Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on October 02, 2015, 12:18:07 AM
The Martian

Very good.  Basically a space mission gone wrong and the protagonist has to figure out how to survive.  There are obvious comparisons to _Apollo 13_ and to _Gravity_.  Though I would say this is not quite as good as either. A bit slower, not as taught.  But, should generally appeal to viewers who like their science fiction with plausible science.

I saw it in 3D.  The 3D is not as compelling here as in Gravity.  I think it would be fine to see it in 2D.  Though there are  some scenes that evoke Gravity.  So, up to you if you want the 3D or not.

8/10 for me.  However, I'm one of the small minority that didn't find Gravity that interesting.

Hydra009

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on October 02, 2015, 11:02:09 AMAnd then there was the bad guy that looked like he got wardrobe advice from Slipknot.
That part I actually understood.  He's diseased and looks horrible.  He covers it up to keep up appearances and not show weakness.  Probably helps to intimidate people, too.

Deidre32

Rented Paranormal Activity 4 last night, as is a tradition of mine to watch horror films with friends during the halloween ''season.'' It was pretty scary, but I kept a pillow in front of my face the whole time...and peeked out now and again. You can diminish a movie's scareyness by doing this :=P

Also rented Cinderella...the recent version by Disney. It was amazing. They did a great job of taking a classic, and keeping it pure to the story, yet bringing in a deep message for the viewer. Loved it.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

SGOS

I went to Cinderella because nothing else was playing that week.  I could never imagine anything being better than Walt Disney classical animation.  But I was surprised how much I liked it.  It was delightful.  Well acted with a talented cast.  It felt to me like someone put some thought into making that film.

aitm

My daughter is a fan of that chunky Melissa somebody who has the new movie "Spy"…..meh. This gal is making some serious dinero for being a fucking lousy actress in lousy movies…..fuck man…..I am so fucking jealous.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on October 19, 2015, 05:09:50 AM
I went to Cinderella because nothing else was playing that week.  I could never imagine anything being better than Walt Disney classical animation.  But I was surprised how much I liked it.  It was delightful.  Well acted with a talented cast.  It felt to me like someone put some thought into making that film.

You know I've always got a soft spot for the live action version of 101 Dalmatians starring Glenn Close, it's not the same as when the dogs could talk, but it has a real charm, and Glenn is amazing as cruella de vil.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on October 20, 2015, 01:43:15 PM
You know I've always got a soft spot for the live action version of 101 Dalmatians starring Glenn Close, it's not the same as when the dogs could talk, but it has a real charm, and Glenn is amazing as cruella de vil.

It happens sometimes.

aitm

Bored and clicked on " My Cousin Vinnie" ,,just as funny as it was 10 15 or whatever years ago it was. Not a great movie, but a fun movie. If you have never seen it, it'll be a 7, it you have seen it once, it'll be an 8. Its good fun.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Hope to see Spectre today.

Last night, among other videos, I watched Manhattan project stuff to celebrate Veteran's Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTRVlUT665U
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

gentle_dissident

Rent

I'm not opposed to musicals. I hope to play JC and Frank N Furter someday. Rent is a horrible musical. The music, script, and story are incredibly bland and contrived. The acting in the movie is sad. I understand that the live version is even worse.

It's not like I haven't been a bohemian, so it doesn't go over my head. It's more like an insult.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on November 11, 2015, 09:56:34 AM
Hope to see Spectre today.

Saw it yesterday.  Don't get your hopes up.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 11, 2015, 11:07:42 AM
Saw it yesterday.  Don't get your hopes up.

Saw it today, and liked it anyway.  It is a sequel within a larger franchise.  Would have been better to see all four of the new ones, all at once.  Like LOTR all at once.  Directing was still good ... perfect timing and music as usual.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Saw "The Last Witch Hunter" yesterday.

I would recommend it as a mate with "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" for a drinking night double feature.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

३ इडियट्स (3 Idiots) -

A good intro into Bollywood films, it's a solid "coming-of-age", "comedy drama" staring Aamir Khan (and some other people, but he is THE actor in Bollywood and is the star of this film).

The short of it is that it takes place in an extremely competitive, exclusive engineering school that is run by an incredibly strict headmaster who values memorization over learning. Rancho, played by Khan, has complete distaste for this system and truly believes people should learn for the pleasure of it, which places him in contest with his professors. His two friends end up getting caught up in this struggle between what is the real purpose of learning. It also addresses the pressure put on Indian students to perform well, including an extremely dark scene early on that sets a dark and serious undertone for the rest o Khan's criticisms for the rest of the film. He also comes into conflict with the rich, and offers contrast to the view that life is all about net gain/loss and who you associate with you should be based on how they socially, economically or politically value you rather than any attraction for them.

It's a good film, it's definitely making me want to look into more Bollywood art... in the West, I think we tend to see only the crappiest bits and then say, "Wow, Bollywood is trash, I would never watch that stupid shit!".
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur