News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

As of today, the US has 24.3% of the world's covid cases. (6.1M official cases in the US out of 25.1M cases in the world)

That also means that nearly 2% of the American public have officially had covid so far.  And that's just the official numbers.  The unofficial tally is likely at least 6x higher than the official one.  Even 10x isn't out of the question.

drunkenshoe

Nobody believes in any news here anymore. Even their own camp. There has been an obvious spike during the last month and they still say schools will be opened by the 21st of September after an online start. Sigh. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Most news here is opinion.  There are still fact based media outlets, but they play a minor role, and appeal to fewer people.

drunkenshoe

Has anyone seen any news about the today's Covid-19 restriction protests in Berlin and London?

"Stop the restrictions, it is a hoax!" Far right groups, 5g conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers in London, plus neo nazis in Berlin. Londoners seem to be protesting various things in one protest though. 

Berlin: https://www.france24.com/en/20200829-berlin-police-disband-mass-protest-against-covid-19-restrictions

It seems far right and neo nazi groups were on streets. Looks like the biggest one so far.

London: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/29/coronavirus-sceptics-conspiracy-theorists-anti-vaxxers-protest-london

That pic taken in Trafalgar stuffed with people is awful. Trafalgar is a small square.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 30, 2020, 05:12:09 AM
Nobody believes in any news here anymore. Even their own camp. There has been an obvious spike during the last month and they still say schools will be opened by the 21st of September after an online start. Sigh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mockingbird

Domestic disinformation ongoing since 1949 CIA manual.  I predict that nobody will ever learn who won the 2020 Presidential election, because it isn't important for the Deplorables to know.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 30, 2020, 09:13:41 AM
Has anyone seen any news about the today's Covid-19 restriction protests in Berlin and London?
Yes.

Something about it seems awfully familiar...

Hydra009

Mom gets banned from school for being stupid

QuoteIn comments to the board, Anderson said her children, whom she identified as Christian, should be exempt from the "pagan ritual" of wearing face coverings.
Sooo...masks are simultaneously muslim, pagan, and communist?  Do these nutball conservatives just randomly slap one of those labels on anything they don't like?

Hydra009

So, I may have overreacted a bit to NC's numbers suddenly jumping sharply after weeks of modest decline.

Turns out that this spike is at least partially attributable to 1,000 positive tests from earlier in the month suddenly hitting the system all at once:

QuoteNCDHHS said the total new confirmed COVID-19 cases Saturday reflected an increase caused by 1,000 positive tests from dates in the first half of August that were reported to the state by LabCorp in the past 24 hours.

The department is working with LabCorp to understand the cause of the delayed reporting; however, LabCorp confirmed that individuals were not delayed in receiving their results.
I wouldn't exactly call this good news, since that just means that there were more cases in the past and we were blissfully unaware of them (false negative error).  So this is like having your house burn down and hearing the smoke alarm go off a month later.  A little heads up would have been nice.

What's really disturbing is that the overall % positive rate jumped up to 8.8% from 6% about a month ago.  That's a worrying increase.  We need it to go down to 5% to not be a goddamn plagueland anymore and have something resembling a normal life again.  But we really need it to go down to 1% to really get this thing under wraps.  The fact that this number hasn't budged hardly at all in this state since JUNE is VERY upsetting.  And the very real possibility that it's going up again is doubly upsetting.

Also, did someone deliberately mess with our numbers to make them seem better than they really were?

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 31, 2020, 02:34:15 AM
So, I may have overreacted a bit to NC's numbers suddenly jumping sharply after weeks of modest decline.

Turns out that this spike is at least partially attributable to 1,000 positive tests from earlier in the month suddenly hitting the system all at once:
I wouldn't exactly call this good news, since that just means that there were more cases in the past and we were blissfully unaware of them (false negative error).  So this is like having your house burn down and hearing the smoke alarm go off a month later.  A little heads up would have been nice.

What's really disturbing is that the overall % positive rate jumped up to 8.8% from 6% about a month ago.  That's a worrying increase.  We need it to go down to 5% to not be a goddamn plagueland anymore and have something resembling a normal life again.  But we really need it to go down to 1% to really get this thing under wraps.  The fact that this number hasn't budged hardly at all in this state since JUNE is a VERY upsetting.  And the very real possibility that it's going up again is doubly upsetting.

Also, did someone deliberately mess with our numbers to make them seem better than they really were?

I think globally these numbers are false and the truth is they are much higher.

Baruch

"Sweden's Conservatives Warn Surging Violent Crime Has Become A "Second Pandemic"" ... USA say ... Hold my beer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 31, 2020, 02:34:15 AM

The mistake was in using an unrepresentative slice of isolated data to conclude that pandemic was "under control." In this case it was any weekly change in the acceleration of spread taken out of context of the overall trend (whether it was reliable or not_. Whether the books were being juggled was not important.  Politically (not reality) it would justify reopening to anyone who wanted reopening more than getting the spread under control.  The mantra was, "We will be watching the data closely during the reopening."  But in reality that turned out to mean, "We will be watching closely while Rome burns."

I hate to sound like this, but I knew that's what it was when it happened.  When one governor reopened, others jumped in afraid they would miss the political boat, not caring that the boat was the Titanic or if the data actually represented reality.  If they were serious about "watching the data closely," they would have closed everything down and policed the rules weeks ago.

Baruch

Lemmings to the Left of me, lemmings to the Right of me ... we need more politicians to screw things up
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Yeah I am seeing new fb posts that the cdc revised the death count down to less than 11 thou.  Sheesh
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 31, 2020, 02:16:32 AM
Mom gets banned from school for being stupid
Sooo...masks are simultaneously muslim, pagan, and communist?  Do these nutball conservatives just randomly slap one of those labels on anything they don't like?
Yes. Yes they do.  But not random; the code words have been carefully fed to them by the repubs.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on August 31, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
Yeah I am seeing new fb posts that the cdc revised the death count down to less than 11 thou.  Sheesh

Due to prior money induced over counting?  Chicken Littles end up as McNuggets.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.