Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Some people here would like powerful women to do nuggie to them ;-)  I have no attraction to helpless women types either.  But German dominatrices are too far.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Missed opportunity.  A few seconds of a wicked smile dissolving into dust would've been chilling.

SGOS

Upgrade  8/10
Not a bad sci fi flick, but a plot that seems somewhat familiar.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 07, 2018, 02:16:25 PM
Upgrade  8/10
Not a bad sci fi flick, but a plot that seems somewhat familiar.

Seri-in-you ... for non-soy-boys.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Justice League: For the life of me I can't see why people expect so much from a comic book movie. The source ear will never make silk purse. The movie was fun to watch as I didn't spend time complaining about things in it. (One guy groused that the corn should have been taller when Clark takes Lois back to the old homestead.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 07, 2018, 07:28:37 PM
Justice League: For the life of me I can't see why people expect so much from a comic book movie. The source ear will never make silk purse. The movie was fun to watch as I didn't spend time complaining about things in it. (One guy groused that the corn should have been taller when Clark takes Lois back to the old homestead.)

I mean... yeah... but... no.

First off, it just wasn't that great of movie. If you enjoyed it, that's dope and more power to you but... it's possible to enjoy a bad movie, and this was a relatively bad movie.

Secondly, people expect great things from comic book movies because most modern-era comic book movies (since Iron Man I) have been great movies.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 07, 2018, 07:28:37 PM(One guy groused that the corn should have been taller when Clark takes Lois back to the old homestead.)
I haven't seen the movie, but they fucked up corn???  How can you fuck up corn?!!!  IT'S CORN!

It's a pretty common sight, especially in the heartland.  If you're one of those people who never leave the city and you don't know what corn is like, slip me $20 and I will sketch you a realistic picture of a cornfield.  FFS.

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 07, 2018, 07:28:37 PM

comic book characters of today are modern day greek and roman heroes and villains. You can study the myth and legend of characters like hercules/heracles, or Achilles, or Perseus, or Theseus, all legends and tragedies and such.
Thats what characters like superman, batman, wolverine, wonder woman, Thor, hulk or starlord are today, modern day heroes built around made up stores battling made up powerful foes.

And there have been many great writers and artists who give these characters that status, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, Jack Kirby, Mike Mignola, creating amazing stories and worlds that really can be thought provoking (like watchmen, from hell, batman the dark knight, the killing joke, x-men god loves man kills, all star superman).

Just dismissing comic books because of the old trope of 'its just for kids' isn't giving people their dues the depth of work they put into these creations.

And given what I just said, yeah, we do expect and wish for the same quality in these movies as we would expect from the best of the comics as examples I mentioned.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on September 07, 2018, 08:53:02 PM
comic book characters of today are modern day greek and roman heroes and villains. You can study the myth and legend of characters like hercules/heracles, or Achilles, or Perseus, or Theseus, all legends and tragedies and such.
Yep.  And comic book heroes generally aren't just weirdos in spandex, they're usually symbolic of something else.  Batman embodies justice, Iron Man embodies the promise (and perils) of technology, The Hulk is Dr. Jekyll/Mr Hyde, Adam Warlock is essentially space jesus (he was literally crucified).  There's a lot more going on here than meets the eye.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on September 07, 2018, 07:31:07 PM
Secondly, people expect great things from comic book movies because most modern-era comic book movies (since Iron Man I) have been great movies.
I don't expect as much from DC movies.  Sometimes they surprise me, however.  I liked Wonder Woman, Batman especially the first two, and Superman.  The X-Men are usually a good bet, and V for Vendetta was wonderful, but half of them leave me somewhat disappointed because I keep expecting them to rise to the level of Marvel.  The potential is there, but they don't seem to capitalize on it as well.  But I'll always show up at the theater when a new one comes out. 

SGOS

Just dismissing comic books because of the old trope of 'its just for kids' isn't giving people their dues the depth of work they put into these creations.
I kind of understand the comics are for kids perception, but I've long ago thrown that out as a reason to dis them.  In fact, they create a visceral reaction in me as if I were a little kid.  And I like that feeling.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on September 07, 2018, 09:46:44 PMIn fact, they create a visceral reaction in me as if I were a little kid.  And I like that feeling.
I know, right?  The Technovore issue alone really freaked me out.  Imagine Xenomorphs meets The Borg meets T-1000.  Resilient, perpetually growing/improving, and predatory.  And not just physically threatening, but a complete antithesis of Stark's dream of using technology to create a better world.  Visceral reaction is right.

Cavebear

Thats what characters like superman, batman, wolverine, wonder woman, Thor, hulk or starlord are today, modern day heroes built around made up stores battling made up powerful foes.

And there have been many great writers and artists who give these characters that status, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, Jack Kirby, Mike Mignola, creating amazing stories and worlds that really can be thought provoking (like watchmen, from hell, batman the dark knight, the killing joke, x-men god loves man kills, all star superman).

And given what I just said, yeah, we do expect and wish for the same quality in these movies as we would expect from the best of the comics as examples I mentioned.

I'm impressed.  Not many people equate old myths with modern sci-fi characters.  I think they miss a lot of understanding when they don't.  Spiderman understands that "with great power comes great responsibility".  Wolverine is a modern Hercules.  Mr Fantastic (yeah I know the movies wern't loved - but *I* liked them) was a great thinker (flexible, get it?), Iron Man is determined.  Hulk is tortured and cursed with destructive strength Bruce Banner doesn't want.  Captain America is a good morality of the past. Vision has a new origin.  Etc...

The character they ruined is Nick Fury.   

We all need a little hope of "doing well" in a crisis.  If superhero imaginings help, good. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Nicolas Cage is getting a 95% at Rotten Tomatoes for his latest film Mandy.  I doesn't appear to be playing near me, which probably means it won't be playing most places, but 95% for Cage breaks a long string of bad movies, although it looks like a blood fest, and not the good kind.