What do you guys think of an atheist getting a degree in religious studies?

Started by JustSomeGuy, February 10, 2015, 03:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustSomeGuy

I started going to a community college and majoring in physics. After that I plan to transfer to the nearby university in my area and pursure a bachelors in physics. Now, something I have considered is either geting a minor in religious studies or double majoring in both physics and religious studies. The reason for this is because I want a deeper understanding of what it is I don't believe.

My brother had a friend who was an atheist but he had a theology degree and actually teaches it. He knows the bible in and out. So, I'm just curious what you guys think.

Munch

Yeah I'm fine with that. As atheists, having knowledge of what goes on in things like the bible or Qur'an gives you a lot more weight to any argument you have against people. In fact you can guarantee in studying these books you will have a deeper knowledge of what these faiths are based around then actual Muslims and Christians, since they probably don't even read it themselves, and only know it from some priest giving their versions of it all.

Just think of it like your studying star wars or Tolkien mythology, you don't believe in these stories anymore the religious books, but it gives you weight to seeing the shit religious dogma uses.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

_Xenu_

Taking a deep interest in religion isn't unusual for an atheist, but there's still more practical degrees out there for you. What would you use such a degree for exactly?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

stromboli

JustSomeGuy

Quote from: _Xenu_ on February 10, 2015, 06:17:44 AM
Taking a deep interest in religion isn't unusual for an atheist, but there's still more practical degrees out there for you. What would you use such a degree for exactly?

I want to be able to explain to people that what they believe in is nonsense and actually know what I'm talking about and I know their holy book like the back of my hand. But you may be right, not sure if a degree in it is worth it.

stromboli

The question to me is the long term value of it versus some other subject that would be more useful. Religious studies might be a current interest, but down the road I would wonder at the value of it. I minored in communications, and that was pretty useless for the most part. Think of it that way.

Mr.Obvious

I personally don't see it flowing well with getting a major in physics, just because there are no jobs I can think of in which one of the two can complement the other. (If you were to do social studies or psychology even, I could better see.) Except perhaps if you're going to become a writer about science vs religion.
But all in all, if it's something that interests you and you want to do it; do it. It's your life.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 10, 2015, 01:03:33 PM
I personally don't see it flowing well with getting a major in physics, just because there are no jobs I can think of in which one of the two can complement the other. (If you were to do social studies or psychology even, I could better see.) Except perhaps if you're going to become a writer about science vs religion.
But all in all, if it's something that interests you and you want to do it; do it. It's your life.

Exactly. You need to think in terms of what will be to your best advantage. Religious studies is to me more of an interest than something to gain from career wise. Something to complement your major.

Johan

Yeah what they said. I'm all for following your own path and doing what you feel is right for you and all that. But I've also come to see higher education as more of an investment than anything else. So unless someone else is paying the bill, I can't see the point of a degree that has no meaningful income potential. And even if someone else is paying the bill I'd be wary.

I knew a guy in high school. His folks put him through college and he majored in history. At his college graduation party I asked him what his plans were. He had none. He said well about the only thing I can do with my degree is teach and I hate teaching. After lots of false starts and dead end jobs he finally went back to school. He's a pharmacist now. I'm sure his parents are still ecstatic over how much of their retirement they poured into getting him a degree that will never ever be anything more than a worthless piece of paper for him.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Sal1981

Go for it.

Personally I wouldn't, since I got tired of the Babble after 5 odd readings, so I have no interest in being an expert in it.

Youssuf Ramadan

Half my degree points came from theology, and I've been an atheist for pretty much as long as I can remember.  I always suspected religion was bullshit, and welcomed the opportunity to garner some knowledge of how the bible was put together and what the lead-up to all that stuff involved.  Theology isn't just about studying the bible, though that element of it is very interesting, especially with regard to books such as Genesis, which is basically a bunch of ideas from pre-existing near-eastern religions, reworked into a monotheistic framework and repackaged as a recruitment drive.  The philosophy of religion side was great too - I got to sit in on modules from the main theology degree with all the future-priests - it was fucking hilarious - they were all expecting to have their beliefs validated by study.  There were a lot of glum little faces during the studies of the arguments for the existence of god, and even glummer faces when they did the 'Search For The Historical Jesus' module and realised it was backed up by absolutely fuck-all.  Laugh? I nearly died!   :fU:

Atheon

I think it's a great idea. You'll gain plenty of knowledge and insight with which to examine the issue of religion more critically.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Solitary

I think all knowledge is good unless you know the guy behind you is a lunatic with a shot gun aiming to kill you and you can't get away. Seriously, I think it is a good idea, but debating religion is really stupid because it isn't rational or logical because you can't win the argument unless you are better at debating and using slick maneuvers that prove nothing. If you like debating just for the fun of it, it really would help though. At this original forum I debated two religious leaders, and when another one came to the forum he was told by one of them not to debate with me because I was a religious scholar. I'm not professionally, but know the Testaments as good as most scholars. It was glorious to put them in their place. But this only works if you can catch them in an obvious falsehood that can be shown to be false. The truth is always the truth, even if it is a lie written by ignorant people and believed to be true by the majority. Have fun! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: Solitary on February 13, 2015, 04:50:02 PM
I think all knowledge is good unless you know the guy behind you is a lunatic with a shot gun aiming to kill you and you can't get away. Seriously, I think it is a good idea, but debating religion is really stupid because it isn't rational or logical because you can't win the argument unless you are better at debating and using slick maneuvers that prove nothing. If you like debating just for the fun of it, it really would help though. At this original forum I debated two religious leaders, and when another one came to the forum he was told by one of them not to debate with me because I was a religious scholar. I'm not professionally, but know the Testaments as good as most scholars. It was glorious to put them in their place. But this only works if you can catch them in an obvious falsehood that can be shown to be false. The truth is always the truth, even if it is a lie written by ignorant people and believed to be true by the majority. Have fun! Solitary

Yes indeed. There is a certain amount of lulz to be had from beating up a fundie with their own religion.  But then I'm probably a bad person for doing that.  I found that on the whole fundies know surprisingly little about their own theology.  I guess that doesn't surprise me any more after quite a few years of trolling the herd.... However, I don't tend to do much of that these days.  It got to be a bit like shooting fish in a barrel.