Started by stromboli, January 19, 2016, 04:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 19, 2016, 07:45:48 PM
Science predicts - religion sucks dicks.

Most natural situations are turbulent ... subject to chaos theory.  So prediction is there, but it doesn't last very long ;-)  The best suggestion for prophets is ... predict often!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

MrPsycho

I take issue with the idea that no one gets' butt-hurt' when evidence comes in that conflicts with a theory. I get that it should be that way, but I've personally witnessed cases to the contrary. Scientists have egos too (and watching years of work being challenged is not pleasant).

Then again, for every butt-hurt scientist, there is another drinking champagne over the new piece of evidence, so it kind of balances out.

AllPurposeAtheist

Science is neither benign nor malignant. Plenty of negative comes from scientific research just as great things as well.  Hey! Spraying kids heads down with DDT was one of those great scientific discoveries.
I'm not knocking science and I think there should be more of it, but ethical behavior isn't a scientific idea that I know of..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: MrPsycho on March 06, 2016, 10:46:47 AM
I take issue with the idea that no one gets' butt-hurt' when evidence comes in that conflicts with a theory. I get that it should be that way, but I've personally witnessed cases to the contrary. Scientists have egos too (and watching years of work being challenged is not pleasant).

Then again, for every butt-hurt scientist, there is another drinking champagne over the new piece of evidence, so it kind of balances out.

Good science is when new science overturns old science.  The idea that the billionth confirmation of existing equation kabuki is a good thing ... means that we aren't trying hard enough.  Of course it gets harder as we go.  Chaos theory was ignored for 100 years before it took off, and people are still trying to ignore it.  Of course, when there is an overturning, the new empirical evidence has to be re-examined under controlled conditions again and again ... because some empirical evidence is bad science ... experimental science gets it wrong too.  This is why I am not driving a cold fusion car.

Bad experimental science that wasn't double checked ... is why the Nazis fell behind in nuclear physics.  The professor's reputation for experiment was beyond reproach!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.