Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

So I sat down while round my brother house babysitting my nephews, where had gone to bed at the time, and we sat with black panther on, finally watching it.

This is a movie that demands a lot from its audience, basically it demands you to shut off your brain for a couple of hours in order to watch it.

Getting past the political commentary of the movie, this thing is really stupid in many places. This film suffers from the same problems that movies like Get Out had, it suffers from the same problems I find in a lot of horror movies have in that they are not clever or thought provoking, and i often try new horror movies in the hope of finding a better one.

If a movie expects me to turn my brain off in order to enjoy it, I get that, there are plenty of fun brain dead movies out there that I could recommend. And maybe black panther would be part of that. Except it seems to want have a modern day political commentary with it that makes you scratch your head a lot of the time.

Questions like 'if wakanda is so super advanced in technology why is the rest of africa so poor?' or 'how did he survive so long at the end of the movie with a dagger in his chest and only died when it was pulled out" or "if the magic flowers and super advanced tech can give the king such powers, why haven't this advanced society figured out how to weaponize these things and make the rest of africa into a powerhouse with super soldier armies?" or "How can the lead of such advanced technology be a 16 year old?" or "if this culture is so advanced in its social order and technology, why is it governed by whoever wins in a primitive knife fight?".

The villains motivations are shallow and anyone regarding him as the best marvel villain to date is being so dishonest about his motivations and the plot.

Infact that goes for the entire movie. Its really fucking stupid when it gets down to it. It expects you to forgo any thought or questioning of the story or characters. At least with movies like deadpool or guardians of the galaxy they know where they stand in terms of dumb shlock action movies with clever comedy. At least the first avengers movies knew how to play to the audience with action and comedy.

This movie expects you to turn off your brain, which is probably why it was able to push such a load of political messages to the audience, because if your brains already closed off to let this kind of thing entertain you, then your already open to having a load of political bullshit feed in, despite the contradictions to it being easy to read.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one to see this movie for what it is, a really dumb action movie with political commendatory in it that contradicts itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT2D50_pgUU&t=2102s

3/10, only for the acting and action pieces.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 02, 2018, 11:58:14 AM
I have a theory about that.  The Soul gem stands alone as the strangest and most strangely acquired gem.  The trial to claim it was almost too convenient and easy.  It may be some sort of deception.  (I mean, a stranger coming to you and telling you to throw your loved one off a cliff...what are the odds that's not a trick?)  So instead of the snap killing 50% of the universe, it may just have stunted them to a different dimension or sent them to another time or something similar.
I hope someone at Marvel is reading this and contacts us all about writing their scripts.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on September 02, 2018, 12:05:17 PMQuestions like 'if wakanda is so super advanced in technology why is the rest of africa so poor?'
Isolation.

Quote'how did he survive so long at the end of the movie with a dagger in his chest and only died when it was pulled out"
Rapid blood loss.  IRL you're not supposed to pull out something you've been impaled by for that exact reason.

Quote"if the magic flowers and super advanced tech can give the king such powers, why haven't this advanced society figured out how to weaponize these things and make the rest of africa into a powerhouse with super soldier armies?" or "How can the lead of such advanced technology be a 16 year old?"
Or why only one guy can harness these powers.  Personally, I'd have a praetorian guard of dozens if not hundreds of panthers.

Quote"if this culture is so advanced in its social order and technology, why is it governed by whoever wins in a primitive knife fight?"
That's a good point lol.  When Wakanda ends its isolation and makes its speech at the UN, I kept thinking about some diplomat asking how Wakanda selects their leader and being horrified by the response.

QuoteThe villains motivations are shallow and anyone regarding him as the best marvel villain to date is being so dishonest about his motivations and the plot.
Yeah, I don't get that, either.  He's interesting in that he has somewhat altruistic motivations, but other than that, he's not a very compelling villain.  The museum scene was pretty cool, though.

Shiranu

In hindsight, please for the love of god Disney bring James Gunn back for GotG. This is absolutely ridiculous.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on September 02, 2018, 12:26:35 PM
In hindsight, please for the love of god Disney bring James Gunn back for GotG. This is absolutely ridiculous.
I agree, but we'd need a cosmic cube for that at this point.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 02, 2018, 12:18:08 PM

Yeah, I don't get that, either.  He's interesting in that he has somewhat altruistic motivations, but other than that, he's not a very compelling villain.  The museum scene was pretty cool, though.

thats all you can really say about this movie, the actions scenes were cool.

this is the 'rule of cool' I've so often seen in things these days where the writing doesn't have to be clever, it just needs to appeal to someones 'oh cool' factor. I play world of warcraft, and that games story is thick with that way of writing and aesthetic, so I know that kind of dumb setup when I see it.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 02, 2018, 12:29:07 PM
I agree, but we'd need a cosmic cube for that at this point.

There is a chance for GotG to survive since  Anthony and Joe Russo did a pretty good job of them in infinity war, and maybe they might work out something with james gunn away from disney just to share ideas in order to give us another movie.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on September 02, 2018, 12:05:17 PM
Getting past the political commentary of the movie, this thing is really stupid in many places. This film suffers from the same problems that movies like Get Out had, it suffers from the same problems I find in a lot of horror movies have in that they are not clever or thought provoking, and i often try new horror movies in the hope of finding a better one.

"How can the lead of such advanced technology be a 16 year old?" or "if this culture is so advanced in its social order and technology, why is it governed by whoever wins in a primitive knife fight?".
I'm not as critical of the movie as you are, but I don't think it's Marvel's best either.  As a symbol of black empowerment, I think there are better films out there, some which are even forgotten classics.  But as an old white guy and protestant (well former protestant), I may not be in the position to make that call.  As I recall, most of the hype leading up to the opening was how this movie symbolized black empowerment and how a Marvel hero could be an inspiration to the black community, and perhaps it did and was.  And maybe it was received by the black community as such.

I didn't think the scripting was anything special, but I really enjoyed the premise (which carried the movie for me) that the most advanced society known to man had been secretly hidden in the jungles of darkest Africa for what may have been centuries.  Far fetched?  Of course.  It's a marvel movie.  I watched it a second time when it hit Redbox , and I still found myself absorbed by the premise, although I thought the story didn't capitalize on the premise as much as it could have.  At the end, when the Wakandans were offering their technology to western society, I had two reactions.  One was pleasant goose bumps.  The other was disbelief beyond suspension.  Why was an advanced society like that giving their technology away knowing how it would inevitably be used by the West?  OK to save the universe, maybe.  But I had doubts beyond that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Did we notice the chic young black woman who makes racist remarks very casually?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 02, 2018, 01:34:21 PM
Did we notice the chic young black woman who makes racist remarks very casually?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 02, 2018, 01:34:21 PM

Silence, Colonizer!
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Or the black youths who see a strange vehicle and immediately talk about "taking it home" and "selling it for parts"?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 02, 2018, 02:03:11 PM
Or the black youths who see a strange vehicle and immediately talk about "taking it home" and "selling it for parts"?

*whispers*

Shhh. Maybe society is heading back to that ideal level where they don't take offense to everything, and you're going to spoil it for everyone.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on September 02, 2018, 02:05:55 PM
*whispers*

Shhh. Maybe society is heading back to that ideal level where they don't take offense to everything, and you're going to spoil it for everyone.
Sorry, but black kids as car thieves wasn't acceptable to me.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 02, 2018, 03:20:21 PM
Sorry, but black kids as car thieves wasn't acceptable to me.

...I quoted the wrong quote.

Fuck.