Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

I only put the first sequel in with the original, because Charlton Heston is in both.  But I agree that cinematically, the story ends at the end of the first movie.  You know the real logic of the first movie, by a Frenchman no less, is racism?

As far as the special effects to, perhaps you have been spoiled by CGI.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 04, 2017, 11:25:55 PM
Saw Baby Driver today.  To be honest, while I enjoyed it and thought it was good.  But, I still felt somewhat disappointed in that it was the absolute 5 star masterpiece that some seem to say it is.  Its good, its fun.  Its not 5 star.  Probably 3.5....

I was on Fandango and looking at the movie star ratings. Boy are they inflated!  I guess fanboys do all the star ratings there.  The current Transformers was rated 4 stars. Cars 3 was 4.5 stars. LOL...
I've been meaning to get around to that movie partly because the ratings are so high, and partly because it has Lili James, who I first noticed on Downton Abbey, and then later in Cinderella.  Aside from the fact that she takes my breath away, I think she is also a worthy talent, and I want to see how she does in movie so unlike Downton and Cinderella.

What is holding me back is of all things, the title of that movie.  Whatever emotion it stirs up in me brings to mind a gangster movie that fails so badly that they decided that even an interesting title wouldn't save it at the box office.  So they didn't bother coming up with a title, and wrote it off as a flop before it even hit the screen.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on July 05, 2017, 06:48:13 AM
As far as the special effects to, perhaps you have been spoiled by CGI.
I don't think so, because in 1968 when the movie first came out, everyone older than 10 agreed that the costumes were absolutely silly.  As for being spoiled by modern CGI, I'm not.  I give Hollywood credit for being good at it, and I expect them to be good at it.  At the same time, I'm almost always disappointed with modern CGI films because that's all many of them offer, and it seems like directors get caught up in CGI and think that's all it takes to make a good movie.  In my opinion, CGI can never be more than frosting on a good script.  The technology behind it is a big deal, a pinnacle of human ingenuity, but when it is the focus because that's all the director wants to think about, the story telling is going to take a hit.

Back in the '90s, there was a forgettable remake of The Planet of the Apes.  The CGI  was a vast improvement over '68 approaching modern standards, and I remember this scene where thousands of apes came charging across the landscape like an unstoppable Mongol horde.  I'm sure it was meant to be breathtaking, but I was sitting there in the theater during that scene wondering if the director had any idea at all what The Planet of the Apes was about.

Shiranu

I have to admit, the costumes didn't put me off at all. For a 60's movie, I thought they were actually pretty good.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on July 05, 2017, 09:04:19 AM
I have to admit, the costumes didn't put me off at all. For a 60's movie, I thought they were actually pretty good.
I doubt they put anyone off ever.  It's part of the charm, I suppose.

Hijiri Byakuren

Did my annual viewing of Independence Day yesterday. The original, not the garbage sequel. The original is still awesome.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 05, 2017, 09:16:26 AM
I doubt they put anyone off ever.  It's part of the charm, I suppose.
I couldn't think of them as anything but people in monkey suits. Made the movie very boring.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 05, 2017, 10:47:50 AM
I couldn't think of them as anything but people in monkey suits. Made the movie very boring.

That's raciiiiist ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: SGOS on July 05, 2017, 06:51:54 AM
What is holding me back is of all things, the title of that movie.  Whatever emotion it stirs up in me brings to mind a gangster movie that fails so badly that they decided that even an interesting title wouldn't save it at the box office.  So they didn't bother coming up with a title, and wrote it off as a flop before it even hit the screen.

LOL.  I seriously doubt that was the reason for the title.  While I agree that its title does NOT make you think, "hip gangster car chase movie", but, honestly, what would *you* call it that wouldn't come across as *trying* to sound "hey this is hip, guys!".  I think the title was intentionally odd for that reason.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

caseagainstfaith

As far as the original, and the new Planet of the Apes movies.  I was born in 62.  So I would have only been 6 when the original came out.  I was 9 when Escape came out.  I had seen the original on TV, but hadn't seen Beneath. I don't think it had even been on TV yet, not sure.  And I just loved Escape.  I hadn't seen it since, and I know it is considered cheesy these days.  But, at least for me when I was 9, I thought it was great.  I knew obviously they had to have humans playing the apes and so I didn't see any reason to complain about the costumes.  I also saw and enjoyed Conquest and Battle in the theater.  I don't think I ever got to see Beneath until after Battle, if I recall correctly.  I didn't really care for the praying to the bomb shit.  So at least for me as a kid, Beneath was the worst.

As an adult, I have fond memory. But, never had any inclination to rewatch them as I can gather that I would have a different opinion now.  Though I probably should rewatch just the original at some point.

As far as the new movies, I think they have been fantastic!  I can't believe some people don't like them.  Oh well... I very much look forward to the next installment.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

simplyalex

Wonder Woman 9/10
It's a pretty cool movie, now I am ready to watch Spider-man: Homecoming!

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 05, 2017, 10:47:50 AM
After all this posting, I got it out last night and watched it again.  I actually have it on Blu-ray.  I'll still defend the overall premise, but will admit there are some rather serious errors of execution and other things that make little sense or deify normal human behavior.  The beginning is especially weak.  After they crash and have no idea where they are in the galaxy, Heston comments, "Here we are not knowing if we can survive on a strange desert planet with no moon and bla bla."  No moon?  Really?  By the end of the movie it's obvious that it has to have a moon.  But after spending an hour in the middle of the afternoon on the planet, he declares there is no moon.

Then he begins taunting one of his crew members for no reason at all telling him the sooner he accepts his situation, the better off he will be when in fact, the crew seems to be accepting their situation with professional equanimity,  and then after delivering this berating, Heston breaks into forced laughter that becomes louder and more maniacal and begins to echo off the canyon walls as the camera wanders up to view the hot desert sky.  This is the guy NASA picked to lead the crew?  WTF?  He's acting like a lunatic!  At other times in the film, Heston makes some clever quips, although they are often inappropriate in the context.  <Note to writers: insert clever observation here>  And while his predicament is dire, he tends to get theatrically over dramatic. "It's a madhouse!  A madhouse!" he screams to no one in particular.  Yeah, OK, it's a madhouse, but if someone else were around to scream that, Heston would be the more level headed leader who would grab him by the shoulders and slap him across the face while forcefully telling him to get a grip and gain some self control."

Yeah, the movie could use a bit more polish on the script.  However, as farcical as some parts are, they are recorded in famous moments in movie history.  Heston's "It's a madhouse," is now a classic line with an identifiable origin.  You could scream it at an frat party or an orgy, and people would understand the reference.

Munch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 05, 2017, 10:40:53 AM
Did my annual viewing of Independence Day yesterday. The original, not the garbage sequel. The original is still awesome.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 05, 2017, 06:56:17 PM
As far as the original, and the new Planet of the Apes movies.  I was born in 62.  So I would have only been 6 when the original came out.  I was 9 when Escape came out.  I had seen the original on TV, but hadn't seen Beneath. I don't think it had even been on TV yet, not sure.  And I just loved Escape.  I hadn't seen it since, and I know it is considered cheesy these days.  But, at least for me when I was 9, I thought it was great.  I knew obviously they had to have humans playing the apes and so I didn't see any reason to complain about the costumes.  I also saw and enjoyed Conquest and Battle in the theater.  I don't think I ever got to see Beneath until after Battle, if I recall correctly.  I didn't really care for the praying to the bomb shit.  So at least for me as a kid, Beneath was the worst.

As an adult, I have fond memory. But, never had any inclination to rewatch them as I can gather that I would have a different opinion now.  Though I probably should rewatch just the original at some point.

As far as the new movies, I think they have been fantastic!  I can't believe some people don't like them.  Oh well... I very much look forward to the next installment.
I think the original movie of the latest reboot is a very interesting film that cleverly explains how the evolution started.  The second was also a good film, but with my particular interest on movies that explain origins, it can't be as good as the first, but that's just because of my particular interests.  I can't predict how good the next in the sequel will be, but I wouldn't miss it for the world.

And I'd like to see a sequel that redoes the 1968 film which would complete the circle and bring us back to the future when the planet is rediscovered by the accidental time traveling humans.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 06, 2017, 07:11:38 AM
I think the original movie of the latest reboot is a very interesting film that cleverly explains how the evolution started.  The second was also a good film, but with my particular interest on movies that explain origins, it can't be as good as the first, but that's just because of my particular interests.  I can't predict how good the next in the sequel will be, but I wouldn't miss it for the world.

And I'd like to see a sequel that redoes the 1968 film which would complete the circle and bring us back to the future when the planet is rediscovered by the accidental time traveling humans.

I enjoyed the general plot of the original and the sequel.  After that, the time loop started to make less interesting sense and became more of an action thriller with emphasis on the  action.  It is really hard to extend the disbelief into several sequels.

Closest for me was Alien, and I was getting so I really wanted Ripley to just die after a few movies.  But then there was Prometheus and that was cool!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!