Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 03, 2016, 10:29:46 PM
When I saw the trailers, this movie popped into my mind.  I liked it when I saw it; but that was very long ago.

Supposedly, the movie, Jeramiah Johnson, was loosely based on a real person named John Johnson, who was affectionately known locally as Liver Eaten' Johnson, because he would cut out the livers of Native Americans and others he deemed to be vermin, and cook them up.  I think he was down around the Yellowstone Area.  Of course, Redford's characterization made him into a gentler soul that wasn't quite such a maniacal psychopath.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on May 04, 2016, 08:36:11 AM
Supposedly, the movie, Jeramiah Johnson, was loosely based on a real person named John Johnson, who was affectionately known locally as Liver Eaten' Johnson, because he would cut out the livers of Native Americans and others he deemed to be vermin, and cook them up.  I think he was down around the Yellowstone Area.  Of course, Redford's characterization made him into a gentler soul that wasn't quite such a maniacal psychopath.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson
I had no idea!  One would have to be sort of a psychopath to have lived through what Jeramiah supposedly did--but the real thing was a bit over the top.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 04, 2016, 08:39:58 AM
I had no idea!  One would have to be sort of a psychopath to have lived through what Jeramiah supposedly did--but the real thing was a bit over the top.

Wacky guys those mountain men. Redford filmed the movie on Mount Timpanogos (Northeast of Provo Utah) and then bought a large chunk of it and turned it into a ski resort. Hunted there with my brothers before I joined the Navy. Couldn't hunt there when I got out. A lot of the locals really, really don't like him.

After I worked for the Provo City FD. Provo City did all the firefighting and ambulance work for his resort, and he bitched continually about paying the fees to support us. I personally don't like the guy. Used to tool around the area in his yellow Corvette being all cool and shit.

Glass' account has a lot of historic backing, Johnson not so much. But the liver eating thing I would believe. You live in the  wilderness long enough, civilization starts to slide off.   :agreenod:

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on May 04, 2016, 09:13:18 AM
Wacky guys those mountain men. Redford filmed the movie on Mount Timpanogos (Northeast of Provo Utah) and then bought a large chunk of it and turned it into a ski resort. Hunted there with my brothers before I joined the Navy. Couldn't hunt there when I got out. A lot of the locals really, really don't like him.

After I worked for the Provo City FD. Provo City did all the firefighting and ambulance work for his resort, and he bitched continually about paying the fees to support us. I personally don't like the guy. Used to tool around the area in his yellow Corvette being all cool and shit.

Glass' account has a lot of historic backing, Johnson not so much. But the liver eating thing I would believe. You live in the  wilderness long enough, civilization starts to slide off.   :agreenod:
I kinda figured that Redford would be like that--after all he is part of America's royalty, is he not??!  I think the mountain man thing has been hyped quite a bit.  I used to read, as a kid, stories of mountain men like Kit Carson and Bridger, and thought they were neat.  But then I grew up.  I do admire people who can live off the land--I just don't want to do it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

The Mountain Man era was actually pretty short, from about 1810- to the 80's, though after the Civil War died away quickly. Was all about trapping Beaver. When white civilization moved in and fashion changed (Beaver skin hats)

The Beaver nearly got wiped out. Fashion statements- love em'. I may be the only person on the forum that has seen them in the wild. Caught a lot of fish out of Beaver ponds.

wish I hadn't sold my stuff- had a Thompson/Center .54 Hawken I made from a kit. Loved that rifle. Killed 2 deer with it. Made my own Possibles Bag and some other gear. Still miss that. One of my best friends back then was a Reenactor that worked with Grizzly Adams. That is a bit of my "former Mormon" history right there.

Blackleaf

Although the OP probably meant to ask that we rate movies we've seen for the first time, I just recently rewatched "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring." It still holds up today. The first two The Hobbit films were good (the last was horrible), but they don't compare to the original trilogy. 9/10.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on May 04, 2016, 09:49:49 AM
The Mountain Man era was actually pretty short, from about 1810- to the 80's, though after the Civil War died away quickly. Was all about trapping Beaver. When white civilization moved in and fashion changed (Beaver skin hats)

The Beaver nearly got wiped out. Fashion statements- love em'. I may be the only person on the forum that has seen them in the wild. Caught a lot of fish out of Beaver ponds.

wish I hadn't sold my stuff- had a Thompson/Center .54 Hawken I made from a kit. Loved that rifle. Killed 2 deer with it. Made my own Possibles Bag and some other gear. Still miss that. One of my best friends back then was a Reenactor that worked with Grizzly Adams. That is a bit of my "former Mormon" history right there.
Yeah, I have watched a few beaver in my day (the four legged kind, not the two legged kind---well, I'm not referring to the two legged kind in this post.).  There are a few places along the Columbia River that have allowed beaver to flourish.  I've hiked those areas a little and have been lucky enough to come across them every now and again.  Haven't seen any with kits, but maybe one day.

Munch

Went to see zootopia/zootropalis today (why its called 2 different things I don't get)

9/10, LOVED this movie, can't wait to own it on both download and blueray. The main character, Judy, is one of my fav disney protaganists in a while, really loved the story and how it progressed with her. Chief Bogo, voiced by the ever sexy Idris Elba, was a lovable stud. And my most fav side character, officer clawhauser, was just so dam adorable. Characters I wish we could have seen more of were the sexy dancing tigers.

That said, like all movies, I did have a few nit picks, which contain some big spoilers, so spoilers from here on.

[spoiler]1 - And this is a big one, its like when you watch lord of the rings all the way though, and then ask the question why didn't they just use the eagles, or like watching harry potter and ask why didn't they just use the time turner to solve all this. In this movie we see how food in a part of the culture, it shows from the start how the animals evolved into sentient beings like humans, and it shows things like rabbits being farmers producing all fruit and veg, including mircowave carrots that Judy did for a dinner before throwing it away. But heres the question that turns this whole story on its head.. if 10% of the population are predator based, what do they eat?

This adds some darker tone to the movie that doesn't get addressed, we see herbivores eating fruit and veg, but it never addressed what the predators eat. Are we meant to believe they only eat fruit and veg to? Are fish sentient like them and if not do they only eat fish based products? We know bugs exist since we see bugs flying around the stoned out of his brain yak, so do all carnivores eat bugs in this world? 

Really makes you wonder, since its ever addressed, we see Nick Wild eating a berry from Judys farm, but nothing else besides that.

It just seems a weird thing to overlook, since the theme of this movie is heavily lying on the theme of prejudice, that you shouldn't judge people who are different, as the herbivores look at the carnivores for, kind of like how in human culture people look at each other for different skin color or nationalism. But unlike humankind, who except in the most extreme of cases, do no eat each other, they eat other animals. So in this movie either their are none sentient animals they do eat, or all carnivores no longer eat meat so thus they can't be carnivores anymore...

Yeah, you see how this one issue unravels the whole plot of this movie. Don't get me wrong, I loved this movie so much, but once you think about the one obvious plothole, that how can the 10% predators be predators if all animals are evolved to be sentient, meaning it would be classed as cannibalism if they ate other sentient evolved animals and.. 

Yeah, overthinking this, but still.

The other more smaller nit picks are

2 - The 'nudest' camp, given the poses they were doing, nobody has assholes, dicks or vaginas, so why Judy got embarrassed is puzzling. Yeah of course its a pg rated cartoon so they couldn't show that, but some of the poses they simply would have shown everything if they had anything to show, which they didn't, not even assholes, which is a scary prospect that how do they even poop?

3 - The major plot twist at the end was that the assistant major, Dawn Bellwether, was behind the plot of making all predators go wild in order to push for making everyone fear them so all the herbivores would see them as a threat and have them locked up or worse. But why then even after she was found out as the real bad guy, and locked up, why did major lionheart still remain locked up? He was accused of kidnapping, when his honest reasons for doing so was to protect people and find out why it was happening, yet at the end of the movie he's still locked up?

Minor nit picks.

-How could Judy drive that massive hummer at the end of the movie if she was so short her feet were off the ground when sat at the beginning of the movie.
-sheep and rabbits all evolved to be the same height?
-never enough dancing tigers.[/spoiler]

That said, I still loved this movie, the small issues are like with all movies, they all have their questionable issues. But overall the movie is nicely paced, the characters are really enjoyable, the animation is just wonderful, and it wraps itself up nicely.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Zootopia was a fun movie, but I saw the usual movie cliches that just made me cringe. Such as...

[spoiler]*The forced conflict between Hopps and Nick, when Hopps stupidly reaches for her fox spray when Nick is quite obviously goading her on. That just came out of nowhere. Never before did Hopps show the least bit of fear around Nick, and was portrayed in all the rest of the movie as the least prejudiced person in the world.

*The typical odd-man-out protagonist that everyone underestimates until the end of the movie when she proves her worth, and then everyone loves her.

*The weak James Bond villain who feels the need to explain her secret agenda to the enemy before killing them. But even after the explanation, I still didn't get the point. She thinks that the world would be somehow be better if all of society turned against the predators? Wuh?[/spoiler]

It was fun, but kind of a mindless, don't think about it too much kind of fun.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

I wouldn't say it was mindless, the movie has some virtue in the sense of striving against the odds, overcoming prejudices, and even reflecting some real life plot from the 1980s of the US government planting drugs to African-Americans to fuel the race hatred of them.

It has flaws of course, but I like a movie that can make me question it and yet still enjoy what it gives me.

Edit: HA! I was just watching on channel frederator 107 facts about zootopia that there's notes on how all predators in the film eat bugs instead of each other. Guess those theories of mankind eating insects instead of mammals followed into this movie.

drunkenshoe

Antman. I loved it! Size. Does. Matter.

And I love ants!

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Captain America - Civil War ... was interesting because I am not a "consumer" of the Avenger or Captain America series.  I found it interesting to see it, out of the context of the other movies ... though I have seen clips (my favorite is the Hulk telling Loki he is a puny god!).  So this was one designed to get people to think.  Will people like to do that?  Anyway, I would give it an 8/10.  I don't like it as much as the new James Bond movies though.  Shoe will like it, because it has her new favorite tiny hero in it ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on May 08, 2016, 12:13:05 AM
... though I have seen clips (my favorite is the Hulk telling Loki he is a puny god!). 

My favorite scene too, hands down.

Munch

Mine to, it's such a short scene, and yet doesn't need much more explanation then what's said.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on May 08, 2016, 06:32:43 AM
Mine to, it's such a short scene, and yet doesn't need much more explanation then what's said.

The punch line itself is rapid.  Sneeze and you'll miss it, but the punch line gains its strength from Loki, who first sets it up with his long arrogant diatribe about being indestructible god.  It's priceless, and it's a movie moment, I'll never forget.