Mississippi Passes "Jesus Take The Wheel" Act

Started by stromboli, March 22, 2015, 08:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Quote from: Truthhasfallen on March 25, 2015, 04:58:47 PM
For the most part, as far as that specific law is concerned, I don't agree with the law either. The question was about the association between the bus picture and the law.  The question was an honest one, nothing more.  Yet, by a red herring argument you direct away from the topic onto the so-called mythical character of Jesus. Yet, I'm apparently threatened with banning and you're not?

....name calling because you don't like the question could be interpreted as an attempt at intimidation? Perhaps you aren't really as confident in your beliefs as you portray?
That wasn't an argument, it was my opinion of you. And it wasn't a red herring because without evidence it is a fact.  The bus picture has nothing to do with the law, it's showing with hard evidence that your hypothetical God isn't even loving to Christians or impotent, and if you can't understand that you really are an idiot. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solomon Zorn

I took your picture as, "This will happen, on a much larger scale." But I see now you're talking about lack of divine intervention for Christians, and therefore anyone else.

I used the same illustration in my favorite poem:
"Impotent Omnipotent"
http://www.solomonzorn.com/impotent-omnipotent.html
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Truthhasfallen

Quote from: Solitary on March 26, 2015, 03:15:49 PM
That wasn't an argument, it was my opinion of you......

You know nothing about me except that I profess a faith in the reality of God's existence. I'm sorry you can't seem to carry on a conversation without venting such hostility towards those who have a difference of opinion than you. I guess I can understand though, how someone challenging your strongly held atheistic mindset might cause you some mental anguish and grief.  Don't worry though, some of us Christians don't make it a habit of resorting to such disgraceful and dishonorable means in order to make a point.

And it wasn't a red herring because without evidence it is a fact.  The bus picture has nothing to do with the law, it's showing with hard evidence that your hypothetical God isn't even loving to Christians or impotent, and if you can't understand that you really are an idiot....

Thanks for answering my question....the picture has NOTHING to do with the law.  The question on whether God is loving or impotent is really a secondary issue to the question of the wisdom of creating such a law.  I'm sorry you can't understand that, but yes it was a red herring...
Truth Has Fallen

There's only two ways to be deceived...

1) to believe something that's not true, or
2) not believe something that is true.

What's worse: believing in someone you can't see, or having an insatiable, ravenous and ferocious hatred for someone who doesn't exist?

Desdinova

THF, How can you contend that the pictures of wrecked church buses has nothing to do with a Law that allows anyone without a CDL to operate a vehicle that transports other people?  The pictures are merely a way of showing that to do this will result in unqualified individuals operating these vehicles, leading to potential accidents that may have been prevented if a person with a valid CDL had been behind the wheel.  The real question is why the Mississippi legislature passed such a law.  Are they simply trying to give churched a break by not requiring them to find someone qualified to operate a church bus?  Or do they think that because these vehicles are offered some sort of divine protection?  In any case it makes no sense to allow a loophole for anyone to drive a vehicle that apparently, under existing law, is required to be operated by a CDL holder.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Truthhasfallen

Quote from: Desdinova on March 27, 2015, 09:59:00 AM
THF, How can you contend that the pictures of wrecked church buses has nothing to do with a Law that allows anyone without a CDL to operate a vehicle that transports other people?  The pictures are merely a way of showing that to do this will result in unqualified individuals operating these vehicles, leading to potential accidents that may have been prevented if a person with a valid CDL had been behind the wheel.  The real question is why the Mississippi legislature passed such a law.  Are they simply trying to give churched a break by not requiring them to find someone qualified to operate a church bus?  Or do they think that because these vehicles are offered some sort of divine protection?  In any case it makes no sense to allow a loophole for anyone to drive a vehicle that apparently, under existing law, is required to be operated by a CDL holder.

I'm not contending that the posted pics have nothing to do with this specific Mississippi law.

I'll be the first to admit that as the result of this law, many unqualified drivers will get behind the wheel of church buses and will in fact be the cause of much needless suffering and death.

My inquiry to those who posted the pics and my bone of contention is this...

a) are we attributing such accidents soley to an ill thought out law and/or inexperienced drivers? If so, I agree 1000%, end of story.

b) or is it being implied that such accidents are soley and directly the result of someone's religious faith?

If as you say, "the pictures are merely a way of showing that to do this will result in unqualified individuals operating these vehicles, leading to potential accidents that may have been prevented if a person with a valid CDL had been behind the wheel", then again, I agree. I would however love to hear that directly from those who put up the pics.

In addition, some of the other thread comments seem to inadvertently attribute such asinine laws to religious faith or belief in a mythological god, so my inquiries were an attempt to get clarification from the original poster.

As for the law itself: If the Mississippi legislators want to give "the churched" a break, then they could possibly provide free CDL driver training to churches and religious organizations. Religious organizations would get a financial break and free training in order to ensure our roads stay safe.
Truth Has Fallen

There's only two ways to be deceived...

1) to believe something that's not true, or
2) not believe something that is true.

What's worse: believing in someone you can't see, or having an insatiable, ravenous and ferocious hatred for someone who doesn't exist?

Solomon Zorn

God didn't save the church buses in the photo's, so "Jesus take the wheel" is a stupid idea. It's not that they crashed because of their faith. Where did you get that notion? And why keep picking a fight with Solitary? There are others who have made points you haven't addressed yet.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

stromboli

The pictures are simply evidence that church buses are:

A. Not exempt from accident by any special edict or blessing

B. Since church buses with (hopefully) qualified drivers get into accidents, putting unqualified people in them isn't going to improve the picture.

C.Based on A and B, the lessening of safety allowed by somehow assuming that church buses with unqualified drivers will be safe is a very bad idea.

Hydra009

Quote from: Truthhasfallen on March 27, 2015, 03:53:20 PMAs for the law itself: If the Mississippi legislators want to give "the churched" a break, then they could possibly provide free CDL driver training to churches and religious organizations.
I fail to see why "the churched" shouldn't have to comply with the same laws and regulations that everyone else has to deal with.

QuoteReligious organizations would get a financial break and free training in order to ensure our roads stay safe.
I'll be the first to admit that as the result of this law, many unqualified drivers will get behind the wheel of church buses and will in fact be the cause of much needless suffering and death.
I'm sensing some mixed messages...

stromboli

I reiterate; the reason for the pictures is to show that god has not provided any special mandate or given a pass to church buses. If  a bus with a qualified driver can get in an accident, the act of allowing unqualified drivers to operate these vehicles is therefore a bad idea.

aitm

DO NOT SHOW EVIDENCE OR PRESENT FACTS TO PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE IN A FUCKING FAIRY TALE!!!!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Desdinova

Quote from: aitm on March 28, 2015, 03:40:09 PM
DO NOT SHOW EVIDENCE OR PRESENT FACTS TO PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE IN A FUCKING FAIRY TALE!!!!

Sage advice.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Johan

Quote from: Truthhasfallen on March 27, 2015, 03:53:20 PM
I'm not contending that the posted pics have nothing to do with this specific Mississippi law.

The fuck? Are you high?

Quote from: Truthhasfallen on March 27, 2015, 03:53:20 PM
the picture has NOTHING to do with the law. 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful