What If the Universe is Actually a Simulation?

Started by TrooperFive, February 01, 2015, 10:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrooperFive

What if the universe is a simulation? Do you think it's technically possible? If it were, how would it make you feel? I'd like to see your opinions. Btw I'm not saying I believe the universe is a simulation, but a bit of speculation is always healthy.
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled.
~Mark Twain

Icarus

Quote from: TrooperFive on February 01, 2015, 10:02:45 PM
a bit of speculation is always healthy.

Speculation with no basis is healthy? Where'd you hear that gem?

Solitary

What difference would it make, we are still fucked!  :madu: :pai: :flowers: :eek: :borg: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

The universe as simulation/hologram has been gone over here a few times. It comes back to the same thing- evidence. Until there is clear and credible evidence, it is only a hypothesis.

PickelledEggs

Shiranu

What if there was a golf ball that granted you immortality 10,000,000,000,000 light years away and maintains a constant distance away from you no matter how fast you head towards it? How would it make you feel?

Who cares? There is no way we could observe it, no way to prove it exists, no way it will ever effect your life... so who cares? The simulation theory, like the god theory, is the same... there is zero chance of proving it, it makes zero difference to your life (other than psychological effects you can get from non-god religions like Buddhism)... who cares?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

TrooperFive

On second thought, yeah... never mind. From now on I probably shouldn't post the craziest idea that comes to my mind without thinking twice about it.

This has been another post from your friendly neighborhood Trooper.
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled.
~Mark Twain

SGOS

I believe that universes, galaxies, and solar systems are all spinning about stars, suns, and black holes at their center, and they are just large atomic particles.  Our solar system is just an atomic particle in a giant frying pan in an even bigger solar system.

Bong

Believing in god makes me atheist. If the god can live from the beginning of everything. So the Universe. And theoretically its a proven thing that the Universe dont need a god to create itself. The universe was always here in different forms always. If anyone questions it, he questions the existence of god. Another word the universe itself is the god. And every portions of the universe are parts of god. Im a god and my cat is a god.
I was a Muslim once. Then I started to ask questions.
And found out that religions and all these craps are fake.
Omnipotence paradox to start with.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PopeyesPappy

So what if it is? Failing someone learning to manipulate the code, i.e. becoming superman, it makes absolutely no difference to the beings inhabiting the simulated universe because we can't tell the difference.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Jason78

What if the universe is a simulation?

Then it's doing a fantastic job.

Do you think it's technically possible?

Yes.  Difficult, but not impossible.  We create simulations all the time.

If it were, how would it make you feel?

I don't know if there's an appropriate emotional response to being simulated.   

I'd like to see your opinions. Btw I'm not saying I believe the universe is a simulation, but a bit of speculation is always healthy.

Whether the universe is simulated or not, I still have to live here.   
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Jason78

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 03, 2015, 07:34:10 AM
So what if it is? Failing someone learning to manipulate the code, i.e. becoming superman, it makes absolutely no difference to the beings inhabiting the simulated universe because we can't tell the difference.

I think that's called physics :)
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

trdsf

Is there really a difference between living in a real universe, and living in a simulation that no test can possibly differentiate from a real one?

If it is simulated, it does a remarkable job of sticking to some pretty mundane rules.  I mean, I'd've programmed in some superpowers or something.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan