Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 02, 2018, 06:49:09 PM
There are strong hints that Captain Marvel is going to be in part two.  Maybe even Hawkeye and Ant-Man.  And - this is a hell of a stretch - The Sentry.

There's enough firepower left.  It's just scattered and demoralized.  Getting the gang together is going to be the hardest part.
I just finished watching Dr. Strange again.  I think some artifacts of that movie are going to come into play in reestablishing order in the next Infinity Wars.  I think the solution to undoing Thanos' mischief is to turn back time.  How that happens I'm not sure, but Dr. Strange gave the last clue offered in Infinity Wars.  He had played through all possible scenarios, and giving up the stone he said,  "It was the only way."

Now going back to the Original Dr. Strange movie, there are some loose ends.  The final credits scene makes little sense.  Mordo traces down Pangborn (the guy that told Strange about Kamar-Tag), kills him and tells him there are "too many sorcerers," as Pangborn goes back into his former paralysis.   WTF?  The only thing that implies is that the minor character, Pangborn is going to show up again.

As the Sorcerer Supreme is dying she confides to Strange that Pangborn cured himself by taping into a mysterious power.  I had the feeling it was a forbidden act of some sort, maybe something to do with the Dark Dimension and Dormammu.

After Strange defeats Dormammu, he tells him he must remove his minions from Earth forever.  He returns to Hong Kong where the minions start to dissolve into little pieces in the same manner that Thanos removed random beings from the Earth.  It has something to do with the same stone Strange wore around his neck.  Or maybe it was a special effect just being reused in another movie.

I think these things might be key to Infinity Wars 2.  Partly, it may be wishful thinking on my part.  I never got enough of Dr. Strange.  That need to see more of him is more overwhelming than for any other Marvel Character.  There's too much about him left to be explored.  He's deep and mysterious.

Gawdzilla Sama

Pangborn was killed because he channeled dark energy to make his legs work again. Mordo doesn't like that kind of thing.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

That's what I thought.  Mordo gets his nose out of joint over it and leaves Hong Kong in a huff.  Forget that he was part of a team that saved the Earth!  He no longer has the stomach for taping all the resources necessary to do it.  I'm not sure why.  The Ancient One said he was inflexible.  Mordo says the price is too high.  For saving the Earth??  But at the same time he takes on a dark and sinister air.  It seems like more than disapproval over some violation of his code of ethics.  I think he harbors a lust for power and control and hasn't shown his hand yet.  After he leaves, Strange uses the stone to turn back time and restore Hong Kong to it's previous glory.

Restoring order always seems to be possible by turning back time using the stone.  It's also what Strange used to trap Dormammu in a time loop.  Throughout his learning, the power and danger of altering time or "breaking time" keeps coming up.  He seems to have mastered it, and all his sparkler circles and portals not withstanding, altering time seems to be his greatest power.

Gawdzilla Sama

But at some point he will have to earn the right to wear the Eye of Agamoto (and it looks like that has already happened by the time "Ragnarok" comes around).

Mordo is basically psychotic. He fooled the Ancient One into believing he had conquered his demons, but the revelation of her chicanery tipped him back into Crazy Land.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 16, 2018, 07:27:42 AM
Mordo is basically psychotic. He fooled the Ancient One into believing he had conquered his demons, but the revelation of her chicanery tipped him back into Crazy Land.
I've wondered if I was predisposed to the idea that he was a psychotic after seeing him play in a recurring role as a despicable badass in the TV Firefly Series.  He makes a great villain.  I don't think he advanced as quickly as Dr. Strange.  I doubt that he ever mastered or even messed with the Eye of Agamoto, and I keep thinking he felt like he should be the next Sorcerer Supreme only to be passed over for some newbie that mastered the mystic arts more quickly than himself.  Now with Strange supposedly out of the way, he might want to kill off all the competition and run everything himself. 

I see opportunities for him to get involved with a now apparently heart broken Thanos, trick him out of the Eye, and then turn back time, so that Strange can set things right again.

Gawdzilla Sama

My memories of the actor include "The Martian" and "Kinky Boots", so I don't think I'm predisposed.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 16, 2018, 09:24:03 AM
My memories of the actor include "The Martian" and "Kinky Boots", so I don't think I'm predisposed.
That was him in Kinky Boots?  Wow!  That's being versatile. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 16, 2018, 09:30:09 AM
And "Twelve Years a Slave", too.

The Operative was a stable genius in his role and not really evil, he didn't think about that kind of thing. He certainly wasn't sadistic. "This is a GOOD death."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on September 15, 2018, 01:02:47 PM
Has any superhero movie won an Oscar?
Arguably Birdman, which took Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Cinematography.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 16, 2018, 09:30:09 AM
"Please tell me I didn't inspire anything burgundy."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 01:09:09 PM
There are many highly-rated movies I would never bother to see.  Citizen Kane, African Queen, Casablanca...  I'm just not into movies per se.
My ex had been a film major, and thanks to him I understand why Kane is the big deal it is.  Yes, it looks like thousands of other movies from the 40s... but it was the first to look like that, and virtually re-invented moviemaking the same way Cabiria had in 1914 (from which D.W. Griffith drew his moviemaking style).

Side note on Cabiria -- there's something almost unnerving about seeing a vintage silent film with nearly modern camerawork.  The story is mundane, but the cinematography is fifteen or twenty years ahead of its time.

I might recommend watching Citizen Kane with a commentary track -- the best one I know of was done by Roger Ebert.

Come to think of it, I've never sat down and watched Casablanca all the way through.  I really should correct that.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on September 16, 2018, 09:40:08 AM
Arguably Birdman, which took Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Cinematography.
Another movie I was out of sync with.  I started watching it twice, but could never make it through.  I thought it was about a guy that played a superhero.  Did it turn out he was an actual superhero?

Gawdzilla Sama

Gorgo
The Valley of Gwangi
The Giant Behemoth
The Beast from Twenty Thousand Fathoms
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 16, 2018, 10:53:45 AM
Gorgo
The Valley of Gwangi
The Giant Behemoth
The Beast from Twenty Thousand Fathoms

The Beast from Twenty Thousand Fathoms - that takes me back to my childhood.  Lizard version of King Kong or American version of Godzilla.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.