Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 03, 2017, 07:45:38 PMNo more whiney super heros, please.
Eh, there's room for a little angst in fiction (and real life).  A little tragedy should have an appropriate reaction.  Taken too far, it comes across badly.

[grammar nazi]"whiney" needs to loan its e to "heros"[/gn]

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: SGOS on June 27, 2017, 08:28:19 PM
It was still better than Gone with the Wind, which was before my time, and based on a book I'd never read.  I've heard it referred to on a couple occasions as "the best movie of all time."  This of course is a matter of taste, with possibly a bit of snobbery thrown in to create an impression that the speaker is a person of culture, but never-the-less, it still gets a great deal of respect from critics.  So I rented it maybe 10 years ago, and thought it was...Hmm, let me think about the exact wording here... "Trivial," I think comes pretty close.

GWTW sucks donkey balls.  Scarlette O'hara bawling every other fucking second.  I did actually find the burning of Atlanta part to be watchable.  Then the second half of the movie came. Gads!
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

caseagainstfaith

I regards to the Godfather movies, I've actually never seen them.  Humorously, since they are supposed to be such classics, I bought the 3 Blu Ray set.  And lost them.  I'll find it someday and watch them.  I understand there is debate as to whether I or II is better, and everybody thinks III is crappy, or at least nowhere near as good.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Baruch

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 04, 2017, 12:43:07 AM
I regards to the Godfather movies, I've actually never seen them.  Humorously, since they are supposed to be such classics, I bought the 3 Blu Ray set.  And lost them.  I'll find it someday and watch them.  I understand there is debate as to whether I or II is better, and everybody thinks III is crappy, or at least nowhere near as good.

Godfather I ... sequels of anything usually suck.  Also it helps if you didn't come from some early 20th century American urban hell hole.  Don't want to trigger your PTSD if you are (but then you would be as old or older than my parents).

The Sopranos was a good update ... an less a drama than a "based on real events" kinds of entertainment.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

caseagainstfaith

As far as Willie Wonka, believe it or not, I hadn't ever seen the original until Gene Wilder died.  My local theater did a showing of it. I went.  It was okay, but, I think I would have enjoyed it better as a kid.  Just before seeing it, I saw an old interview with Wilder where he said he insisted about the cane scene.  When you first see him, he appears to need a cane but it is a rouse.  I know what I'm about to say is heresy, but I actually liked the Johnny Depp version better.  But that is probably only because I actually saw it first. I know, weird.

My parents didn't pay for me to go see movies very often. I remember when the original was new and my cheap-ass parents didn't take me or let me go.  And for whatever reason, I never happened to see it on TV. I don't know why actually.

SGOS

It seems like the was a time when Willy Wonka was on TV at least every week on different stations.  That was a while back.  It may have been on every two weeks, but that's not how I remember it. 

I didn't see the Depp version.  I think Depp has a lot of talent, but he keeps doing these off beat characters that don't interest me.  I know that's how he made a name for himself, but I've never found one of those characters to be the least bit entertaining when Depp does them.  When he does a straight role, he is convincing, phenomenally so.  He's probably as good as any male actor in the last 30 years.

Blackleaf

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 04, 2017, 12:48:24 AM
As far as Willie Wonka, believe it or not, I hadn't ever seen the original until Gene Wilder died.  My local theater did a showing of it. I went.  It was okay, but, I think I would have enjoyed it better as a kid.  Just before seeing it, I saw an old interview with Wilder where he said he insisted about the cane scene.  When you first see him, he appears to need a cane but it is a rouse.  I know what I'm about to say is heresy, but I actually liked the Johnny Depp version better.  But that is probably only because I actually saw it first. I know, weird.

My parents didn't pay for me to go see movies very often. I remember when the original was new and my cheap-ass parents didn't take me or let me go.  And for whatever reason, I never happened to see it on TV. I don't know why actually.

I never was a fan of either version. I never really liked movies with a lot of songs in them (though I can tolerate it in the better Disney movies, like Aladdin), and the Oompa Loompa songs in the original had some of the laziest lyrics I've ever heard, with made up words used just to rhyme with the next line.

Oompa loompa doompety doo
I've got a perfect puzzle for you
Oompa loompa doompety dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

As for the songs in the 2005 movie, they just seemed out of place in a movie that seemed to be trying to be darker and more...realistic? The entire movie was lacking in color too, including the Oompa Loomas who were lacking their bright orange skin. Overall, I think the original was the better version, but the twist at the end of the 2005 movie when [spoiler]Charlie rejects Willy Wonka's offer because he wanted to stay with his family threw me for a loop. I wasn't expecting that, and it grabbed my attention. I knew that the book both were based on didn't have Slugworth as a double agent to test Charlie, but I didn't know where the movie was going to go from there.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

aitm

I watched .......two nights ago....SO bad I am ashamed to say I actually watched it all. Now mind you I was home and I did have a ready supply of beer...but...good lord that is one bad as 12 day old fish. Man.....I can't tell you...its just sooooooo bad. IF you see it you will know.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: SGOS on July 04, 2017, 06:33:24 AM
It seems like the was a time when Willy Wonka was on TV at least every week on different stations.

That is probably an exaggeration, well at least for terrestrial stations.  It is probably on 24x7 on some cable channel somewhere. But, whatever, I'm sure it was on often and I really can't explain how it is that I managed to never see it. Oh well.  Did I mention how much Gone With the Wind sucks?

caseagainstfaith

Saw Baby Driver today.  To be honest, while I enjoyed it and thought it was good.  But, I still felt somewhat disappointed in that it was the absolute 5 star masterpiece that some seem to say it is.  Its good, its fun.  Its not 5 star.  Probably 3.5....

I was on Fandango and looking at the movie star ratings. Boy are they inflated!  I guess fanboys do all the star ratings there.  The current Transformers was rated 4 stars. Cars 3 was 4.5 stars. LOL...

Shiranu

About to spend the next day or two binge watching the original Planet of the Apes and then the post 2011 remakes. Don't know why I never watched them, they seem exactly like the type of movies I would enjoy, but ce la vie.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Planet of the Apes - Yeah, it was really good.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 03, 2017, 10:39:41 PM
Eh, there's room for a little angst in fiction (and real life).  A little tragedy should have an appropriate reaction.  Taken too far, it comes across badly.

[grammar nazi]"whiney" needs to loan its e to "heros"[/gn]
If you like that shit, fine. I was disgusted with Bruce Wayne in the early '60s.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 05, 2017, 02:44:45 AM
About to spend the next day or two binge watching the original Planet of the Apes and then the post 2011 remakes. Don't know why I never watched them, they seem exactly like the type of movies I would enjoy, but ce la vie.

I only care for the first two originals .. and the new series not at all.  Good luck.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on July 05, 2017, 04:46:23 AM
Planet of the Apes - Yeah, it was really good.
Strangely, the glaring weak point, even back in 1968, were the ape and gorilla costumes.  While those costumes were fabulously Hollywood at the cutting edge, they were still horribly fake.  The mouths didn't move right and even the actors voices were muffled by the masks.  It's not like we were all dumb enough to fall for it 40 years ago.  The cheesy attempt at talking apes in costumes was laughable, actually laughable right there in the theater to the extent that it was like watching clowns in a circus.  If it were not for the fact that the plot was so well thought out and dealt with such highly relevant social issues, and that the writers had a fundamental grasp of anthropology as it was then being taught, the movie would have been relegated to the library of Mystery Science Fiction Theater.

The sequels never came close to the original, and the one about the underground bomb worshipers or whatever they were was flat out bad.  I rewatched it a few years ago, and actually felt embarrassed for the poor writers that were commissioned to come up with a script in such a shallow interpretation of what happens after nuclear war.  But the Planet of the Apes concept as developed in the original is still a relevant and worthwhile movie today.  And its classic status deserves to endure.