News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 02, 2022, 09:22:46 PM

(i.e. the flu vaccine infects you with a live flu virus). 
Just to play devil's advocate, there is a live virus flu vaccine that was given as a mist up the nose, so it does infect you. But the vast majority are subunit vaccines that don't.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mermaid on January 03, 2022, 11:26:18 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, there is a live virus flu vaccine that was given as a mist up the nose, so it does infect you. But the vast majority are subunit vaccines that don't.
That's just how vaccines work. Introduces a weakened or dead version of the virus so that your body's immune system can build up antibodies and the like. People with a normal immune system should easily fight off the vaccine and are primed if they contract the virus for realsies. So, they aren't wrong about what it does, but they completely misunderstand how it works and why they should shut up and sit down.

Mermaid

Quote from: the_antithesis on January 03, 2022, 01:13:53 PM
That's just how vaccines work. Introduces a weakened or dead version of the virus so that your body's immune system can build up antibodies and the like. People with a normal immune system should easily fight off the vaccine and are primed if they contract the virus for realsies. So, they aren't wrong about what it does, but they completely misunderstand how it works and why they should shut up and sit down.
Yeah, but most vaccines don't contain a live virus, that was my point. They have a piece of it, just a shred of protein, and that piece is relevant to infection. You therefore do not get "infected" with anything.
FWIW, I am in the medical field.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Mermaid on January 03, 2022, 01:57:03 PM
FWIW, I am in the medical field.

So is the asshole doctor from Idaho that is claiming the Phizer and Moderna vaccines have already caused a 20% increase in some cancers.  :winkle:
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Mermaid

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 03, 2022, 02:37:19 PM
So is the asshole doctor from Idaho that is claiming the Phizer and Moderna vaccines have already caused a 20% increase in some cancers.  :winkle:
Touche.  :think:

Dark Lightning

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on January 03, 2022, 02:37:19 PM

But Mermaid's right, and that doctor ought to lose his license to practice medicine, just like the doctor who "demonstrated" that CO2 builds up when you are wearing a mask.

Hydra009

Well, I just found out that 4 more extended family members are sick with covid.  All were vaccinated.  Mild symptoms, but one already had some lung issues and is taking it slightly harder than the rest.

And to top it off, my lowkey 4-person New Year's Eve "party" had two people who had come after visiting a family member who recently tested positive for covid.  They might have been exposed and that means I might've been exposed.  But no one has come down with symptoms and there was minimal contact between us, so my risk was minimal.

Definitely not how I envisioned spending the night with a woman with her suggesting that I get checked the next day.  :/

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 03, 2022, 09:52:33 PM
Well, I just found out that 4 more extended family members are sick with covid.  All were vaccinated.  Mild symptoms, but one already had some lung issues and is taking it slightly harder than the rest.

And to top it off, my lowkey 4-person New Year's Eve "party" had two people who had come after visiting a family member who recently tested positive for covid.  They might have been exposed and that means I might've been exposed.  But no one has come down with symptoms and there was minimal contact between us, so my risk was minimal.

Definitely not how I envisioned spending the night with a woman with her suggesting that I get checked the next day.  :/

Look on the Bright side.
Evn if you are positive, corona will one day go away
Herpes, however, is here to stay.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 01, 2022, 09:31:11 PM
Well, my relatives are no longer testing positive for covid and they're doing fine, so that's good.  Though I can't help but think about how close we got to a potential outbreak at Christmas, with unknown consequences.  Makes my blood run cold, especially given that some in the family are older or with weak immune system. ...

No, you are not. Maybe you should talk with someone though. That's serious emotional stress and the situation is not going anywhere yet.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 04, 2022, 01:52:08 PM
No, you are not. Maybe you should talk with someone though. That's serious emotional stress and the situation is not going anywhere yet.

drunkenshoe

Cases jumped up crazy over here little after Europe went down the hill. "LOL"
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

In NC, about 32% of tests taken are coming back positive  (It has previously been somewhere between 5-12% for most of the pandemic)  And ~80% of the new cases are omicron.  The "good" news is that we still have beds, but we're at roughly 80% ICU beds occupied atm.  Unless this huge jump in cases drops off a lot and fast, we're going to get overwhelmed.

Hydra009

How Full Are The Hospitals Near You? tracker

Definitely not how I expected 2022 to be when I was a kid.  I expected more moon bases and flying cars and less bat plague apocalypse (next time we vote on apocalypses, my vote is for ELE asteroid.  1) predictable 2) undeniable 3) potential for last-minute hookups)

Jason Harvestdancer

Well it seems that the Omicron Persei Eight variant is more contagious but less symptomatic than the Delta Plus Skymiles variant.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Blackleaf

Worse, the current vaccines don't seem to prevent catching the Omicron variant, so they're less effective against this strain. The vaccinated do still get milder symptoms, though, so it's worth getting the jab. Would have been nice if more people got it sooner, so we wouldn't have to deal with this shit...
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--