News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New Warhammer 40k FPS game

Started by frosty, June 10, 2014, 05:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frosty

I vaguely recall a while back that there were a few Warhammer 40k fans on this forum, so I thought you guys might like this. It's a new FPS game taking place in the w40k universe.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/25/space-hulk-deathwing-screenshots-make-ugly-look-good/

This is exactly what the w40k universe needs, IMO. Hopefully this breathes new life into the universe.

Hijiri Byakuren

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. :evil:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

frosty

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Another Space Hulk game?  Didn't we just have one?  Don't get me wrong, this version looks amazing and will probably turn out to be an excellent FPS, but damn, blood from a stone.

I'd much rather prefer Dawn of War 3 or the much-anticipated 40k MMO that sadly went all II and XI Legion on us.

frosty

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 11, 2014, 03:31:11 AM
Another Space Hulk game?  Didn't we just have one?  Don't get me wrong, this version looks amazing and will probably turn out to be an excellent FPS, but damn, blood from a stone.

I'd much rather prefer Dawn of War 3 or the much-anticipated 40k MMO that sadly went all II and XI Legion on us.

By the MMO I assume you mean Eternal Crusade........

Yeah, we had a Space Hulk game released a short time ago, that's what it was called by the way. Space Hulk. You can get it on Steam if you want. The developers covered this angle by saying that Deathwing and the plain Space Hulk are vastly different in their own rights and that soon enough we will see the uniqueness of Deathwing in play.

Jason78

And the recently released Space Hulk game was just a rehash of the board game.  Exactly the same as the previous Space Hulk release for the PC in 1993.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Hydra009

Quote from: frosty on June 11, 2014, 04:51:29 AM
By the MMO I assume you mean Eternal Crusade........
Dark Millennium, actually.

frosty

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 11, 2014, 01:00:31 PM
Dark Millennium, actually.

Yeah, I said that because Eternal Crusade is getting a lot of bad vibes lately, people thought it would be a great, inclusive game and now the only f2p option is to be some type of Ork Boy grunt. There is only one multiplayer server, where people from 'worlds' intersect with each other, the rest of the game is a 'pay to upgrade, upgrade to win' type. I'm paraphrasing the words of the developers. I'm still going to try it out with great excitement, but they disappointed a lot of people.

Quote from: Jason78 on June 11, 2014, 05:50:07 AM
And the recently released Space Hulk game was just a rehash of the board game.  Exactly the same as the previous Space Hulk release for the PC in 1993.

That was basically Space Hulk's "sell". The recent PC version anyways. They sold it as the PC version of the tabletop game, it angered some w40k purists but also got other fans excited. That marketing tactic worked to, I would say, reasonably moderate success.

Hydra009

Quote from: frosty on June 12, 2014, 03:04:00 PMYeah, I said that because Eternal Crusade is getting a lot of bad vibes lately, people thought it would be a great, inclusive game and now the only f2p option is to be some type of Ork Boy grunt. There is only one multiplayer server, where people from 'worlds' intersect with each other, the rest of the game is a 'pay to upgrade, upgrade to win' type. I'm paraphrasing the words of the developers. I'm still going to try it out with great excitement, but they disappointed a lot of people.
Given the developer's previous works it's somewhat mystifying why there's disappointment.  The bar should've never been set that high in the first place.

QuoteThat was basically Space Hulk's "sell". The recent PC version anyways. They sold it as the PC version of the tabletop game, it angered some w40k purists but also got other fans excited. That marketing tactic worked to, I would say, reasonably moderate success.
Eh, well good for them.  Maybe its success will spur quality efforts on successive 40k titles.  Because the field right now isn't very good.  Lots of small efforts.  Relic's guiding hand is deeply missed.

SilentFutility

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 11, 2014, 03:31:11 AM

Dawn of War two was so disappointing for me.
Yeah, the graphics were good, yeah the fighting looked even better, but the gameplay was so watered down.

I loved DOW1's mechanics, with the resources being capturable around the map and with a base building element, so you actually had to go out and skirmish around the map to retain control whilst building a larger army.

DOW2 was more just "send war stuff at eachother and hope my stuff blows up the enemy stuff first", which then meant that if you were outmatched you couldn't really use tactics etc. to win. The campaign was fun from what I remember.
My memory of DOW1 is good, DOW2 I played for a bit then stopped, disappointed, and as a result I can't remember it well.

I've heard this game was ok. Anyone played it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Space_Marine

Hydra009

Quote from: SilentFutility on June 15, 2014, 05:38:44 AM
Dawn of War two was so disappointing for me.
Yeah, the graphics were good, yeah the fighting looked even better, but the gameplay was so watered down.

I loved DOW1's mechanics, with the resources being capturable around the map and with a base building element, so you actually had to go out and skirmish around the map to retain control whilst building a larger army.

DOW2 was more just "send war stuff at eachother and hope my stuff blows up the enemy stuff first", which then meant that if you were outmatched you couldn't really use tactics etc. to win. The campaign was fun from what I remember.
My memory of DOW1 is good, DOW2 I played for a bit then stopped, disappointed, and as a result I can't remember it well.
I've clocked in a lot of hours on both, and yeah, DoW1 is definitely my favorite.  DoW2 was admirable in that it kept most of the DoW1 gameplay and adds in hero units with special abilities, equipable items, and a leveling mechanic.  On paper, it seems like it be awesome.  Unfortunately, the gameplay doesn't really work well, especially on skirmish mode.  I didn't like how you can only field very small armies, they retreat at the drop of a hat, and you're restricted heavily on reinforcing squads.  Makes for a very shallow, frustrating experience.  And although the campaign is decent, you're locked into the Blood Angel's campaign, you don't get the freedom of DoW1's Risk-style map or playing a different faction.  Retribution did try to correct this huge oversight but lamentably, every map plays exactly the same for every faction, which makes absolutely no sense and really hurts believability (durr I'm Chaos, I'm going to go banish this demon for the Blood Angels).

It's an okay game, but the fundamental gameplay issues, lack of variety, and lack of much in the way of customizing the experience really hurt it.

DoW1 Dark Crusade was great.  7 races with their own unique fighting styles, a ton of unit variety, both skirmish maps and special challenge maps, really great gameplay that requires some serious strategy, and great aesthetics.  And the mods people have come up with for this game are nothing short of glorious.  It's only real issues were some pathfinding problems (especially infantry near vehicles) and really cramped maps.

Soulstorm, however...

The flying units really didn't work well on the game engine, really hurt the gameplay (they basically make any other vehicles unnecessary), and the two new races were so underwhelming.  And my God, the campaign map looks and feels like absolute garbage, the racials are awful (extra movement when not attacking any territories, whoopie!), your progress doesn't carry over (if you build a sprawling base before winning the territory and then your territory comes under attack, you have to defend a mud hut and two sticks rather than your previous base), and for a lot of the matches, you're locked into crappy take-and-hold victories, which are the worst and most hollow victories ever.  May the Dark Gods erase this blight.

QuoteI've heard this game was ok. Anyone played it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Space_Marine
Yeah.  It's not stellar, but it's an okay on-rails shooter.  The gore is entertaining (finishers ftw) and it has some great visuals.

What I wouldn't give for an open world (like Borderlands) 40k fps...

frosty

The closest thing to that in existence right now is Fire Warrior. I've played Spess Mehreens quite extensively, it's got a small, hardcore multiplayer community, it's 3rd person action with combat as a secondary style (in a sense). Storyline is reasonably long, the lore is OK, graphics are pretty good, and it should keep you busy for a while if you truly like it.

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 12, 2014, 05:31:51 PM
Given the developer's previous works it's somewhat mystifying why there's disappointment.  The bar should've never been set that high in the first place.

Well people are upset that you can only play as an Ork Boy for free. The rest is what I described. People feel that they were lied to. That the game is already being sold out for profit and is already leaving the fans behind. Not everybody feels this way, but it seems like a sizeable enough portion. They still have time to turn things around, they are giving out the starter packs next week and apparently closed beta early access will start in January 2015. I will admit, the developers have quite a load of weight on their shoulders and I don't think they knew exactly how overwhelming this would all eventually get.

Oh, and they just announced a few weeks ago that Tyranids will be like scourge (I mean that in the sense of the word, it's not a pun or metaphor) for all the other races. They will actively strive to stop the victories of all the other races. Of course, people then got a bit rowdy at the fact that the Tyranids would be NPCs and that nobody could control them!!!!!!

SilentFutility

Holy shit. Watched a gameplay video of fire warrior...it looked awful!

Hydra009

Quote from: SilentFutility on July 08, 2014, 10:31:37 AM
Holy shit. Watched a gameplay video of fire warrior...it looked awful!
Yeah, it was pretty bad, even for the time.  "Who needs Halo?" might have been overselling it a bit.