News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Remember back when Florida's covid dashboard manager was sacked, alleging that she was being pressured to falsify data?

Well, she's operating her own covid dashboard pro bono.  And it's higher than official reports.  Can't stop the signal, Mal.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 12, 2020, 04:41:57 PM
We're on our way to 3rd world status - or worse.

The 3rd world is used to being the 3rd world though. That's how people survive and can't develop beyond it at the same time. A self-entitled culture like American culture could give very bad reactions to bad circumstances in mass scale compared to other Western ones. Too many armed civillians.

The basic infrastructure and the space. I trust the infrastructure is still good? Those seem to me the biggest advantages the country has. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 13, 2020, 10:53:29 PM
Remember back when Florida's covid dashboard manager was sacked, alleging that she was being pressured to falsify data?

Well, she's operating her own covid dashboard pro bono.  And it's higher than official reports.  Can't stop the signal, Mal.
Alas, it's only for Florida.  The interactive map goes all over the country, but stats only are there for Florida.  I really admire that woman's grit.

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 14, 2020, 06:08:31 AM
The 3rd world is used to being the 3rd world though. That's how people survive and can't develop beyond it at the same time. A self-entitled culture like American culture could give very bad reactions to bad circumstances in mass scale compared to other Western ones. Too many armed civillians.

The basic infrastructure and the space. I trust the infrastructure is still good? Those seem to me the biggest advantages the country has.
The infrastructure, both in a physical sense and political sense are way below par.  Trump has shown how this system of checks and balances can be easily rigged.  Our system is simply a bunch of checks that trump deposits into his account or the accounts of his cronies.
I think we are dangling on a very thin thread.  If trump wins in Nov. this country as a world leader are gone and we will zip right through 3rd world into the 4th world of dictators and tyrants.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Don't say that. I've never lived in the real 3rd world, Mike. And I live in a shit hole. You know what's the 4th world? Deep corners in Africa and the Middle East where mothers kill their own daughters after giving birth because they think it's better than living as a female there. That's not even the worst part. The worst part is they're probably right. Cheer up, please.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

trdsf

I'm just not seeing an end in sight here in Ohio.  It looks like it's just a plain old linear progression -- yes, the bars in the gray zones have the appearance of flattening out, but I've been following this chart since April.  The data in the preliminary zones always looks like it's leveling off, and is always revised upwards when the final data comes in.

The only thing we're accomplishing is limiting the spread, not reducing it... and so of course we're going to start re-opening everything now.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 14, 2020, 10:44:09 AM
Don't say that. I've never lived in the real 3rd world, Mike. And I live in a shit hole. You know what's the 4th world? Deep corners in Africa and the Middle East where mothers kill their own daughters after giving birth because they think it's better than living as a female there. That's not even the worst part. The worst part is they're probably right. Cheer up, please.
I am not a pessimist--never have been.  I've always thought better was coming up.  I am fighting to keep that attitude; but the orange monster is making that more and more difficult.  Actually, it is not so much him as his supporters.  I still cannot figure out (and probably never will) how such a vast number of stupid (and evil at heart) people came to be in this country.  Most likely they were always here and i simply did not realize it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 14, 2020, 11:30:58 AM
I am not a pessimist--never have been.  I've always thought better was coming up.  I am fighting to keep that attitude; but the orange monster is making that more and more difficult.  Actually, it is not so much him as his supporters.  I still cannot figure out (and probably never will) how such a vast number of stupid (and evil at heart) people came to be in this country.  Most likely they were always here and i simply did not realize it.
They have probably been there all along.  I knew there were some people like that.  There always will be in any population, but I'm really surprised by their numbers, and don't understand why they all came out of the closet at the same time.  Trump may legitimize  those qualities in people that they would ordinarily keep hidden from view.

Mermaid

You don't need to be a pessimist to see the clarity of the handwriting on the wall. That's being a realist.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

I consider myself a Knight in Sour Armor.  I'm well aware of the crappiness of life, but I still want to change things for the better or at least try to change things for the better.  Because it's the right thing to do.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mermaid on June 14, 2020, 01:20:56 PM
You don't need to be a pessimist to see the clarity of the handwriting on the wall. That's being a realist.

There are too many levels to down there. I really don't want to make you feel bad but reality is always better, don't you think? Round II. Hang in there.   

Shiranu

About two weeks ago I got called into work, and declined. They understood, and I just didn't want to risk exposing my family.

Friday two of my co-workers tested positive.

Dodged a bullet there.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 14, 2020, 10:12:40 AM
The infrastructure, both in a physical sense and political sense are way below par.  Trump has shown how this system of checks and balances can be easily rigged.  Our system is simply a bunch of checks that trump deposits into his account or the accounts of his cronies.
I think we are dangling on a very thin thread.  If trump wins in Nov. this country as a world leader are gone and we will zip right through 3rd world into the 4th world of dictators and tyrants.

I mean the basic infrastructure. The utilities. Electricity and water? Where does it come from in the country, where it is produced, where does it go? It's a huge country. For example, how long would it take to come back if someone is to turn off the water somewhere?

drunkenshoe

I have never seen any of you in worse shape. Not even close. You all need to get on your feet and cheer up. Come on.

Shiranu

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 14, 2020, 04:47:11 PM
I mean the basic infrastructure. The utilities. Electricity and water? Where does it come from in the country, where it is produced, where does it go? It's a huge country. For example, how long would it take to come back if someone is to turn off the water somewhere?

Our infrastructure is notoriously bad, to be honest. Our Society of Civil Engineers gives it a D+, which is at least still passing but is still the bare minimum, and they estimate we need to spend $4.5 trillion dollars by 2025 to get it up to working condition. It "works", but almost all our infrastructure is 80+ years old with little to no maintenance and on the verge of collapsing. We can take care of it, on a good day, pretty effectively... but if we get a string of shit failing all at once, especially during a pandemic...

Those floods in the Midwest a month or so ago were an example of how bad we have let things get. Both dams that collapsed were known to be in unacceptable condition, but the government didn't want to do anything about it after taking ownership of it. Shit, Flint Michigan still doesn't have clean drinking water... and how many years ago did we learn about that?

https://www.bigrentz.com/blog/state-of-us-infrastructure
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur