News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Meaningful knowledge

Started by dtq123, January 11, 2015, 09:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtq123

Most people say that "Knowledge is power," but not all knowledge is equal, or is it?

What type of knowledge is meaningful? And is there a dichotomy between these types of knowledge, or is it a spectrum? Is the value of knowledge subjective, or are there times when some knowledge is objectively more valuable than the rest?

I don't hold any position, but I'm thinking of one and will post soon. Until then, please post your positions!
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

aitm

I would suggest that knowledge that is beneficial is "power". The first person who could weave a basket to hold water had as much power in their day as todays person that can manipulate technology. Knowledge that is not beneficial is relegated to useless information.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

As the self-declared leading proponent of the Knowledge is Power mantra, I'll take a crack at it.

Some knowledge is more useful than other knowledge.  For example, Jim next door is having chest pains isn't particularly useful knowledge compared to say, there's a fire in the kitchen.  However, seemingly trivial knowledge can be important later on.  The fact that Jim is having chest pains is actually pretty important info when it turns out that he's actually having a heart attack.

And even obscure knowledge can be somewhat important.  NASA has been cataloging the hell out of extremely distant galaxies.  What's the point?  Well, it may help us better understand the universe.

Or take trivia.  These are facts that you will never ever use to do anything practical.  For example, knowing the famous scene where Indiana Jones shoots his sword-wielding attacker was originally slated as a serious fight scene can help a fan appreciate the scene even more.  I'd argue that even trivia has some value.

GrinningYMIR

"Knowledge is power, guard it well." Who said that Hydra? Trivia is my thing!!

Despite what the comic says, I don't think there's really useless or non-meaningful knowledge, there's always a place to put some sort of information to use, it just has to be the right place.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on January 11, 2015, 10:43:54 PM"Knowledge is power, guard it well." Who said that Hydra? Trivia is my thing!!
Blood Ravens.  :P

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

dtq123

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 11, 2015, 10:22:56 PM
For example, knowing the famous scene where Indiana Jones shoots his sword-wielding attacker was originally slated as a serious fight scene can help a fan appreciate the scene even more.  I'd argue that even trivia has some value.

Why would appreciation in movies be a good validation for making trivia useful? I don't get it.

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on January 11, 2015, 10:43:54 PM
I don't think there's really useless or non-meaningful knowledge, there's always a place to put some sort of information to use, it just has to be the right place.

Could you tell me how learning to solve a Rubik's Cube has any use for an individual?
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Hydra009

Quote from: dtq123 on January 12, 2015, 11:27:27 PMWhy would appreciation in movies be a good validation for making trivia useful? I don't get it.
It's not.  Recall that earlier, I defined trivia as non-useful information (can't be used to do anything practical), so it's a pretty safe bet that I don't claim that trivia is useful.  What I did claim was that trivia possesses at least a marginal value as a source of amusement.

GrinningYMIR

QuoteCould you tell me how learning to solve a Rubik's Cube has any use for an individual?

Actually a Rubik's cube is quite good for memory exercises, hand eye coordination and mental training, there's actually a class that was taught at my high school, Calculus BC I think, where a student had to solve one in a certain amount of time in order to pass an assignment, and then they had to calculate some formula associated with it.

dtq123

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on January 13, 2015, 08:40:09 AM
Actually a Rubik's cube is quite good for memory exercises, hand eye coordination and mental training, there's actually a class that was taught at my high school, Calculus BC I think, where a student had to solve one in a certain amount of time in order to pass an assignment, and then they had to calculate some formula associated with it.

It's a good memory exercise, I'll give you that.

But other than that test that you mentioned, what purpose does it serve in everyday life?

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 13, 2015, 12:42:21 AM
It's not.  Recall that earlier, I defined trivia as non-useful information (can't be used to do anything practical), so it's a pretty safe bet that I don't claim that trivia is useful.  What I did claim was that trivia possesses at least a marginal value as a source of amusement.

So... Is amusement meaningless? You described trivia as meaningless, so does that make entertainment meaningless since a source of it is found in trivia?
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Jason78

It's not meaningless even though it may only mean something in and of itself.  Being able to recall every team that won the FA Cup is developing the same skill that would allow you recall resistor colour codes.

Think of it as training. :)
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mike Cl

There is no such thing as useless knowledge.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sal1981

Knowledge is a tool (if you want to look at it that way) as much as a hammer or saw is. Plus I think without knowledge, you can't really do anything, least of which is an exercise in power.

So, attaining knowledge (i.e. learning) is pretty much the same as gaining strength, adding to ones power and what one is able to do.

Hydra009

Quote from: dtq123 on January 13, 2015, 08:59:30 PMSo... Is amusement meaningless? You described trivia as meaningless, so does that make entertainment meaningless since a source of it is found in trivia?
Okay, so that's twice now you've come away with things that you think I said that I didn't even remotely say.  I'm starting to sense a pattern here.  I'm going to be really nice about this yet again, but next time I won't be so nice.

I didn't say that amusement is meaningless.  Nor did I say that trivia is meaningless.  I actually didn't say that anything is meaningless.  So I have no idea where you got that from.  I defined trivia as non-useful information, information with no practical purpose.  For example, strengths is the longest word in the english language that contains only one vowel.  This isn't a particularly useful fact to know, but it is mildly amusing.  Even trivia has some value.

Solitary

I think all knowledge is good, and ignorance is bad, unless I know a man behind me is going to take my head off with a sword and I can't move.  :eek: :shifty:  :biggrin2:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.