Theist:Why do you think God does not exist what are your reasons?

Started by John Paul, November 26, 2016, 04:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 30, 2016, 09:46:35 PM
Wow, Pops.  Did not expect you to say that.  Honest of you, though.
My word is all I have.

Thank you

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

fencerider

back to the original question "Why don't we believe in a god?". Let's change the question and ask John Paul the reasons why he does believe in "god". What is this evidence that you keep saying is every where?

Nevermind the fact that the Bible is an anthology that the editors left many sacred writings out of. Nevermind the fact that the Bible includes personal letters written by Paul (if they were actually written by him) that were never intended to be considered as sacred writing - Paul would be rolling over if he knew his letters were made into sacred writings.

John Paul I've spent my whole life in a Christian church, and you have not said one thing nor provided one shred of evidence to convince me that I wasn't wasting my time going to the church.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on November 30, 2016, 09:25:56 PM
What?  You must have quoted the wrong thing.

And if your insinuating that the bible is polytheistic then I would ask you to support your claim.

peace

Genesis 1:26 ... also status of angels, demons, the Devil and Lilith.  The first commandment of the Decalogue.  A lot of Bible, isn't in the Bible, you have to put it into context.  Christian trinity is explicitly polytheist ... though it was implicit in the writings the Church Fathers included as scripture, it was made explicit from Tertullian forward.

Monotheism in the Bible is in the eye only ... of rabbis and priests ... don't listen to them, find your own understanding of it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason78

Quote from: popsthebuilder on November 30, 2016, 09:25:56 PM
And if your insinuating that the bible is polytheistic then I would ask you to support your claim.

How many gods are in the bible?

Just for fun, before you click on the link, have a guess about how many gods are in the bible and then see if you've got it right!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Jason78

Quote from: fencerider on December 01, 2016, 02:05:20 AM
"Why don't we believe in a god?"

The question is a little more loaded than that.   "Why do you think God does not exist what are your reasons?" presupposes a god exists and that we just don't think it exists.

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on November 30, 2016, 07:29:59 PM
I don't "insert" goddidit into gaps in my own understanding. I thought my understandings were just fine without being given faith.

Your point doesn't apply. GOD is not a work of fiction or of man.

I wasn't out looking for GOD. IT found me.

I don't use GOD as a fill all explanation though many things in my immediate life, and to do with life in general were explained to some extent.

Regardless of if there is absolutely no gap within human understanding of all things to do with existence, everything will still be of GOD. No amount of understanding can change that.

peace

Atheists like to project their arguments onto theists, and vice versa.  It is ... rhetorical shit.  I would say you and G-d found each other, don't be so modest ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on December 01, 2016, 07:12:33 AM
The question is a little more loaded than that.   "Why do you think God does not exist what are your reasons?" presupposes a god exists and that we just don't think it exists.

Arguing a hypothetical, is exactly how science hypotheses develop.  We presuppose electrons exist, then go do experiments.  Of course in religion, you don't do any experiments ;-)  In your POV, you are assuming the consequent.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 28, 2016, 03:52:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XGQ6ZXxf8

"Nothing yet, you?"
"A little thirsty."

Of the ten year series, this is one of my favorite moments.  I've watched the series maybe four times, and I still get excited when this one shows up.  When they negate the prior's powers, he babbles on helplessly with Biblical sounding quotes and a perplexed expression on his face.  Biblical sounding quotes lose a certain punch when you are no longer able to smite someone to the ground or inflict them with a plague using magical powers.

SGOS

But I don't remember this scene in the series, which seems rather important.  Perhaps I have to watch the series again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_hfTEGMChs

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 01, 2016, 12:45:48 PM
*Sees the poll*

Are bans part of a democracy now?

The moderators are getting weaker, weaker ... like just before Three Mile Island blew ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Jason78 on December 01, 2016, 07:10:29 AM
How many gods are in the bible?

Just for fun, before you click on the link, have a guess about how many gods are in the bible and then see if you've got it right!

Also, there's this:
2 Corinthians 4:4 (KJV)

QuoteIn whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on December 01, 2016, 11:46:04 AM
But I don't remember this scene in the series, which seems rather important.  Perhaps I have to watch the series again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_hfTEGMChs

That, or you're a victim of the Mandela effect...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Jason78

Quote from: Baruch on December 01, 2016, 07:15:01 AM
Arguing a hypothetical, is exactly how science hypotheses develop.  We presuppose electrons exist, then go do experiments.  Of course in religion, you don't do any experiments ;-)  In your POV, you are assuming the consequent.

No we don't.   We place a magnet near a hot cathode and hypothesise about what it is that the magnet is bending.   We don't just imagine electrons exist and then go out to prove they exist.