As I grow older, one question continues to plague me.

Started by the_antithesis, February 20, 2013, 01:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

What the hell is breakdancing?

[youtube:3423n41w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMasVRj4KI[/youtube:3423n41w]

Seriously. I can watch hours of this stuff and not comprehend the first thing about it.

Also, why was this a thing?

Brian37

Why do people do anything at all? People like different things. What is hard to understand about that? We have always been a diverse species.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Aroura33

I think all breakdancing originally stemmed from martial arts imitation.  I read somewhere that some of the first people to do it back in the 70's were inspired by kung-fu movies.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

stromboli

Brian37

Quote from: "stromboli"U dance
U broke it
U pay for it

Hell no, I ain't  paying for shit. The floor was wet I'm suing.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

TrueStory

Quote from: "the_antithesis"What the hell is breakdancing?

It's how to settle a dispute, with a dance off.
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

stromboli

Plagued by break dancing? I think that is a symptom of Alzheimer's.

AllPurposeAtheist

It's street performance.. nothing new there, but it's an offshoot of other performance art and art is subjective.. You either like it or you don't.. It's still performance art..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Thumpalumpacus

The kind of breaking that I always thought was great was called "poppin'".  The famous "robot" dance was once part of it.  I'm no big fan of dance, and most forms of the art bore me to tears, but there's something that tickles my eyes about stuff like this:

[youtube:21roe3kg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziWAHKUaAUk[/youtube:21roe3kg]
<insert witty aphorism here>

Brian37

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"It's street performance.. nothing new there, but it's an offshoot of other performance art and art is subjective.. You either like it or you don't.. It's still performance art..

:roll:

Don't roll your eyes. You simply don't like it, so? I don't like baseball or soccer. It's not my thing either, so?

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"It's street performance.. nothing new there, but it's an offshoot of other performance art and art is subjective.. You either like it or you don't.. It's still performance art..

:roll:

Are you arguing that art has objective standards and metrics?

Or just derogating this particular expression of art?
<insert witty aphorism here>

FlatEarth1024

Quote from: "the_antithesis"What the hell is breakdancing?
Breakdancing is, in my opinion, the 'professional wrestling' of performing arts.  It's not 'real' dancing, but the guys who do this stuff are some of the most physically gifted performers you will ever see...hence the wrestling comparison.  People can call it fake if they want, but I know people who have been dancing for 25 years who would have a heart attack if they tried some of these moves.

By the way, I had a cat that could windmill!

Jutter

First there was rap. Then in the late seventies/early eighties two forms of streetdance were populary preformed to rap-music, adding up to what we now call hip-hop.
The two popular forms of streetdance were electric boogy and breakdance.
Electric boogy with its robotic elements had more in common with classic mime... and it's where MJ stole his fucking moonwalk from. It was called the spacewalk first.
Breakdancing is rythmic acrobatics with handstands, headspins salto's and whatnot.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

bennyboy

Quote from: "Aroura33"I think all breakdancing originally stemmed from martial arts imitation.  I read somewhere that some of the first people to do it back in the 70's were inspired by kung-fu movies.
It was a fusion right from the start-- definitely mime, fighting, gymnastics and other modern dance forms were influences right from the start.
Insanity is the only sensible response to the universe.  The sane are just making stuff up.