Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 21, 2020, 03:39:30 AM
They ignored that awkward rule in "The Rise of Skywalker".

They also ignored it in...like EVERY book in the extended universe library? And then there's The Knights of the Old Republic, which definitely had more than two Sith. Heck, in Star Wars lore, there used to be an entire planet of Sith. They used to be considered a race, not a school, but the meaning changed as the original Sith died out. That rule of two thing doesn't make any sense when you take it too literally. I think it's more like if there's one Sith, that Sith has a student. Maybe that student will go separate ways after either having an argument or feeling they've learned everything they could from their master. Maybe they'll take on a student of their own. But in order to preserve themselves and avoid attracting attention, maybe a Sith is reluctant to take more than one student. If that's not what the rule of two means, you basically just have to pretend that nothing outside of the main six movies exists.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

How on EARTH are the prequels any less fanficcy that the Disney movies?

Maybe fanficcy isn't the word. Maybe "needs to be ignored to enjoy the property at all ever again."

Blackleaf

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 21, 2020, 11:42:49 AM
How on EARTH are the prequels any less fanficcy that the Disney movies?

Maybe fanficcy isn't the word. Maybe "needs to be ignored to enjoy the property at all ever again."

The prequels aren't awful. They're actually better in some ways than the originals, particularly with the action, in my opinion. I mean, come on. Obiwan vs Darth Vader in A New Hope is boring compared to the stuff we got in the prequels. Also, Star Wars started getting weird at Episode VI, not the prequels. The dialog in Return of the Jedi is just as bad as anything that ever came out of Anakin's mouth.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 21, 2020, 11:55:37 AM
The prequels aren't awful. They're actually better in some ways than the originals, particularly with the action, in my opinion. I mean, come on. Obiwan vs Darth Vader in A New Hope is boring compared to the stuff we got in the prequels. Also, Star Wars started getting weird at Episode VI, not the prequels. The dialog in Return of the Jedi is just as bad as anything that ever came out of Anakin's mouth.

I'm still a fan of Jar Jar Binks ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on December 21, 2020, 12:17:03 PM
I'm still a fan of Jar Jar Binks ;-)

I'm...neutral of that character. As someone who didn't grow up as a fan of Star Wars (I thought they were boring, old movies when I was a kid), I found Chewbacca to be just as annoying. A character who communicates exclusively through growls? Obnoxious. And why do they call him Chewbacca, anyway, if he can't speak that name? Shouldn't his name be GROWAWARL or something?
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 21, 2020, 11:55:37 AM

Baruch

Mando is quite good, but i was disappointed by the last episode of this season.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 21, 2020, 03:48:25 PM

No, seriously. When's the last time you watched Return of the Jedi? It's the first movie where George Lucas didn't have his ideas filtered through someone else, and it shows. If the original cut of A New Hope was released, it wouldn't have had a sequel. Return of the Jedi is just...bad. The only thing separating it from the prequels is the lack of bad CGI (at least, until Lucas made the "special edition") and Harrison Ford. Ian McDiarmid was at least able to take the bad writing and play it so cartoonishly awful that it becomes entertaining.

That's actually one thing I think was most disappointing about The Rise of Skywalker. Ian McDiarmid played his role too straight in that movie. After coming to love his performance in the prequels, seeing him legitimately try to be intimidating just didn't work at all for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le5OOdLrU9s
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 22, 2020, 11:30:43 AM

"COVID RELIEF IS A SCAM, $10M FOR PAKISTANI GENDER PROGRAMS?! DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS EXTRACTING .." ... a bill too big for anyone to read has passed the House, like all the turds they drop ... "$453 million more to Ukraine?" ... so Joe and Hunter can take their cut.  Voters are like people who drive on the wrong side of the street, and go thru red lights.

"Per US adult, the 900 billion worked out to $4,303, and we each get a $600." ... if the relief bill was actually not pork

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 22, 2020, 10:11:29 AMNo, seriously. When's the last time you watched Return of the Jedi?
In the 90s.  My interest waned as the original cut steadily got replaced with the "Special Edition", essentially added CGI in the background that no one wanted or liked.  When I saw Greedo shoot first, it effectively killed my interest in the original trilogy entirely.

QuoteIt's the first movie where George Lucas didn't have his ideas filtered through someone else, and it shows. If the original cut of A New Hope was released, it wouldn't have had a sequel.
Agreed, though of course you realize that this is exactly why the Prequels were so awful; no one challenged Lucas creatively and went along with whatever he said (at the time, he spun straw into box office gold, so it made perfect sense to follow his lead).  The end result was abject failure.

QuoteReturn of the Jedi is just...bad. The only thing separating it from the prequels is the lack of bad CGI (at least, until Lucas made the "special edition") and Harrison Ford.

...let me take a wild guess and you first watched the prequels when you were really young and had very little interest in the original trilogy primarily due to how antiquated they were by the time you got to them?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 22, 2020, 12:55:37 PM
Agreed, though of course you realize that this is exactly why the Prequels were so awful; no one challenged Lucas creatively and went along with whatever he said (at the time, he spun straw into box office gold, so it made perfect sense to follow his lead).  The end result was abject failure.

Aside from the badly written dialog (specifically from Anakin), and the contradictions to the previous movies (Obi-wan sure aged fast, didn't he?), I personally find the prequels to be enjoyable, yet super corny, action movies. I also enjoy the creativity in the aliens design, since CGI allowed Lucas to make whatever his mind came up with. Would have been pretty hard to make a flying lizard mount with practical effects. They're bad, but they're fun.

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 22, 2020, 12:55:37 PM...

...let me take a wild guess and you first watched the prequels when you were really young and had very little interest in the original trilogy primarily due to how antiquated they were by the time you got to them?

I said as much earlier in the thread. But after watching the six movies back to back in preparation for Disney's A New Hope reboot, I noticed a significant change from V to VI. Return of the Jedi doesn't have the same feel to it as the previous too. The dialog is stilted, even Harris Ford can't always save it. He probably didn't even want to be there, since it was his idea to have his character killed off. You've got the emperor who was not in the original move, who finally shows up and plays the most over the top cartoon villain so that Vader can have someone more evil than himself to turn on. They completely dropped the foreshadowing of the other potential Jedi Yoda alluded to in the previous movie (Leia, I assume). They recycled the Death Star threat too, although they had a nice twist this time with it being fully operational before the good guys thought it was. Certainly better than "Death Star, but bigger." People complain about Snoke being surprise killed by Kylo Ren. Like, "How did he not sense that coming or here the lightsaber moving?" But this movie has Sidious torturing Vader's son right in front of him, giving him a slow and painful death, and this guy has shown himself to be able to predict the future multiple times, but he's surprised when Vader betrays him? It's the same thing! Well, aside from the fact that we still didn't even know who Snoke was.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 22, 2020, 03:14:28 PMAside from the badly written dialog (specifically from Anakin), and the contradictions to the previous movies (Obi-wan sure aged fast, didn't he?)
The aging is probably the least objectionable thing in a mountain of objectionable things.  Episode 1 in particular doesn't need a script doctor as much as it needs a script necromancer.  Fittingly, we got something like that in the Clone Wars TV show, with Darth Maul getting a second shot as a character, and this time much more fleshed out.

QuoteI personally find the prequels to be enjoyable, yet super corny, action movies. I also enjoy the creativity in the aliens design, since CGI allowed Lucas to make whatever his mind came up with. Would have been pretty hard to make a flying lizard mount with practical effects. They're bad, but they're fun.
Whew!  You had me worried there.

And I give the prequels props for having excellent action setpieces - clearly, Lucas's forte.  The Genosis battle made the price of admission worth it for Episode 2.  Same with Order 66 and the Mustafar duel for Episode 3.

QuoteI said as much earlier in the thread.
Just wanted to be sure.  I bring it up because there's a significant generational gap in how the prequels were received, younger generations rated it much higher than older generations.

I have some theories about why this is the case.  The prequels seem to be at the early edge of a change in how movies are produced - entirely CGI characters, CGI backdrop, (I'm struggling to describe the rest in a neutral tone), "punchier" action scenes with less build-up, and needing to fill in characters' backstories unnecessarily *coughSolocough*

QuoteThey recycled the Death Star threat too, although they had a nice twist this time with it being fully operational before the good guys thought it was.
Personally, I think Lucas came up with a different version of the first Death Star battle sometime after A New Hope was released and decided to do that for Return of the Jedi.

I've gotta say, it turned out very well.  Unlike the first Death Star battle, this is a conflict on three fronts - the space battle between the rebel fleet and the empire, the land assault on the shield generator on Endor, and Luke's duel with Vader (which does double duty since it's a moral as well as physical fight).  I can't think of a more fitting climax than that.

QuotePeople complain about Snoke being surprise killed by Kylo Ren. Like, "How did he not sense that coming or here the lightsaber moving?"
It's not so much that as it was that Snoke was built up as this mysterious villain so of course the audience expects to learn more.  But instead of delivering on that, the writer literally just crumpled the paper as he was writing Snoke and had him unceremoniously killed off instead.  Same with Phasma.  LAZY.

The Emperor is actually the exact opposite of that, were we learn a great deal about what he wants and how he operates before his death scene.