be plugged in every once in awhile.
I have 2,500 books with me when I leave the house. More on Hyperwar.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on November 24, 2016, 12:07:07 AM
I spend all day looking at screens, the last thing I want is a book i am reading to also be sending harmful radiation into my eyes.
Jill Stein, is that you?  :P

Most e-readers are specifically designed to minimize/eliminate screen glare.

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on November 24, 2016, 07:52:46 AMBook don't need to be plugged in every once in awhile.
That's already a semi daily chore with a cell phone.  Adding an ereader to the recharge queue every couple weeks isn't much of a hassle.

Hijiri Byakuren

I, too, prefer the dead-tree version of a book when it is available.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel