News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Castro to Retire?

Started by WitchSabrina, February 23, 2013, 07:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

Cuba's Raul Castro Mentions Possible Retirement
//http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/22/raul-castro-retirement_n_2742730.html

QuoteHAVANA — Cuban President Raul Castro has unexpectedly raised the possibility of leaving his post, saying Friday that he is old and has a right to retire. But he did not say when he might do so or if such a move was imminent.

The Cuban leader is scheduled to be named by parliament to a new five-year term Sunday, and Castro urged reporters to listen to his speech that day.

"I am going to resign," Castro said at a joint appearance with visiting Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, an enigmatic smile on his face. It was not clear whether he was joking.

"I am going to be 82 years old," Castro added. "I have the right to retire, don't you think?"

When reporters continued to shout questions about his plans for the next five years, Castro replied: "Why are you so incredulous?"

He said to listen carefully on Sunday.

"It will be an interesting speech," he said. "Pay attention."

Castro's tone was light and his comments came in informal remarks at a mausoleum dedicated to soldiers from the former Soviet Union who have died around the world.

The Cuban leader has spoken before of his desire to implement a two-term limit for all Cuban government positions, including the presidency. He has also alluded to the limited time he has left to overhaul the island's weak Marxist economy.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

SGOS

I became friends with a Cuban living in Mexico.  He had nothing but praise for both Castro Administrations.  It's strange getting different perspectives when you leave the States.

NitzWalsh

I'm tempted to visit Cuba. Apparently there are some decent tourist traps there.

Does the USA still have sanctions against Cuba?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

SGOS

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"Does the USA still have sanctions against Cuba?
I think so.  I know it's hard to find a decent cigar around here.

commonsense822

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"I'm tempted to visit Cuba. Apparently there are some decent tourist traps there.

Does the USA still have sanctions against Cuba?

Yeah.  If you want to go to Cuba you have to first leave the country and then take a flight, cruise, whatever to Cuba.  I live in MA, so if I wanted to go to Cuba I might make the drive up to a Canadian airport, and then fly down from there.

Rejak

So after less than 60 Years of devastating   sanctions the Castro brothers are stepping down. All hail the power and wisdom of US foreign policy :roll:

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Rejak"All hail the power and wisdom of US foreign policy :roll:

Who said this came about from that misguided policy?
<insert witty aphorism here>

advokata

Retirement? I'm wondering how long it would take for him to see Che Guevara. :twisted:

Shiranu

I am not a big Castro hater. Baptista was a thousand times worse, and much of the Cuban suffering is a result of American sanctions on Cuba.

Compared to the shit our president and gov't do to our citizens and people around the world, as an American I have no moral high ground to judge him from.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Noodle

Y'know, as an observer, I've noticed than when a Government (any Government) doesn't like someone, be it another Country, Government, Organization, or even a specific Person, the Citizens of that country will only hear the worst about that Particular 'enemy of the state'.
Conversely, they will glorify the worst kind of tyrant, if it suits their purpose.
The 'bad guys' aren't necessarily as bad as they're painted.
Nor are the 'good guys' as good.
Propaganda = expedience before virtue every time.
[hrline][/hrline]

I believe in Dog

NitzWalsh

Quote from: "Noodle"Y'know, as an observer, I've noticed than when a Government (any Government) doesn't like someone, be it another Country, Government, Organization, or even a specific Person, the Citizens of that country will only hear the worst about that Particular 'enemy of the state'.
Conversely, they will glorify the worst kind of tyrant, if it suits their purpose.
The 'bad guys' aren't necessarily as bad as they're painted.
Nor are the 'good guys' as good.
Propaganda = expedience before virtue every time.

Misinformation, even in small doses, is a good way for leaders to convince their followers that they are right. I did a rhetorical analysis of George Bush Jr.s state of the union that he gave just after 9/11 for my English class. In it he talks about giving the police and government agencies the necessary tools to combat homegrown terrorism and telling the people to cooperate with everything these agencies would be doing, which was really code for letting them spy on civilians, conduct searches of personal property, and detain suspects without charging them for extended periods.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

SGOS

I was in grade school during the early part of the cold war.  We were taught about propaganda, which was a whole new word as well as concept to me.  It's one of those odd things that stuck with me over the years.  Here's what we learned that day.

1. Propaganda is lying to the people
2. Propaganda is bad, evil, and treacherous.
3. It's what the Russians do.

It made me hate the Russian Government.  For some reason that lesson became internalized, and I believed it for many years.  In my 20s, I began to question it, but oddly, I still believed it.  It was a long time before I understood the lesson was actually propaganda in itself.  Later still, I realized how dishonest and contemptible my own government was.  Once I let go of that internalized belief, I was stunned to realize that I was being continually bombarded by misinformation from my government.  At first I wondered if other people were buying it the way I had been.  Eventually, I was horrified to realize that many people, some older and wiser than myself, were buying it completely.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"I was in grade school during the early part of the cold war.  We were taught about propaganda, which was a whole new word as well as concept to me.  It's one of those odd things that stuck with me over the years.  Here's what we learned that day.

1. Propaganda is lying to the people
2. Propaganda is bad, evil, and treacherous.
3. It's what the Russians do.

It made me hate the Russian Government.  For some reason that lesson became internalized, and I believed it for many years.  In my 20s, I began to question it, but oddly, I still believed it.  It was a long time before I understood the lesson was actually propaganda in itself.  Later still, I realized how dishonest and contemptible my own government was.  Once I let go of that internalized belief, I was stunned to realize that I was being continually bombarded by misinformation from my government.  At first I wondered if other people were buying it the way I had been.  Eventually, I was horrified to realize that many people, some older and wiser than myself, were buying it completely.

It's a bit scary that we, Americans, decided that *our* way of doing things is *The* way.  And any country which doesn't follow suit is the enemy.  (kind of a christian way of thinking huh?) Point being - same as you I was taught that the communism gov Had to be wrong and grew up thinking that.  Till one day I thought - well it could be wrong for me (or even wrong for my gov) but that doesn't mean it's wrong for them.  
I don't like how we decide for other countries what *should* be making them happy and productive. And yes, I think we get exactly the parts of the story that sways our thinking.  I doubt that I'd be happy in Cuba.  But I'm American and like that I feel my vote counts - so.  
Cuba is incredibly poor though and the chances of getting ahead in that country seems slim unless you're born to it.  There Has to be Some reason why people flee and drown trying to get to American soil.

SGOS

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Cuba is incredibly poor though and the chances of getting ahead in that country seems slim unless you're born to it.  There Has to be Some reason why people flee and drown trying to get to American soil.
People in any country must vary in their needs.  Maybe there is something here they want.  I also seem to recall that many of these Cubans are fleeing the politcal system, not actucally poverty.  But on the same hand, we hear Americans, even in this forum, both conservative and liberal, who have talked about moving to Canada.  One size does not fit all.

That Cuban fellow I made friends with in Mexico never talked about poverty in Cuba, not that I asked him about it.  But I gathered his positive comments about Castro had something to do with living through the days of the Batista Administration.  Sweeping changes took place when Castro took over, and according to him poor people came out better.  Of course they were still poor, but better off than before.  But his issue wasn't about poverty.  It was about political structure.   Now he's only one Cuban, in fact the only Cuban I've had a chance to talk with, so I can't say he's typical of the population.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Cuba is incredibly poor though and the chances of getting ahead in that country seems slim unless you're born to it.  There Has to be Some reason why people flee and drown trying to get to American soil.
People in any country must vary in their needs.  Maybe there is something here they want.  I also seem to recall that many of these Cubans are fleeing the politcal system, not actucally poverty. But on the same hand, we hear Americans, even in this forum, both conservative and liberal, who have talked about moving to Canada.  One size does not fit all.

That Cuban fellow I made friends with in Mexico never talked about poverty in Cuba, not that I asked him about it.  But I gathered his positive comments about Castro had something to do with living through the days of the Batista Administration.  Sweeping changes took place when Castro took over, and according to him poor people came out better.  Of course they were still poor, but better off than before.  But his issue wasn't about poverty.  It was about political structure.   Now he's only one Cuban, in fact the only Cuban I've had a chance to talk with, so I can't say he's typical of the population.

Did you ever notice what Bullshit talk that is? Those fuckers always threaten to leave and then they stay on just to complain.  What a putz.  LOL  Go for crissakes GO. (?) And why do they feel THEIR leaving is any sort of threat to anyone else?