Kid Gloves Atheism and Eastern Philosophy

Started by CrucifyCindy, August 24, 2015, 02:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2015, 12:56:23 PM
Well if you believe in pacifism .... then the Christians were pacifist until Constantine came along.  But since then, only individual Christians are pacifist ... not most of the sects.  In that way through most of its history, Buddhism has also been pacifist (but the Sangha only, the laity not so much) ... excepting periods that resemble Constantinian Rome.  Pacifist movements are usually considered treasonous.
Pretty hysterical how much religious history is like a mattress commercial - they're just little lambs until the guy counts up a whole herd of sheep, which suddenly turns violent!
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Baruch

Numbers matter, if you are building an army.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solitary

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on August 27, 2015, 12:39:31 PM
I don't need psychedelic experiences to live a full life of wonder and beauty. You don't either.
I beg to differ. How can you say you have a full life if you have never experienced psychedelics? Life is all about experiences, and the more experiences you have the more you have lived, bad or good. No experience = death.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Solitary on August 28, 2015, 09:47:11 PM
I beg to differ. How can you say you have a full life if you have never experienced psychedelics? Life is all about experiences, and the more experiences you have the more you have lived, bad or good. No experience = death.
You haven't had a full life until you have experienced alzheimers, or some other form of dementia, but some things are best avoided altogether or delayed for as long as possible.

Also, if what you miss out on is not becoming one who thinks psychedelic art isn't ugly or horrific, and thinks that song lyrics are great pearls of wisdom...if your choice is to give all that shit up, then I would congratulate you on not becoming an obnoxious asshole! Just say'n.

Me, I can enjoy Hendrix without the dope, because my own imagination isn't too weak to do the rest.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Solitary

Quote from: Baruch on August 27, 2015, 09:16:27 PM
Pharmacological cults are as old as religion.  Sharing mead and soma were used to propagate the migration of Indo-Europeans.  But all of this is just jiggering the molecules you already have in your brain.  You can generate your own trips without chemical assistance, just saying.
Quote from: Baruch on August 27, 2015, 09:16:27 PM
Pharmacological cults are as old as religion.  Sharing mead and soma were used to propagate the migration of Indo-Europeans.  But all of this is just jiggering the molecules you already have in your brain.  You can generate your own trips without chemical assistance, just saying.
I'm very surprised that you know this. I had a Hindu Shaman teach me how to meditate when I got interested in it after I told him I was an atheists. He told me I don't believe in God because I have never experienced God. So I gave it a try religiously because my partner at the time practiced Hindu rituals and we did it together. It took me three years of study under him to finally achieve transience practicing it every day for hours. It was an overwhelming feeling of being connected to everything in the universe. I have to say it changed my life dramatically, just like skydiving and Alpine skiing did. I had the same experience of being one with my car when younger racing at high speeds.

I have done psychedelic drugs, and anything I have experience on them I could do with meditation after I got very good at it. When I was an out patient at our local (no pun intended) mental hospital for problems I was having, they gave me an EEG and I decided to see what happens when I meditated. After about two minutes the nurse came in all excited because I flat lined the EEG. I watched her fiddling with the wires freaking out and I stopped. They brought in an expert from California to examined the results because they never saw this before except when someone is dead.

The doctor told them that it isn't flat lined, only very slow shallow brain waves, and the only time he has seen it before was in India. He asked me if I meditate. What is good about meditation rather than drugs is because you are still under control, where drugs you are not and can have a hellish experience. You can also when meditating, and if you have any hidden psychoses, it will present itself. I cured an overwhelming fear of death by going through hell to get to heaven by meditating. I believe this is probably the bases of the beginning of religion from drugs like Shrooms, peyote, and other "natural psychedelics like mold on rye bread.

Solitary

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on August 28, 2015, 10:02:45 PM
You haven't had a full life until you have experienced alzheimers, or some other form of dementia, but some things are best avoided altogether or delayed for as long as possible.

Also, if what you miss out on is not becoming one who thinks psychedelic art isn't ugly or horrific, and thinks that song lyrics are great pearls of wisdom...if your choice is to give all that shit up, then I would congratulate you on not becoming an obnoxious asshole!

Me, I can enjoy Hendrix without the dope, because my own imagination isn't too weak to do the rest.
I have not did any illicit drugs for thirty years after I learned to meditate with my lover at the time. Some song lyrics are pearls of wisdom. By the way, our own body produces the most powerful psychedelic that music can evoke in us. Peace !

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Solitary on August 28, 2015, 10:34:36 PM
I have not did any illicit drugs for thirty years after I learned to meditate with my lover at the time. Some song lyrics are pearls of wisdom. By the way, our own body produces the most powerful psychedelic that music can evoke in us. Peace !
Yeah, I later modified the tone with "just say'n". No offense intended, it was more or less aimed at one specific dude who has made dialog with at very least myself rather unpleasant, and with whom I no longer care about offending for his particularly brash arrogance.

Also, you're right on some song lyrics, some which even I live by, although I would only feel like an idiot should it ever become my general mode of expressing myself.

Peace, out.

Baruch

Peacewithoutgod ... yes, we are like fighting brothers ... we are that close ;-))  Takes arrogance to know arrogance ... but mine is chutzpah, thank you very much.  You need to be a disciple of a shaman perhaps.

Solitary ... well drugs were never my personal choice.  And I don't meditate much, but I can trance easily and shallowly.  For some years now my "monkey brain" has been sleeping off a truckload of bananas ;-)  Music and profound speech entrance me, animals entrance me.  Lots of things do that for me.  I am here and not here ... and I know you know what I mean.  The profound people I have read ... they have been my guru.  How special for you, that you had one in the flesh (double meaning, not child safe).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Nihil-ist

Quote from: Solitary on August 28, 2015, 10:34:36 PM

This person gets it, psychedelics can be a powerful catalyst for awakening but aren't necessary for everyone. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSZyMWyIhaU
Feel your creature behind your eyes,
between your ears, ethereal vibrations
It pulses, it pushes, it beats,
minds are battlefields
Resist to atomization, or fall into meaningless
one last chance to reconnect with the air

Wheel the sun
ABOVE THE UNWORTHY
slowly turning in unending circle
Wheel the sun
we're creeping backward
barely aware of ourselves

New thoughts of disruption,
altered visions, glimpse of reality
Inner devastating urge,
irrepressible search
of some more source of truth
Enlightens humanity's paths

Wheel the sun
ABOVE THE UNWORTHY
Wheel the sun
we're creeping backward

Without voice, any critical removed
plundered words, waving in superstitions
Any further investigation denied
traditions never move, or die

We forgot the taste of light, lost in uselessness
reason anesthetized by overstimulated emotions
What a wonderful knowledge, we withered in decades
Slowly hanged to the cranes of ego
What a wonderful knowledge, we withered in decades

Imperfect products, socially engineered
indoctrinated to disbelieve in future
Their end is a piece of art
Apathetic spectators of our own funeral
indoctrinated to disbelieve in future
The end is a piece of art

Wheel the sun
ABOVE THE UNWORTHY
Wheel the sun
we're creeping backward

Traditions never move, or die
We are the origin of all evil
"At some point in human history there were no gods."
"Deus est mortuus logica obtinet"

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Baruch on August 29, 2015, 09:49:49 AM
Peacewithoutgod ... yes, we are like fighting brothers ... we are that close ;-))  Takes arrogance to know arrogance ... but mine is chutzpah, thank you very much.  You need to be a disciple of a shaman perhaps.
?????!!!! Did you think my comment, which yours directly followed was referring to you? If so, you guessed wrong! Didn't even know we were "fighting" in this particular thread. Compared to one who soaks up cyber-reams with all the graphical nonsense with which he attempts to drown all intelligent thought, you are perfectly all right. Scroll just a little bit one way or the other and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Baruch

Peacewithoutgod ... since I exist in both the past, the present, and the future .... how do you know which part of your writing I am referring to?  And holistically maybe to all of it?  Hmm?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: Nihil-ist on August 26, 2015, 10:18:13 PM

The look that New Age people have on their faces scares me. It is like they have been taken over by plant people.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on August 29, 2015, 06:40:00 PM
The look that New Age people have on their faces scares me. It is like they have been taken over by plant people.
Creepy, isn't it?
***shudders***

Mike Cl

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on August 29, 2015, 06:40:00 PM
This was covered in Heinleins' Puppet Masters--she is one of them.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solitary

Quote from: jonb on August 24, 2015, 06:18:05 PM
Why is a raven like a writing-desk?

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

I think I just had a seizure! I though only strobe lights made me trippy. It's fun if I just go with it and don't pee my pants. Maybe I did, but I have a pad on just for that reason.