Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on May 31, 2016, 08:07:39 PM
Saw warcraft: the beginning. 8.0, it was a pretty good adaptation of the games lore from the lore books, the characters were as I pictured them more or less, and despite a few changes, the odd bad bit of CGI (surprisingly not the orcs themselves), and the odd actor not being that great, overall it was a pretty good movie, one of the best game adaptation movies, which honestly isn't saying much since gaming adaptions have never been the best, but this did fine. 

How was Ragnar?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 31, 2016, 08:13:45 PM
How was Ragnar?

(plot spoilers)
[spoiler]He wasn't in it, neither was drek'thar, mannaroth, and Grom didn't have a speaking part. They had to make a lot of cut backs to make it all fit in[/spoiler]
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on May 31, 2016, 08:07:39 PM
Saw warcraft: the beginning. 8.0, it was a pretty good adaptation of the games lore from the lore books, the characters were as I pictured them more or less, and despite a few changes, the odd bad bit of CGI (surprisingly not the orcs themselves), and the odd actor not being that great, overall it was a pretty good movie, one of the best game adaptation movies, which honestly isn't saying much since gaming adaptions have never been the best, but this did fine. 

The plot line of games is never a strong point to begin with.  One that is marginally good stands out.  So movie adaptations don't have a lot to start from.  They actually have a lot of license to turn the marginal plot of a game into something very good.  Although that's not usually the case.  Warcraft has not made it to the theaters around here yet.  I saw X Men today, and it was fair. Considering it's something like movie #7 or #8, I think that's holding up fairly well.

PickelledEggs

Just re-watched James And The Giant Peach. I remember reading the book a loooong while back as well.

Haven't watched it in forever because I lost my VHS of it when I moved years back, but HOLY SHIT that is such a good story. Watching it years later... I have a whole new appreciation for that story. Yeah it's a children's story, but it's deep. FUCK! It's so good.

Hydra009

Marvel Civil War.  I liked it.  Imho, it wasn't as good as either Avengers movie, but it was good.  An already huge cast with a few new additions.  Loved Black Panther.  I liked Crossbones.  Vision was good but shades of Hal 9000 in some circumstances.  Spider-Man was okay, but he was a tad too young and green.  Ant Man was pretty good.  Could've been a lot worse.  7/10.

[spoiler]I've gotta go with Team Iron Man in this debate.  Bucky definitely had to be apprehended.  Cap was aiding a fugitive from justice and was in the wrong the instant he kicked a policeman.  If Cap had made assurances that Bucky would go quietly, then he might have a case for doing it his way, but he didn't.  And no, being mind controlled isn't a good reason for why Bucky shouldn't be in detention.  Just the opposite, actually.  As long as he's a threat to others, you have to keep him locked up.

In the comics, this debate is a little different because a school inadvertently got blown up because some F-list heroes and villains had a showdown that spiraled out of control.  A bunch of dead kids makes a pretty good case for why supers should be subject to some form of oversight.  Having a Wild West style showdown isn't a particularly good idea within dense cities, especially when the combatants wield powers that are dizzyingly effective at annihilating said cities.  Obviously, those sorts of outcomes are not going to make the public happy or particularly trusting of Supers.  Also, this is a world with the Punisher.  If there was ever a poster boy for vigilantism run amok, it'd be that skull-painted psycho having a shootout with the mob at the state fair.

Registration makes superheroes answerable to the community at large and also enables the superhero community to better pool its resources, operating as teams rather than lone wolves.  Imho, the only good point Team Cap made was that superheroes shouldn't be forced to divulge their secret identities.  But in theory, it's not impossible to balance anonymity with some form of super secret registration known only by a single trusted individual.  One's secret identity wouldn't necessarily have to be common knowledge.

So yeah, Team Iron Man in both instances.[/spoiler]

Shiranu

Binge watching Leone's Dollars trilogy. Felt appropriate, just getting home from the West.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

shadyace

Last movie I watched was Jason X - utter rubbish don't waste your time.
Latest movie is that new X men crap - gf enjoyed it, for me it's the same damn thing over again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SGOS

The Lobster

Some spots of humor, but mostly weird and dark, and weird, and perhaps artsy-fartsy, but mostly weird.  The acting is purposely stilted to create a of a dystopian future lacking in emotion.  A couple might talk about love, or be in love, but their characters are completely lacking in affect. 

I went on a Sunday, and the theater had a fair turnout (maybe 30 people) crowded into a small auditorium up stairs, but it was a theater specializing in in movies the big chains avoid, so it tends to draw a niche group from a large surrounding area of patrons often starved for the bizarre. 

Rated by Rotten Tomatoes at 90%, I think because the movie got quite a bit of pre-release hype.  Otherwise, I think it would have been mostly ignored by critics.  It appeared for a day or two on Rotten Tomatoes "Movies Opening this Week" highlights, but it no longer appears there.  Oddly viewers are giving it a 72%.  I would expect high a critic review because they always give lots of extra points for the artsy-fartsy, but viewers aren't usually so easily impressed, even if it's only rated by the niche following.

SGOS

Now You See Me 2

Apparently opens on Friday.  Critics are giving it 49% at Rotten Tomatoes, but then, they only gave the first movie 48%, and I thought it was a great film.  I don't mean that I just liked it a lot.  I mean it was a great film.  But maybe that's misleading.  Gone with the Wind is a great film, although I consider it of marginal interest, and not all that important.  On the other hand, I thought Now You See Me was great because it reached the most significant achievement a movie can hope for (IMO); It was wildly entertaining!  And it was the next 5 times I watched it. I've been waiting for this sequel for three years.  Got my fingers crossed because while Hollywood makes a lot of sequels, they aren't all that good at it.

Munch

I'm debating on going to see the conjuring 2. Despite being atheist I still like a good horror movie and something to give me chills. Despite the fact this movie, a continuation of the stories of ed and lorraine warren, the paranormal investigators, where the first movie was based on the story from Harrisville of a haunted farmhouse, this new movie is based on the story from Enfield, called the Enfield Poltergeist.
I've found that despite now believing cases of hauntings to be dunk, I can still give myself a disbelief when watching a good horror movie, letting me enjoy hauntings and supernatural movies even today, and so far this ones been given a good write up.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on June 07, 2016, 08:21:09 AM
I'm debating on going to see the conjuring 2. Despite being atheist I still like a good horror movie and something to give me chills. Despite the fact this movie, a continuation of the stories of ed and lorraine warren, the paranormal investigators, where the first movie was based on the story from Harrisville of a haunted farmhouse, this new movie is based on the story from Enfield, called the Enfield Poltergeist.
I've found that despite now believing cases of hauntings to be dunk, I can still give myself a disbelief when watching a good horror movie, letting me enjoy hauntings and supernatural movies even today, and so far this ones been given a good write up.

I have no problem with using supernatural or religious contrivances to revolve a plot around.  Movies don't have to mirror reality.  Where they lose my interest is when they pitch an ideology as a reality.  But borrowing a concept from religion, like demon possession, is fine if done right.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on June 07, 2016, 08:41:32 AM
I have no problem with using supernatural or religious contrivances to revolve a plot around.  Movies don't have to mirror reality.  Where they lose my interest is when they pitch an ideology as a reality.  But borrowing a concept from religion, like demon possession, is fine if done right.

I now look at the horror the same way I do comic books and cartoons, if these are things that are written well, and animated to a good extent, then it fills in that entertainment I went to see the movie for. Horror movies are designed to be scary, and I allow myself to get immersed in the world they write, a world in which scary things like Freddy Kruger or the poltergeist in the original poltergeist movie exists, if its written well and draws you in, I can forget about the real world for a couple of hours and get into the story.
Of course, if they do things in movies that knock you out of the depth, like bad movies using dated references and gimmicks, or being overly preachy, then I feel its just not worth it.   

gentle_dissident

Quote from: SGOS on May 18, 2016, 05:15:39 AM
The Money Monster

55% from critics, 62% from audiences, a paltry 14.7 million box office take the first weekend.  I give it a 10/10.  Oh well.  Different strokes for different folks.

Free Birds got a 17 and 44 on RT. However, the movie was made for me. I'd make it a Thanksgiving tradition if I celebrated Thanksgiving.

Hijiri Byakuren

Deadpool. It was not everything I hoped for, but it was acceptable.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

gentle_dissident

Watching School of Rock. I know I'll be crying in a while, so I'm going to rate it hardcore.