Stick to what you know.

Started by hilary, August 19, 2015, 01:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hilary

"When you know a thing, to hold that you know it, and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it - this is knowledge." - Confucius

I wish more people could remember this!
I am absolutely certain that I do not know, but it might be possible to find out. - Christopher Hitchens

Follow Me! https://twitter.com/imjusthilary

surreptitious57

I know next to nothing and so try to avoid any temptation to think otherwise. Unfortunately since 
I am human and require some foundational basis for understanding the observable world in which
I exist allow my self the luxury of thinking that some things are more certain than others. And that
those things are actually true. One should how ever always be prepared accept the possibility what
one knows is not actually true. I am just passing through so it does not matter in the grand scheme 
of things only in the here and now. Because my brain would dry up if it did not have something to do
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

Baruch

Look at things genetically (look at the origin on the human plane) rather than formally (on the Platonic plane).  Logic isn't either/or ... except in elementary school ;-)  And the reductio ad absurdum is "my brother is bigger than your brother".  Rumsfeld was definitive on this ... known knowns, known unknowns, unknown knowns and unknown unknowns.  That is a 4 state logic, not a 2 state logic.  It is necessary to escape the Aristotelian diaper stage ;-)

As an infant, you rely on your parents, who know things but might not know that they know unless they are academic philosophers.  As you develop you expand on what you know to replace what has been provided to you pre-digested, as a baby bird might, based on additional authority and based on your own experience.  Once you are a teen, you start to break free of your parent's authority (as well as their epistemology).  As a young adult, your knowing is based on a broad range of authorities (such as your employer or college professor) and on an ever growing body of digested evidence you got yourself.  If you continue to develop from there, as an old person, you enter a second teenage ... and having accumulated a great deal of personal experience, you start rejecting all those other non-parental authorities, in favor of your own ideas ... and you discover that your parents were pretty much right after all, you now having had the benefit of the experience of being a parent yourself.  And then just as you achieve some degree of wisdom ... you croke!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Baruch on August 19, 2015, 07:00:07 AM
Look at things genetically (look at the origin on the human plane) rather than formally (on the Platonic plane).  Logic isn't either/or ... except in elementary school ;-)  And the reductio ad absurdum is "my brother is bigger than your brother".  Rumsfeld was definitive on this ... known knowns, known unknowns, unknown knowns and unknown unknowns.  That is a 4 state logic, not a 2 state logic.  It is necessary to escape the Aristotelian diaper stage ;-)

As an infant, you rely on your parents, who know things but might not know that they know unless they are academic philosophers.  As you develop you expand on what you know to replace what has been provided to you pre-digested, as a baby bird might, based on additional authority and based on your own experience.  Once you are a teen, you start to break free of your parent's authority (as well as their epistemology).  As a young adult, your knowing is based on a broad range of authorities (such as your employer or college professor) and on an ever growing body of digested evidence you got yourself.  If you continue to develop from there, as an old person, you enter a second teenage ... and having accumulated a great deal of personal experience, you start rejecting all those other non-parental authorities, in favor of your own ideas ... and you discover that your parents were pretty much right after all, you now having had the benefit of the experience of being a parent yourself.  And then just as you achieve some degree of wisdom ... you croke!
What do you aspire to achieve as a depressing asshole?
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

aitm

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on August 19, 2015, 11:28:09 AM
What do you aspire to achieve as a depressing asshole?
Knock it off. Once he gets over two paragraphs I don't bother reading. Just let it go.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

TomFoolery

Quote from: hilary on August 19, 2015, 01:45:18 AM
"When you know a thing, to hold that you know it

I actually entirely disagree with this. What things can we really know? As we learn more about the world around us, we've often proven ourselves wrong. So it would have been a grave oversight to say "We know disease is caused by a toade in the bile of one's stomach and other ill humours" and stopped there. I think the real knowledge comes from knowing that we know nothing, and the things we think we know are just stops along the road to discovery.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Solitary

Why does the statement in the first post sound like something Cheney has said almost word for word? It's nonsense, like asking what the sound of one hand clapping sounds like.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

CrucifyCindy

The only things I purport to know is the obvious.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: Solitary on August 19, 2015, 12:40:03 PM
Why does the statement in the first post sound like something Cheney has said almost word for word? It's nonsense, like asking what the sound of one hand clapping sounds like.

Confucius was the Cheney of his day just like Lao Tzu was the Stephen Colbert of his day. Lao Tzu was always ridiculing Confucius.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Baruch

CrucifyCindy - once again, to the head of the class!

Solitary - Confucius was the arch conservative of his day ... because he felt that the changes that were happening in his day, made things worse, not better.  He obviously was a reactionary from the 1960s.  But I do admire him anyway.

TomFoolery - Once I visited the Athenian Agora, and sought out the spot where Socrates died ... I could swear now, that I saw you there that day.

Aitm - doggies aren't known for their attention span, and no kitty would bother even start reading.

What do I aspire to be?  Myself of course.  I won't fully know who I am, until the moment before I pass on.  But I am thankful to everyone who was helpful in assisting me in my egotistical quest.  Though I do hope I have assisted others along the way as well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Johan

I like bewbs and sex and booze. And that concludes the list of things that I claim to know.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Mike Cl

Quote from: Johan on August 20, 2015, 06:30:13 AM
I like bewbs and sex and booze. And that concludes the list of things that I claim to know.
Two out of three ain't bad. :))  And I'd add ice cream and baseball to the known likes of this world.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?