How do Christians comprehend the iconic duo of free will and predestination?

Started by Goon, October 03, 2017, 12:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 01, 2017, 04:21:38 PM
Which is greater, I wonder - logic or God?

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds - Emerson

Theologians try to use logic to count the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin ... they are damned.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 01, 2017, 04:38:32 PM
So is this illusion of free will the same as actual free will?
And its not just knowing, its choosing what the created will choose.
Because if he didn't want them to choose it, he could have created the creation differently.

Hence the question I had, does G-d have any choice?  Or do only creatures have free will?

As far as illusion goes, that leads nowhere except nihilism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 01, 2017, 04:38:32 PM
So is this illusion of free will the same as actual free will?
And its not just knowing, its choosing what the created will choose.
Because if he didn't want them to choose it, he could have created the creation differently.

That is classic casuistry of the theologians, that Descartes was trying to escape.

In mysticism ... the relationship between G-d and man is much more dialectic ... we wish for what G-d wishes, so that in a logically trivial way, G-d can wish for what we wish for.  I don't find this satisfying, because I don't know what G-d wishes for.  There is no empirical evidence, just virtue signaling on G-d's behalf.  Some theologians acknowledge that, and consider it the highest form of piety, to idealize G-d's virtue ... but it leads to the theodicy problem.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

I don’t think there is any place in the Bible that says god is omniscient. That is theological hubris.

I have to agree with Baruch in saying the god of the Bible is not a benevolent being.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 01, 2017, 09:38:31 PM
Since God is a fiction, you don't have to wonder any more.
OK then.  How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Ballet is nice, I suppose, but they wave their arms around in the air too much.  I prefer no arm movement at all, like none, zip, nadda, but a whole bunch of fast feet instead, and they are touring the US again this year.  I'm going to see them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sboC05gcVZw

Baruch

i got to see Michael Flatley live in Lord of the Dance ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZfR4CG-3_M

Just two women on fiddle, but it is Heaven to my ears ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: fencerider on November 01, 2017, 08:57:00 PM
I don’t think there is any place in the Bible that says god is omniscient. That is theological hubris.

I have to agree with Baruch in saying the god of the Bible is not a benevolent being.
There are multiple examples, or verifications of the omniscience of GOD within the Bible.

Isaiah 46: 9-10
Isaiah 40: 13-14
Psalm 139:4
Psalm 139:13
Psalm 139:15-16
Job 21:22
1 Chronicles 28:9
Job 37:16
Psalm 33:13-15
Romans 11:13
Hebrews 4:13
Luke 12:7
1 John 3:20
Mathew 10:29-30
Psalm 147:4-5
Genesis 45:5
Proverbs 15:3
1 Peter 1:20
Isaiah 7:14

There are more, but they would take whole chapters or more to accurately show.

Baruch

Hebrews 4:13

Different translations ... no creature hidden vs no creation hidden ... I would go with the first.  The point being, a rock has nothing to fear.  The point being ... divine help or divine retribution?  The full verse is about retribution.  And on that note, I will go with ... not beneficent.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 01, 2017, 11:30:12 PM
I was speaking of Mike Trout, star centerfielder for the LA Angles.
There is no possible way I could have understood that.