If there is no God. Then someone explain life.

Started by g2perk, August 17, 2016, 01:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Moon

Quote from: g2perk on August 23, 2016, 03:32:20 PM
You know It never crossed my mind that I could be the slightest bit wrong. I'm very serious. Never.

I look at it this way. First,  I don't gamble but if I would I want a shore bet. If I am wrong about God I have nothing to lose..all is lost anyway. But if I'm right I have everything to gain.

This is what is known as "Pascal's Wager". It was flawed when Pascal came up with it in the 17th century, it is no less flawed in the 21st.

You are ignoring all the other gods, and their punishments for disbelief. You and every atheist may end up in front of the a god that neither of us believe in, trying to explain why we didn't see the evidence of his existence.

Not only that, it assumes that your god would fall for, "well, I better believe to save my ass" ploy.

I haven't responded to any of your posts, but from what I've read, ev ery one of your posts is fallacious. You may want to read a book on basic logic some time. It would make your own arguments stronger.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Gawdzilla Sama

Cthulhu's Corollary to Pascal's Wager: What if you guess wrong?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

He can't respond here anymore. He's stuck in the troll bin. AKA: Purgatory. If you do not have Purgatory access, send me a message to ask... or you can quote-reply to ask lol

And oh yeah. Wolf added the nifty @ thing. So you can do @ and then Pickelledeggs and it will get my attention

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 23, 2016, 05:36:37 PM
I heard Ouroborus referred to as "autophagous." I though it an interesting word.

That requires a young man to be as flexible as a Mongolian contortionist.  But I have heard it can be done.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 23, 2016, 06:06:46 PM
Cthulhu's Corollary to Pascal's Wager: What if you guess wrong?

I am not a follower of Cthulhu ... I want to be eaten first, not last, because I am tasty and nutritious ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on August 23, 2016, 06:29:03 PM
That requires a young man to be as flexible as a Mongolian contortionist.  But I have heard it can be done.
You haven't seen the videos?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on August 23, 2016, 06:40:05 PM
I am not a follower of Cthulhu ... I want to be eaten first, not last, because I am tasty and nutritious ;-)
And he's very conscious of his health?
PZ Myers

sdelsolray

Quote from: g2perk on August 23, 2016, 01:43:13 PM
The first two are of the old testament and war was among them, and God allowed killings to take place to those who were trying to exterminate God's children. Understand this God had a plan and it was to send his son to this earth. God used the hebrews as the ultimate bloodline to accomplish this. So why wouldn't he protect his investment. But God still didn't teach hate.

Next all the ones you have written down are of the new testament. God teaches us not to associate, marry and a few other things with unbelievers. The reason is simple and logical. Unbelievers would try and manipulate believers minds and try to get them to believe in there own Gods. Example is The story of Sampson.

He teaches to love your neighbor. That doesn't mean you have to eat with them.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Your god seems like a little shit.  Gods are the projections of their believers.  What does that make you?

widdershins

Quote from: g2perk on August 23, 2016, 12:58:59 PM
I agree with that. I never said it was not important. I just can't use it to better myself and become a better person. My faith is needed for that.
Bettering yourself and becoming a better person is a personal goal.  You don't "need" faith for that, you only need to set the personal goal and work toward achieving that goal.  You think your faith is needed because when you look through the Bible your brain picks out the parts you agree with and you believe that to be the source.  But chances are you knew it was bad to hurt (not just kill, but hurt) other people long before you ever picked up a Bible.

Anyone can be a better person.  It doesn't take any faith.  What you really mean is that it takes faith to believe yourself to be a worthless piece of crap without God and that you need to beg him to help you be better.  It amazes me that any psychologist anywhere is Christian.  A relationship with God is a classic abusive relationship.  YOU are imperfect, HE is perfect.  YOU are worthless withing HIM.

And God said unto his followers, "Come on, baby.  You know I love you.  But if you ever leave me I WILL LIGHT YOU ON FIRE!!!"
This sentence is a lie...

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 23, 2016, 05:35:54 PMYou can join Randy and PhattMatt
Is Randy still kicking around down there? Been awhile since I stopped being a troll keeper.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 24, 2016, 11:55:44 AM
Is Randy still kicking around down there? Been awhile since I stopped being a troll keeper.
He comes and goes. He was here a week or so ago after someone asked "Where did randy go"

PopeyesPappy

He stopped posting on purpose claiming that his leaving would kill the forum...

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

I got a PM from g2perk saying he couldn't post.
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 24, 2016, 02:33:35 PM
I got a PM from g2perk saying he couldn't post.
He can post in purgatory. He's probably actually too dumb to figure that out.

PickelledEggs

@g2perk

Since you have viewing privileges, I know you can see this. You are now restricted to the section 'Purgatory'. Start a new thread there if you really want to post your bullshit.