News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 22, 2016, 02:24:40 AM
I also use desultory, ethereal, and languor.  I'm also one of the ever-diminishing group of people who can still differentiate affect and effect, and therefore can use affect instead of impact in sentences. (e.g. budget cuts affected teacher salaries)
I like "pettifogging". Endless useful on the internet forum scene.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

Circumlocution is one of my favorite words, particularly when reading certain online forums.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 22, 2016, 05:35:48 AM
Circumlocution is one of my favorite words, particularly when reading certain online forums.
I use the phrase "slander and calumny" when needed.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

... And if you don't dress like that when browsing the bookstore you're doing it wrong.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

It's not me. Defo not me. I don't waste money like that. Never. Nu-huh. Nope. Wouldn't do it.
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 22, 2016, 06:41:55 AM
It's not me. Defo not me. I don't waste money like that. Never. Nu-huh. Nope. Wouldn't do it.

How is buying books wasting money? :sad2:

It's a ceremony. It's a ritual. I look for a book store first whenever I visit some place. Esp. used book stores are special for me. You wouldn't believe what you find at the other side of the world. The writings on the books. :lol: Crawling, rolling on the floor between cases, climbing shelves. It's a bit dusty, but smells awesome.

I have been using an old fashioned kindle for the last 6 years, but never stopped buying books. Not doable. No electronic device can have the charisma of a good book. 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 22, 2016, 06:51:55 AM
How is buying books wasting money? :sad2:

It's a ceremony. It's a ritual. I look for a book store first whenever I visit some place. Esp. used book stores are special for me. You wouldn't believe what you find at the other side of the world. The writings on the books. :lol: Crawling, rolling on the floor between cases, climbing shelves. It's a bit dusty, but smells awesome.

I have been using an old fashioned kindle for the last 6 years, but never stopped buying books. Not doable. No electronic device can have the charisma of a good book. 

First, you should flip the whole post.

Second, when I want to get out of the house I go to book stores, new and used, as first choice.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 22, 2016, 02:24:40 AM
I also use desultory, ethereal, and languor.  I'm also one of the ever-diminishing group of people who can still differentiate affect and effect, and therefore can use affect instead of impact in sentences. (e.g. budget cuts affected teacher salaries)
Bravo!  I like reading the writings of people with a good vocabulary. Size matters--the bigger, the better. :)))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 22, 2016, 07:03:10 AM
First, you should flip the whole post.

Second, when I want to get out of the house I go to book stores, new and used, as first choice.

LOL OK. Flipped. When you said I would never waste money like that I thought you refered to the cartoon.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 22, 2016, 09:38:46 AM
LOL OK. Flipped. When you said I would never waste money like that I thought you refered to the cartoon.
When we moved to this house the first thing I did was buy five more bookcases. We didn't have the room in the previous house to put everything on the shelves. Now we have one room that is nothing but bookcases and comfy chairs.
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

I have a few small cases. Cheap IKEA ones.

aitm

Once the kid and grandkid moved back in, my library was relocated to the attic. I miss my books.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on February 22, 2016, 10:35:00 AM
Once the kid and grandkid moved back in, my library was relocated to the attic. I miss my books.
My wife had hers in storage until I moved her here from Albuquerque. Then they stayed in boxes in the room where I kept my boxes of books. (I received fifty cases of books from Denver when my partner at Hyperwar died.)
PZ Myers