Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on October 15, 2016, 06:25:57 AM
I didn't think I would like it because there have been droves of "cop buddy" movies that went from bad to really bad.  Nice Guys was the first one I really liked.  I don't know if it's widely recognized, but I've heard the term, cop buddy, to describe the genre by at least one reviewer.  I saw it at the theater, and then rented it when it came out.

Yeah, I didn't expect to like it either. I didn't know that term. But it was exactly what I thought. I first peeked at it then got hooked.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on November 12, 2016, 04:12:43 PM
Could someone have done better than Cumberpatch?  I don't know.  I wondered the same thing, but I wasn't that familiar with him to begin with.  I thought he was convincing.  By the way, I went to the movie twice.  I don't think I've ever done that before.

I've seen him in the tv series sherlock, which I loved, and The Imitation Game. He also voiced Smaug in the hobbit.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Benedril Cuminsnatch is a top 3 actor in holywood atm imo.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 12, 2016, 06:38:00 PM
Benedril Cuminsnatch is a top 3 actor in holywood atm imo.

He may well be, and is a good actor, and starred in some great film roles.

I'm just finding it hard now to get back into watching him, where, and sorry to bring it up again, he's been making remarks against the british public how they should all be bringing in migrants into their homes for nothing to give them room and board.. when he owns several homes himself, including his mansion.

(You know Benny, if you sold that piano, you might buy some refugees some water they need, how about it?)

Which could house, what, around 50 migrant families? Also, for his theatre production of hamlet, where some people paid around 1k a ticket to see him act, he then had his cronies heckle the audience to give their money to help migrants in need, and accused those leaving without donating as 'tory scum'.
A modern day Bob Geldoff, loves to scream at people for money for a charity, only to return to his bed worth several thousand pound, a canary in a gilded cage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3270170/To-preach-not-preach-question-Benedict-Cumberbatch-delivers-speech-refugees-encore-RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-says-stick-day-job.html

This is why I find it hard to remove the man from the actor, especially when the actor thrusts this in peoples faces during his overpriced performance. If he gave up some of his wealth for the crisis,

drunkenshoe

The Orphanage.

How is this a horror or even a ghost movie?! Talk about false advertising. It was so sad. :sad2: That can happen in real life.  And a mother can easily see those things afterwards. I dunno. *Sniff.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

I was that to, it was less jump scare and more character focused then anything. Good movie, much like Pans Labyrinth.

drunkenshoe

Babadook

I don't know what to think about this movie. Not too bad. But designed to scare one demographic in one specific situation I guess. 

drunkenshoe

Conjuring ...classic story of deomonic possession. 'Based on a true story'. :lol:   

I didn't know about Ed and Lorrain Warren. Apparently they were/are famous in the USA.

drunkenshoe

Also I have seen The Hounted House on the Hill in the morning as the beginning of my random horror movies marathon and that was really bad.

Horror movies used to be fun. :sad2:

Munch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 14, 2016, 10:23:33 AM
Babadook

I don't know what to think about this movie. Not too bad. But designed to scare one demographic in one specific situation I guess.

I loved the movie a hell of a lot. Okay, the kid in it was awful, but having known kids, how they can stretch any sane person to their limits, the role the kid presented was how I would often think kids as doing, and really, Essie Davis' role in the movie was one of the most chilling roles I've seen in horror in a long time, as the mother who slowly losing her mind.

(spoilers)

And I think that is what I loved about the movie, you are never sure what it real, her slowly losing her sanity, matched against the kids imagination, him believing whats happening, against her struggle, made me rewatch the film, is mr babadook real, or just the imagination of a child seeing a monster when his own mother is slowly losing her sanity and lashing out at the thing she hates, what she blames for the death of her husband, her own son.

This movie made me love Essie Davis as an actress, and whatever else, should go down as her most emotional and passionate roles.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 12, 2016, 04:12:43 PM
Could someone have done better than Cumberpatch?  I don't know.  I wondered the same thing, but I wasn't that familiar with him to begin with.  I thought he was convincing.  By the way, I went to the movie twice.  I don't think I've ever done that before.

That is called Deja Cumberbatch ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

On another subject, having been watching harry potter films again, and seeing Chris Stuckmann's review of them, it made me think of something I thought of a while ago from the movies, and still find it funny to think of today.

One of the themes in the harry potter universe, in the wizarding world he lives in, is how good or bad, the wizards and magic users in the wizarding world regard 'muggles', or humans, how the most elite look down on half blood wizards for having 'muggle blood',  or mud bloods, and how even the nicer wizards regard humans as being lesser then they are.
This I've always found funny about the harry potter universe, because you can really look at the world they live in, and regard what humans can do.

So they can conjure flames and light candles from it and balls of light, yeah, well humans have invented powerful torches that shine up a room far better then any candle light can. Wizards have dragons and flying cars, well humans have stealth bombers and missiles. Wizards have spells that can one shot kill you, well humans have guns that can kill you in one shot. Wizards have magical healing potions and spells, well humans have things like Chemotherapy. they have owls.. we have the bloody internet.

Its just funny with how the wizards regard humans with lower class vitriol, even showing most humans in the movies/books as dumb creatures like the dursleys or the old graveyard keeper, and yet if humans dropped a nuclear bomb on hogwarts, I doubt any magical barrier could protect against it.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Munch on November 14, 2016, 01:11:43 PM
On another subject, having been watching harry potter films again, and seeing Chris Stuckmann's review of them, it made me think of something I thought of a while ago from the movies, and still find it funny to think of today.

One of the themes in the harry potter universe, in the wizarding world he lives in, is how good or bad, the wizards and magic users in the wizarding world regard 'muggles', or humans, how the most elite look down on half blood wizards for having 'muggle blood',  or mud bloods, and how even the nicer wizards regard humans as being lesser then they are.
This I've always found funny about the harry potter universe, because you can really look at the world they live in, and regard what humans can do.

So they can conjure flames and light candles from it and balls of light, yeah, well humans have invented powerful torches that shine up a room far better then any candle light can. Wizards have dragons and flying cars, well humans have stealth bombers and missiles. Wizards have spells that can one shot kill you, well humans have guns that can kill you in one shot. Wizards have magical healing potions and spells, well humans have things like Chemotherapy. they have owls.. we have the bloody internet.

Its just funny with how the wizards regard humans with lower class vitriol, even showing most humans in the movies/books as dumb creatures like the dursleys or the old graveyard keeper, and yet if humans dropped a nuclear bomb on hogwarts, I doubt any magical barrier could protect against it.

I feel Like such a fucking nerd for saying this, but it is said in the books, I don't know if it's the main books or the extended lore, that muggle devices and machines don't work on the grounds of hogwarts. Atomb-bombs would fall under that category.

Nerd-mode off now.
Yeah, I think muggles and wizards have more potential together than apart.
They could cure the sick, feed The starving, ...
And we could teach them a few sports that make sense, a monitary system that makes sense, we would stop poluting their world, ...

Oh wow, sorry. I was sure I'd shut off that nerd-mode.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on November 12, 2016, 08:28:08 PM
He may well be, and is a good actor, and starred in some great film roles.

I'm just finding it hard now to get back into watching him, where, and sorry to bring it up again, he's been making remarks against the british public how they should all be bringing in migrants into their homes for nothing to give them room and board.. when he owns several homes himself, including his mansion.

(You know Benny, if you sold that piano, you might buy some refugees some water they need, how about it?)

Which could house, what, around 50 migrant families? Also, for his theatre production of hamlet, where some people paid around 1k a ticket to see him act, he then had his cronies heckle the audience to give their money to help migrants in need, and accused those leaving without donating as 'tory scum'.
A modern day Bob Geldoff, loves to scream at people for money for a charity, only to return to his bed worth several thousand pound, a canary in a gilded cage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3270170/To-preach-not-preach-question-Benedict-Cumberbatch-delivers-speech-refugees-encore-RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-says-stick-day-job.html

This is why I find it hard to remove the man from the actor, especially when the actor thrusts this in peoples faces during his overpriced performance. If he gave up some of his wealth for the crisis,

That is exactly what happened to the the Zhivago family in Dr Zhivago ... Comrade Munch ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 14, 2016, 07:02:27 AM
The Orphanage.

How is this a horror or even a ghost movie?! Talk about false advertising. It was so sad. :sad2: That can happen in real life.  And a mother can easily see those things afterwards. I dunno. *Sniff.

The best ghost story I ever saw ... was a short story about a dead girl, trying to reconcile with her mother, who had neglected her and the girl had accidentally died.  I think the mother's unresolved remorse was driving the haunting.  A young man comes for a visit, and it enmeshed into the haunting, until the reconciliation occurs.  You don't know what is happening until the very end, while the climax builds from the start all the way to the conclusion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.