Why don't I like Star Wars? (no spoilers)

Started by TomFoolery, December 30, 2015, 06:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

I like Star Wars overall better than Star Trek, because as a long time sci-fi fan- dating back to the 50's- I know what is derivative and what isn't. To an extent both series have borrowed from previous sci fi (the Borg, for example, have a strong resemblance to Fred Saberhagen's Berskerkers) but Star Wars in terms of presentation and scale was a lot better imo that Star Trek. Star Trek got sued a couple of times for stealing stuff, which I know they did.

I haven't seen either of the last 2 Star Trek movies because they basically rewrote the series and either left out or altered some very big details. they also made Kirk into an immature, egotistical hotshot which would be ridiculous aboard an interstellar exploration ship.

The other problem is that, serving aboard a submarine- which if you think about it is as close to a sealed environment akin to a space ship as you can get- the military aspects as presented in Star Trek really bugged me. The second series was so centered on Q and the Holodeck that I just lost interest in it. The idea that a being like Q would bother wasting time aboard a mortal exploration ship I always thought was stupid, and the Holodeck? If I was the captain I'd rip the sucker out and eject it the first time it created an issue that affected the crew.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on January 09, 2016, 01:25:42 AM
1, 2, & 3 were total shadows of what they could have been, thanks entirely to Hayden Christensen and his younger self.
I'm one of those freaks who likes the prequels. and I saw New Hope about 20 times in the theater. On your point, Anakin's attitude and story perfectly explain to me his progression. The story wouldn't have worked if Anakin weren't a bulldog. I appreciate that the sentiment continues with Ben.

Hey, It's me in my homemade New Hope Vader suit with modified Don Post mask (2$ thrifting).
http://postimg.org/image/kuu412815/
Sorry, there was no time to make a codpiece. I took a vacation right before Halloween to make it. Yes, the belt lights up. No, the right tusk isn't darker.

EDIT: Man, I was a fat Sith. The costume looks a lot better on it's form in the corner.

aitm

Anybody else ever wonder why nearly all the older Disney movies had a distinct British"ness"?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

TomFoolery

Quote from: stromboli on January 09, 2016, 02:10:01 AM
The other problem is that, serving aboard a submarine- which if you think about it is as close to a sealed environment akin to a space ship as you can get- the military aspects as presented in Star Trek really bugged me. The second series was so centered on Q and the Holodeck that I just lost interest in it. The idea that a being like Q would bother wasting time aboard a mortal exploration ship I always thought was stupid, and the Holodeck? If I was the captain I'd rip the sucker out and eject it the first time it created an issue that affected the crew.

I really hated all the holodeck episodes in TNG,DS9, and VOY. In Voyager they didn't even make any sense, because the holodecks supposedly took up buttloads of energy but they had to ration food from the replicators because they didn't have enough energy? Like really, you can waste energy pretending to be a 19th century governess but you have to eat nasty roots you dug up on some planet because you can't spare the power? I get that it was supposed to be a story arc, but they were in the Delta quadrant and could essentially rewrite canon since none of the other well-known Alpha quadrant species were around. It had all this potential, but yeah...
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Munch

Quote from: aitm on January 09, 2016, 01:38:34 PM
Anybody else ever wonder why nearly all the older Disney movies had a distinct British"ness"?

That's because before the internet, it was easier to paint the British ideology as something whimsical, before it was shown to the world how dull it is over here.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on January 09, 2016, 01:25:42 AM
Disney went one (or ten) up when they signed on JJ Abrams.

In fact, that it's an Abrams project is why I want to see it after deliberately avoiding the hell out of the three prequels.  Well, that and it has the real cast (saw A New Hope several times in the theater when I was 13-14, it is a spectacularly fun movie).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: TomFoolery on January 09, 2016, 01:54:10 PM
I really hated all the holodeck episodes in TNG,DS9, and VOY. In Voyager they didn't even make any sense, because the holodecks supposedly took up buttloads of energy but they had to ration food from the replicators because they didn't have enough energy? Like really, you can waste energy pretending to be a 19th century governess but you have to eat nasty roots you dug up on some planet because you can't spare the power?
The in-universe explanation is that the holodecks relied on a separate power source and for some reason, the power couldn't be transferred.

The out-universe explanation is that a writer really wanted a holodeck episode but at the same time still wanted to crew to be in dire straits with dwindling supplies.

Hakurei Reimu

In other words, a voodoo shark. There are many levels where that explanation falls flat. Like the fact that the holodeck is itself a replicator (just eat on the holodeck if you're that desperate for food), or the fact that while their own tech is incompatible with their own tech, yet they often happily integrate alien tech no problem.

There is a reason why Chuck Sonnenberg prefaced the original OVEG reviews with, "Welcome to the idiocy that is Voyager."
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

AllPurposeAtheist

I watched the first Star Wars movie back in the 70's and haven't seen any of the others and have no desire to. It's boring tripe to me.  I'm not into fantasy nor a lot of scifi . I prefer movies with a real plot about real people with real lives although I do have to admit to having watched the entire Jessica Jones series and the other one, Daredevil. That kind of stuff usually bores me to no end.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Nonsensei

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on January 10, 2016, 08:45:15 PM
I watched the first Star Wars movie back in the 70's and haven't seen any of the others and have no desire to. It's boring tripe to me.  I'm not into fantasy nor a lot of scifi . I prefer movies with a real plot about real people with real lives although I do have to admit to having watched the entire Jessica Jones series and the other one, Daredevil. That kind of stuff usually bores me to no end.

See to me, real life kinda sucks. Even as a sheltered white cis male automatically co-opted into the patriarchy, my life is pretty dull and often times shitty. Making it interesting usually costs money I don't have.

9 times out of 10, stories about real life are of people who have it even worse than me. I really don't need to be reminded that most peoples lives are even shittier than mine. Id rather think about not being on this planet, even if that means I have to fight strangely dressed men with laser swords.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Nonsensei on January 10, 2016, 08:50:33 PM
Id rather think about not being on this planet, even if that means I have to fight strangely dressed men with laser swords.
Cloaking real world issues, like class struggle and manipulation, in fantasy is a good way to talk about problems without causing people to immediately run from the truth. Not only do people have a tendency to block out uncomfortable realities, people who use lies to their advantage try to hide truths. Fantasy about that whole duck and cover up is the best kind. Star Wars fills that spot for me.

trdsf

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on January 10, 2016, 08:45:15 PM
Oh, Star Wars is not science fiction, insofar as none of the elements really require a galactic setting.  It could have as easily been told as a Western, a noir crime drama, a sea epic.  And it was based off a Kurosawa film, the title of which eludes me.  It's more correct to say Star Wars has science fictional elements, rather than that it is science fiction.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

aitm

Quote from: Nonsensei on January 10, 2016, 08:50:33 PM
even if that means I have to fight strangely dressed men with laser swords.

yeah, one of those things that seems to get lost on the crowd. Got me a blaster and pretty boy over there is prancing about with an glorified electric sword and I am the one getting killed? WTF?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on January 11, 2016, 02:00:38 PM
Oh, Star Wars is not science fiction, insofar as none of the elements really require a galactic setting.  It could have as easily been told as a Western, a noir crime drama, a sea epic.  And it was based off a Kurosawa film, the title of which eludes me.
The Hidden Fortress.