So...can anyone tell me what Alabama is like?

Started by ThePilgrim101, February 21, 2013, 10:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePilgrim101

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"UAB is a decent school. Not the prettiest school and not in the best part of town. They have a long history of involvement with materials science research in space. One of the few universities in the country to have their own experiment on the shuttle in the Spacelab/hab era. They also get a lot of research funding. Lawrence DeLucas is there. Drop joshuas3521 a PM. Unless my memory fails me (and sometimes it does) he was at UAB a couple of years ago.

Research funding is always a good reason to pick a school. I've had several schools and programs this year express an interest, they just didn't have any funding to take me on.

That said, I can't wait for the interview. They have *so* many neuroimaging toys. I worked at Maryland for a couple years and thought that a single MRI, an MEG, and EEG stations were awesome. UAB has like five different centers for various neuroimaging, a hospital with eight MR scanners, and they're getting a completely new laboratory run by David Knight which is going to be principally for fMRI.

For those kinds of benefits, I can deal with the intense heat.
Quote from: \"azmhyr\"
Quote from: \"quoting\"New Testament doesn\'t Justify the banning of gays from anywhere.
Well, the old testament permabans them from life tho.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "SvZurich"True.  When I moved to Lancaster, CA in high hopes in 1989, I was shocked to discover a place more proudly backwards and hateful than my native Shreveport, LA.  I remember people telling me to avoid one girl because she was a n*gger lover.  Sweet girl.  She preferred black men because they treated her nicer than white men.

Yep.  And the skinheads in Ventura, where I lived for two decades, were involved in at least two racially-motivated murders in the last eight years.

I've never been to Lancaster, but the ex- has some family out there.  The culture out there, from what I hear, is still atrocious.
<insert witty aphorism here>

SvZurich

Fortunately for Palmdale, the Lancaster City Council goes out of its way to inadvertently convincing businesses to locate in Palmdale instead.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Thumpalumpacus

It's all desert shithole to me.  :)
<insert witty aphorism here>

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "ThePilgrim101"For those kinds of benefits, I can deal with the intense heat.
Yea it's going to be toasty in B'ham come July and August. On another note Birmingham is just a few hours drive from Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta and the beach. So it isn't hard to get out of town for a couple of days to do something else.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.