Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 29, 2020, 11:22:05 AMI mean, there's one time a guy is about to be roasted alive by a dragon, and he's saved last second, pushed into the water.
In full armor.  And there's a shot of him sinking like a stone.  Next episode, he's fine like it ain't no thing.

Now, in a normal series, this probably wouldn't be that annoying.  In most series, the expectation is that the main characters are safe.  You know that when Spock, Kirk, and two redshirts beam down to the surface of a planet, only two are going to beam up, and it sure as hell ain't going to be the redshirts.  But GRRM doesn't work that way.  There isn't a Search for Spock for this guy.

In GRRM's stories, when characters are in situations when they are likely to die - they will die or get maimed or maybe just maybe get out by the skin of their teeth but it ain't pretty and it ain't easy.  In the books, this guy would go through a harrowing experience at the very least.  So contrivances like that are immersion-breaking and run directly counter to the themes of the series.

Gawdzilla Sama

I've never seen it but I know it's a good movie.

Sean Bean dies.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 29, 2020, 11:59:00 AM
I've never seen it but I know it's a good movie.

Sean Bean dies.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/9957678/sean-bean-killed-on-screen-rejecting-roles/

I liked him best in YouTube reruns of Sharpe ... where he is a British soldier in the Napoleonic wars.  He never dies in those.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on April 29, 2020, 11:32:37 AM
The darkness was apparent early on, when who I thought was going to be the hero of the story was killed off.  Yeah, that left a bitter taste, and may have been part of the reason I lost interest.

That's the thing, though. Game of Thrones has no heroes. Every character has flaws. The ones you hate at first, you may grow more sympathetic to. The ones you like may do things you disapprove of. That was an intentional decision by the original author, to create characters who are varying degrees of grey, not black and white.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

True dat. Plenty of boobies, even saw a swinging dick....surprised at that given our aversion to seeing it the telly
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on April 29, 2020, 03:23:46 PM
True dat. Plenty of boobies, even saw a swinging dick....surprised at that given our aversion to seeing it the telly
I used to shower with 199 other men. Nudity never bothered me. Even on the telly.

But I really got hot when they killed the wolves.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on April 29, 2020, 03:23:46 PMTrue dat. Plenty of boobies, even saw a swinging dick....surprised at that given our aversion to seeing it the telly
There's a lot more tolerance for that on premium cable stations like HBO.  Things are slowly easing, though.  Cheers to the forward-thinking people who consider seeing nipples as less heinous than seeing a fictional murder or real life violent crime scene.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on April 29, 2020, 03:23:46 PM

The scene in Alexander, where Alexander bones Roxanne ... you see it from the back between his legs ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on April 30, 2020, 12:51:48 PM
The scene in Alexander, where Alexander bones Roxanne ... you see it from the back between his legs ;-)

Don’t know the names of the people...not enough to remember them. I’ve seen two now in the first 8 episodes, one from the guy just finished of his hooker, the other the spy what tried to poison the lil blonde beauty.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38NPsmM07-Y

i'd almost forgotten this movie existed. Looking back, I was still a teen when it came out and won over by the idea of animated characters interacting with real life people, after all I loved and still love who framed roger rabbit. But this movie really was just awful, jordan isn't an actor, and the loony toons are just wrong and boring to watch.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Jessica Rabbit, on the other hand...
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 30, 2020, 09:31:15 PM
Jessica Rabbit, on the other hand...

I was probably the only guy who watched that movie at the time who liked jessica rabbit purely for her personality.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on April 30, 2020, 10:20:54 PM
I was probably the only guy who watched that movie at the time who liked jessica rabbit purely for her personality.

What personality? lol. She was a rabbit with boobs who acted sexy, but hated being called "doll." She was such a garbage character.

Later cartoons redeemed her character, turning her into a goofball.

Edit: Ah, dang it. I got the Bunnies mixed up.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

AMC says it'll no longer play Universal Studios movies due to Universal Studios saying that it'll release its movies both in theaters and on video-on-demand (VOD) simultaneously

Of course, theaters aren't open right now, so VOD is a pretty solid option if they...you know, want to be able to turn a profit and not have to fire everyone.  Not having to shutter the studio is a pretty enticing deal.

But theaters have long relied on timed exclusivity - "You wanna see the movie really bad?  Well, you can drop $10 on a seat or you can totally miss out and sit out all the watercooler talk people are going to have about it for a solid three weeks.  And then you'll have to wait months for it to be on DVD or longer to see it on cable.  You know, whatever you want."  So people are decidedly motivated to see it in theaters.

But that's all coming to an end very soon.  Soon, new releases are going to be available for streaming on day one.  So, you can stream it for $20 (which is kinda steep imo and I'm fairly certain will decrease) or watch it in theaters for $10 a person (plus concessions).  For a family of four, the math decidedly favors steaming.

So basically, theaters are dying and they brought it on themselves.  Eventually, they're likely to transition to a luxury business model - the theater offers amenities like comfy recliners, beer, etc.  So you pay more to go to theaters, but you also get more.  But a lot of places aren't going to make that transition in time and stay solvent.  Those theaters are essentially doomed.

Hell, I used to have an AMC theater near me that offered $2 afternoon matinees for movies that have been out for a while but haven't gone to DVD yet (like 5-9 months after release).  They stopped that.  And I stopped going.  Because there's literally no other reason to go there.  There's a very good chance that theater's going to be gone in 1-2 years, along with a lot of others.