News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Left Behind The Movie

Started by SGOS, September 19, 2014, 08:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonman73

What I got out of the adam and eve story is that basically

1. "God" wants you to blindly follow without question.
2. He doesn't want you to be smarter than him.
3. There are severe punishments for not abiding by him. Your taught to FEAR him.
4. You have free will, but your free thinking will get you in trouble by not listening to him
5. The Devil will trick you
6. And women caused all of our problems and set forth the wheels in motion, so it's ok to hold them back and oppress them so it doesn't happen again.

To me it's the most basic and start of indoctrination and obviously written by man for control. This is supposed to explain how we got here and set the tone for the Bible.

Total BS of course

AllPurposeAtheist

You have to admit living in a garden naked with a really hot woman just eating and fucking has its appeal and who wants to sit through boring classes to learn shit that you'll never use since everything is always supplied to you that you'll ever need? They couldn't even get a sunburn, but of course I'm just assuming that because there's no reference to A & E using Coppertoneâ,,¢ sunblock..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mike Cl

Quote from: dragonman73 on September 22, 2014, 07:51:20 AM
What I got out of the adam and eve story is that basically

1. "God" wants you to blindly follow without question.
2. He doesn't want you to be smarter than him.
3. There are severe punishments for not abiding by him. Your taught to FEAR him.
4. You have free will, but your free thinking will get you in trouble by not listening to him
5. The Devil will trick you
6. And women caused all of our problems and set forth the wheels in motion, so it's ok to hold them back and oppress them so it doesn't happen again.

To me it's the most basic and start of indoctrination and obviously written by man for control. This is supposed to explain how we got here and set the tone for the Bible.

Total BS of course
I agree with your assessment of Gen. 2--it is total BS created by a man.
But let me bounce this off of your comments.
Why do people always forget that the bible starts at Gen 1?  In that section we are told that god created humankind in our (????) image--and so He created man and woman in 'our' image and pronounced it good.  No adam, no eve, no garden.  And men and women were created at the same time--no upper hand for either.  After reading Gen. 1 and Gen. 2, the take away should be that one is forewarned about the bible.  It is only consistent in it's inconsistency; almost always contradicts itself and can be used to support just about any position one wants to take.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

AllPurposeAtheist

I must be the only one anymore who could give a rats ass what these dumb shits believe.. I'm not watching their stupid movies and not debating shit that's not real and if they decide to enforce the shit at the end of a gun they can just go ahead and waste a bullet on me because I don't want to live in that world anyway. 

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 22, 2014, 09:57:51 AM
I'm not watching their stupid movies and not debating shit that's not real
It's like watching a group of Star Trek nerds debating which deck of the Enterprise the transporter is on.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on September 22, 2014, 10:44:14 AM
It's like watching a group of Star Trek nerds debating which deck of the Enterprise the transporter is on.
Well, not really--at least Star Trek had something real about it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 22, 2014, 09:14:41 AM
I agree with your assessment of Gen. 2--it is total BS created by a man.
But let me bounce this off of your comments.
Why do people always forget that the bible starts at Gen 1?  In that section we are told that god created humankind in our (????) image--and so He created man and woman in 'our' image and pronounced it good.  No adam, no eve, no garden.  And men and women were created at the same time--no upper hand for either.  After reading Gen. 1 and Gen. 2, the take away should be that one is forewarned about the bible.  It is only consistent in it's inconsistency; almost always contradicts itself and can be used to support just about any position one wants to take.

Gen 1 "in our" image is one reason you have the Trinity, because there has to be a multiplicity to explain it. In Mormonism it is one of the missionary cues to explain a multiplicity of gods, and that also Jesus Christ is the pre-earth spiritual son of god; and the holy ghost, which in Mormonism is a separate personage. The Garden of Eden, like Noah's Ark and other Genesis stories comes from Babylonian legends. There are actually 2 accounts of Genesis.
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/accounts.html

In order to reconcile them, the Rabbis created the Midrash:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midrash

QuoteIn Judaism, the Midrash (Hebrew: מ×"רש‎; plural midrashim) is the body of exegesis of Torah texts along with homiletic stories as taught by Chazal (Rabbinical Judaism sages of the post-Temple era) that provide an intrinsic analysis to passages in the Tanakh.

Midrash is a method of interpreting biblical stories that goes beyond simple distillation of religious, legal, or moral teachings. It fills in gaps left in the biblical narrative regarding events and personalities that are only hinted at.[1]

The purpose of midrash was to resolve problems in the interpretation of difficult passages of the text of the Hebrew Bible, using Rabbinic principles of hermeneutics and philology to align them with the religious and ethical values of religious teachers.
(The Tanakh is the canon of the Hebrew Bible)

And don't forget Lilith who was originally Adam's first wife. She got dumped from the Protestant bible and only Eve is mentioned.
http://witcombe.sbc.edu/eve-women/7evelilith.html

QuoteAccording to midrashic literature, Adam's first wife was not Eve but a woman named Lilith, who was created in the first Genesis account. Only when Lilith rebelled and abandoned Adam did God create Eve, in the second account, as a replacement. In an important 13th century Kabbalah text, the Sefer ha-Zohar ("The Book of Splendour") written by the Spaniard Moses de Leon (c. 1240-1305), it is explained that:

At the same time Jehovah created Adam, he created a woman, Lilith, who like Adam was taken from the earth. She was given to Adam as his wife. But there was a dispute between them about a matter that when it came before the judges had to be discussed behind closed doors. She spoke the unspeakable name of Jehovah and vanished.

Biblical scholars cannot give you a specific, clear line of transition from old to new testament because the source material is only partly known. The Septuagint, the Greek translation from Hebrew/Aramaic is one source that can be documented. Other sources, including the Midrash, played a part, but what and how is unknown.

Desdinova

Hi IS a jealous God.  Remember?  And the kicker is that the pursuit of knowledge is tied to evil, represented by the serpent.  Question the word of God or pursue knowledge is viewed as inherent evil.  You've got to hand it to the sons of bitches, they came up with a hell of a security system there.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Solitary

When my mother, a Methodist, first told me the story of Genesis at six years old. I asked her if the person that was there wrote the story? Slap on the head; "people that ask questions like that go to hell." That was the end of her teaching me about the bible. My dad, an atheists, was delighted.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

Quote from: Desdinova on September 22, 2014, 11:31:18 AM
Hi IS a jealous God.  Remember?  And the kicker is that the pursuit of knowledge is tied to evil, represented by the serpent.  Question the word of God or pursue knowledge is viewed as inherent evil.  You've got to hand it to the sons of bitches, they came up with a hell of a security system there.

Well said. I maintain that religion is based on four things:
guilt
fear
condemnation
judgment

They imply guilt with the concept of sin, impart fear that you will be punished eternally for it, condemn you for your conduct and then judge you, both by society and by the belief of a final judgment.

Savior2006

From Wikipedia

Saul Alinsky died at the age of 63 of a sudden, massive heart attack in 1972, on a street corner in Carmel, California. Two months previously, he had discussed life after death in his interview with Playboy:[4]

ALINSKY: ... if there is an afterlife, and I have anything to say about it, I will unreservedly choose to go to hell.
    PLAYBOY: Why?
    ALINSKY: Hell would be heaven for me. All my life I've been with the have-nots. Over here, if you're a have-not, you're short of dough. If you're a have-not in hell, you're short of virtue. Once I get into hell, I'll start organizing the have-nots over there.
    PLAYBOY: Why them?
    ALINSKY: They're my kind of people.

Let's you know why Alinsky is the boogeyman of the right.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

SGOS

Quote from: Desdinova on September 22, 2014, 11:31:18 AM
You've got to hand it to the sons of bitches, they came up with a hell of a security system there.
I wonder how much of the scam is actually calculated by the charlatans that start up religions.  I think some of it is just being in the right place at the right time.  And some of these religious claims are so off the wall and absurd that it's more like these ideas get thrown against the wall like political claims and accusations during campaigns.  You never can understand why some stick and some don't, but that ones that end up sticking are harvested, cultivated, and exploited, regardless of whether they have substance or not.  Some religions actually find their way out of cult status, but hundreds more attempts just die off quickly.  Is there much rhyme or reason involved?  I wonder.

AllPurposeAtheist

Would anyone be shocked and upset if I said I don't much give a fuck what's in any of those books because I don't believe a word of them? :shhh:

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: SGOS on September 22, 2014, 12:29:38 PM
I wonder how much of the scam is actually calculated by the charlatans that start up religions.  I think some of it is just being in the right place at the right time.  And some of these religious claims are so off the wall and absurd that it's more like these ideas get thrown against the wall like political claims and accusations during campaigns.  You never can understand why some stick and some don't, but that ones that end up sticking are harvested, cultivated, and exploited, regardless of whether they have substance or not.  Some religions actually find their way out of cult status, but hundreds more attempts just die off quickly.  Is there much rhyme or reason involved?  I wonder.
Throw enough shit at a Teflon wall and some is bound to stick..

Desdinova

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 22, 2014, 12:30:22 PM
Would anyone be shocked and upset if I said I don't much give a fuck what's in any of those books because I don't believe a word of them? :shhh:

FFS APA we would be shocked and upset if you did!
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate