Harrison Ford to appear as Han Solo In Star Wars VII

Started by the_antithesis, February 15, 2013, 03:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

No, really. It's still rumor at this point, but a rumor from a source that's proved reliable in the past, I guess.

This is like the Eagles getting back together or something. Wait, that's dated. This is like the Talking Heads getting back together or something. I had thought Harrison Ford had sworn of doing any more Star Wars more than anyone else involved in that franchise besides Alec Guinness. What is it about J.J. Abrams that would encourage Ford to don the blouse and vest again? Does Abrams have a purdy little mouth?

Try as I might to avoid or just not care about the upcoming Star Wars flicks, I learn something new that makes me go, "Man what?" I don't even know what they could announce at this point that would surprise me.

Sad thing is the fanboy will get excited about this even though they got excited about seeing Darth Vader in the trailer for Revenge of the Sith and we all saw how that turned out. Fanboys never fucking learn. I guess if they learned, they wouldn't be fanboys. Still, I can't wait to hear all the fapping over this one. No, really.

Plu

Damn. They must be placing this one pretty far into the future if they're casting Harrison Ford again.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "the_antithesis"Sad thing is the fanboy will get excited about this even though they got excited about seeing Darth Vader in the trailer for Revenge of the Sith and we all saw how that turned out. Fanboys never fucking learn. I guess if they learned, they wouldn't be fanboys. Still, I can't wait to hear all the fapping over this one. No, really.

That's a valid point, but IMO Han Solo was exactly what Ep 1-3 was missing. A relatable, average joe character with sarcastic humor played by someone who can actually act. That last Indiana Jones movie doesn't give me a ton of hope of Harrison Ford really playing it with gusto, but really, having him can't possibly make 7 any worse than what was already done with 1-3. When Jar Jar fucking Binks is your comic relief....
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

kilodelta

That is a plus in my book... I may regret my words later. So, "fuck you" in advance.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Anonymous

I hear Mark Hamil is trying to get in on it too.  I don't think he will work out as well Harrison Ford would.

_Xenu_

My optimism seems to be paying off. Getting JJ Adams on board shows that Disney respects the franchise. He would honestly be my first choice.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "asshat"I hear Mark Hamil is trying to get in on it too.  I don't think he will work out as well Harrison Ford would.

Hamil's done a lot of good stuff in recent years, though. He's awesome as the voice of Joker in the Arkham Batman games.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Anonymous

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"
Quote from: "asshat"I hear Mark Hamil is trying to get in on it too.  I don't think he will work out as well Harrison Ford would.

Hamil's done a lot of good stuff in recent years, though. He's awesome as the voice of Joker in the Arkham Batman games.
He has done some good stuff, I just think he doesn't really look like Luke anymore.  Ford still looks like Solo.

Bobby_Ouroborus

Quote from: "asshat"
Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"

He has done some good stuff, I just think he doesn't really look like Luke anymore.  Ford still looks like Solo.

You should see what happened to Princess Leia

buttfinger

Are we pretending that Star Wars was good because of the writing?  It doesn't matter who plays whom, the whole series was written at a level below my 13 year old's ability.  it was only ever any good because "pew pew, look, that sword's a LASER!"

Nonsensei

Quote from: "buttfinger"Are we pretending that Star Wars was good because of the writing?  It doesn't matter who plays whom, the whole series was written at a level below my 13 year old's ability.  it was only ever any good because "pew pew, look, that sword's a LASER!"

:roll:
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Seabear

Ahh the mystery of the popularity of the original "Star Wars" compared to the crap that followed.

The commonly held theory is that Lucas lifted the major aspects of the plot of Episode 4 from Kurosawa's 1958 film, "The Hidden Fortress". Hmm, Jedi do seem a lot like samurai, don't they?

Anyway, when SW ep 4 was a HUGE hit, Lucas had to come up with more plots, back stories, etc. And shock, he's no epic sci fi writer. While I have to give props to Empire Strikes Back, which is pretty solid, the rest of the movies are basically giant pieces of shit covered with a beautiful yummy icing of special effects.

My expectations are low. I would not be surprised if the Disney movies are just another excuse for toy merchandising to a new generation of kids. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Seabear"Ahh the mystery of the popularity of the original "Star Wars" compared to the crap that followed.

The commonly held theory is that Lucas lifted the major aspects of the plot of Episode 4 from Kurosawa's 1958 film, "The Hidden Fortress".
And Dune
And Joseph Campbell
And Lensman
And...

Seabear

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "Seabear"Ahh the mystery of the popularity of the original "Star Wars" compared to the crap that followed.

The commonly held theory is that Lucas lifted the major aspects of the plot of Episode 4 from Kurosawa's 1958 film, "The Hidden Fortress".
And Dune
And Joseph Campbell
And Lensman
And...

I didn't realize Joseph Campbell was a science fiction writer.

There is no doubt that Lucas was influenced by the concept of Campbell's monomythic hero, but those are just concepts. But the plot of The Hidden Fortress is remarkably similar to Star Wars.

I've read Campbell's The Hero With A Thousand Faces, and The Power Of Myth. Campbell's academic work recognized the underlying metaphorical patterns in myth and religion, some aspects Lucas incorporated into his films. Which may explain the cross cultural appeal of the material.

Wherever the inspiration came from, it was clearly insufficient to create material for more than one or two movies.
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson