Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Rewatched mad max fury road. Bought the DVD as a present to myself.

Kick-ass. I give it 9.9/10
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Watched Malificent.  Very impressed.  And surprised.  When the Prince kissed Sleeping Beauty and nothing happened, I wasn't really surprised.  He himself was uncertain and knew he wasn't her True Love.  But I thought it was going to be the Raven guy who had watched over her her whole life.  Never suspected it was Malificent!  So sweet.  And rather Lesbo.  LOL!  But that was OK.  I bet that would be a good off broadway interpretation.  ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2016, 06:50:50 AM
Watched Malificent.  Very impressed.  And surprised.  When the Prince kissed Sleeping Beauty and nothing happened, I wasn't really surprised.  He himself was uncertain and knew he wasn't her True Love.  But I thought it was going to be the Raven guy who had watched over her her whole life.  Never suspected it was Malificent!  So sweet.  And rather Lesbo.  LOL!  But that was OK.  I bet that would be a good off broadway interpretation.  ;)

Lol. I watched malificent with my GF in the cinema. She told me in leaving that she thought it'd be the Raven guy too.
I did see the malificent thing coming though, told her it seemed kind of obvious. And that if it had been 'romantic', it would be pretty creepy for a guardian to fall in love with his ward he'd seen grow up. Didn't see it as a lesbian interest neither. Just 'true love'. Like in Frozen.
That being said, apart from the distracting CGI all the way in the beginning, I enjoyed the film too.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 02, 2016, 08:55:50 AM
Lol. I watched malificent with my GF in the cinema. She told me in leaving that she thought it'd be the Raven guy too.
I did see the malificent thing coming though, told her it seemed kind of obvious. And that if it had been 'romantic', it would be pretty creepy for a guardian to fall in love with his ward he'd seen grow up. Didn't see it as a lesbian interest neither. Just 'true love'. Like in Frozen.
That being said, apart from the distracting CGI all the way in the beginning, I enjoyed the film too.

Haven't seen 'Frozen'. 

Well, yeah, it was obvious that Malificent had come to love Aurora.  She tried to undo the spell, and when she failed you could see her horror at what she had wrought.  And as to the "creepiness" part of the guardian, be relieved in mind that the kiss only awakened Aurora, nothing more.  She still had eyes to the Prince at the end, right? 

Have you seen 'The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz'?  Similar in some ways. 

Did you ever read or see "Ender's Game'?  There was a moment when you realized the whole outcome, all at once.  Malificent's kiss was like that.  I understood the whole plotline then.  Just didn't see it coming. 

Mr.Obvious

Never saw Ender's game. Been meaning to. Never get around to it.
Haven't seen the wonderful wizard of Oz neither. Only the '39 version. Or is that the one you meant?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 02, 2016, 09:32:03 AM
Never saw Ender's game. Been meaning to. Never get around to it.
Haven't seen the wonderful wizard of Oz neither. Only the '39 version. Or is that the one you meant?

Ack!  I meant 'Oz, The Great and Powerful', 2013.  Sorry about that.  Very different story where the wizard is a good guy.  Slightly like 'A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court'.  The wizard is still a charleton at first, but manages to DO GOOD in the end.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2016, 09:44:37 AM
Ack!  I meant 'Oz, The Great and Powerful', 2013.  Sorry about that.  Very different story where the wizard is a good guy.  Slightly like 'A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court'.  The wizard is still a charleton at first, but manages to DO GOOD in the end.

Will have to give that a watch sometime :) Sounds interesting.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 02, 2016, 09:45:49 AM
Will have to give that a watch sometime :) Sounds interesting.

What kind of watch would you give?  Digitals are nice, but analogs are "timeless" (pun intended).

Speaking of watches, my parents gave my younger brother a self-winding watch.  The kind that stays active through movement.  It kept stopping...

Which, BTW, was when he got religion.  There MUST be a connection in there somewhere.

And for what it is worth, I'm still wearing the same digital watch given to me 50 years ago this month.  I've gone through about 50 batteries, but it just keeps accurate about a minute per year.  SOME day, it will surpass the years the makers pre-programmed.  I wonder if that says anything about my personal future?

Hijiri Byakuren

Finally saw Shin Godzilla a few days ago.

Good film, but I don't like Godzilla. He has the vibrant personality of a statue, and in scenes where we're supposed to sympathize with the monster I just don't feel the connection. Probably the first Godzilla film I've seen where I honestly didn't care if Goji himself lived or died.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on December 02, 2016, 04:52:59 PM
Finally saw Shin Godzilla a few days ago.

Good film, but I don't like Godzilla. He has the vibrant personality of a statue, and in scenes where we're supposed to sympathize with the monster I just don't feel the connection. Probably the first Godzilla film I've seen where I honestly didn't care if Goji himself lived or died.

Were we supposed to sympathize with Godzilla? I was always under the impression that it was supposed to be feared. Killing it was the goal for the whole movie.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

I watched one of those last year.  I don't remember seeing any of them before that.  I was surprised to find a kinder gentler Godzilla.  Maybe he became a Christian, and had a change of heart.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 05, 2016, 10:57:25 AM
Were we supposed to sympathize with Godzilla? I was always under the impression that it was supposed to be feared. Killing it was the goal for the whole movie.
In the scene where he first fires his atomic breath, the song playing in the background ("Who Will Know") is sung from Godzilla's perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI

Godzilla is basically a lost child who doesn't understand why he's being attacked, and just wants to make it stop.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

caseagainstfaith

I see SGOS gave Independence Day:Resurgence a mediocre review. And it got generally poor to mediocre reviews.  But I actually thought it was overall better than most people.  Now, I'm not saying it was brilliant.  I will point to lots of flaws in a moment.  But, was I overall entertained despite the flaws?  Yes.

So, when the first one came out, it was like the first, or among the first giant CGI movie spectacles.  CGI was pretty new still then.  Nowadays, people have seen so much CGI that people bitch about just more CGI.  But the story as they wanted to tell it had to be done CGI.  So, I don't complain about that.  It is surprising that after 20 years, the CGI isn't much better.  You can still tell it is in fact CGI.  But, its okay.

When I saw the first one, I enjoyed the build up very much.  But, I knew it was going to have to be some kind of Deux Ex Machina ending since the aliens were so powerful.  But, I didn't expect it to that lame.  So, I would have given the first one a 9.9/10 up until the computer virus solution was proposed, and then 3/10 after that.

Some people expected this one to have a retread plot.  Well, it did have "bad ass aliens are going to kill us" which it had to to be an Independence Day movie.  But, the resolution to the problem was totally different and most plot points were different outside of the "aliens going to kill us".  And, the resolution to the problem was certainly better than the computer virus solution.

So, what were the problems?  Well, a big one is the "Armageddon" syndrome.  In the movie Armageddon, the world is going to end in minutes if the problem isn't solved, but, hey, gotta spend time gabbing with family.  Characters not acting with the sense of urgency that the situation would demand.

Along those lines, I don't want to hear talk about volunteering for "suicide mission" when the whole fucking world is going to end in minutes.  Breathing is a "suicide mission" if the world is about to fucking end.

I also would say that for the most part the "character" moments came across stilted.  One character gets pissed off at another character and you learn their backstory and why we allegedly should care about those characters.  They came across as obvious "okay, here is where we learn the character's backstory".

There is also moments where characters make a massive obvious blunder.  Which may seem annoying.  Then again, real people in real life make massive obvious blunders.  (See election 2016, LOL...)

So, was it a great movie?  No.  Was I still entertained by learning what those wild 'n crazy aliens have been up to for the last 20 years?  For the most part, yeah.  7/10.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but, it ended with a setup for a third movie. And the setup would lead to what should be a very different third movie.  Since the third movie if it happened would be very different, I would actually like to see it.  But, since it didn't do too well, I don't expect the third one to happen.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on December 05, 2016, 11:43:47 AM
In the scene where he first fires his atomic breath, the song playing in the background ("Who Will Know") is sung from Godzilla's perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI

Godzilla is basically a lost child who doesn't understand why he's being attacked, and just wants to make it stop.

Interesting. But my sympathy immediately shifted to the targets of his atomic breath. It was pretty damn bad ass the way they showed it in the movie, though. First smoke, then fire, then a concentrated beam of light. That and the way its lower jaw split in two when its mouth opened.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 08, 2016, 10:05:10 AM
Interesting. But my sympathy immediately shifted to the targets of his atomic breath. It was pretty damn bad ass the way they showed it in the movie, though. First smoke, then fire, then a concentrated beam of light. That and the way its lower jaw split in two when its mouth opened.

Seems like The Hulk...  In most versions of him anyway.