News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Video game pre-orders

Started by the_antithesis, February 18, 2013, 01:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

What's your stance?

I've seen the following videos that are fairly negative on the practice. Odd they're both Brits.

[youtubehd:y7yd3u0n]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj4XIT1Y[/youtubehd:y7yd3u0n]

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... mpaign=all

And here's that guy going through the press demo and explaining how it differs from the full games in significant ways.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... al-Marines

Frankly, I don't pre-order myself because I'm poor and thus wait for the price to come down anyway. Nor do I give a shit about any of the preorder crap. Most of it is chotchkies that I don't need cluttering up my room because I own too much useless crap as it is, or in-game shit like a stupid hat that not even a good thing to have. It's just there. So, none of this is enough to get me to shell out $60 or more for a game. (Side note, I keep banging on about Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and hemming and hawing about whether I should get it. It's $60 on Steam but I could get it for $30 most other places, and I'm still hemming and hawing about it. Half price isn't good enough)

This whole trend reminds me of the film industry and the opening weekend. The market the hell out of something, get asses in seats for that opening weekend, and then who cares if the movie's any good. Who cares if people stay away from it the next weekend because the reviews and word of mouth are bad. It made a profit that opening weekend, which appears to start on Wednesday these days, and that's good enough for them. It's all they care about. They don't care what a bad experience will do to their customer base for their next big release because history has shown that people have short memories and do not care. They don't care to learn from their mistakes like this.

It has me wondering if being a good video game developer is worth it. Is it worth it to work hard to try to make good games and be upfront with the customer base and own up to mistakes when something you've made and released is not up to snuff when you can do just as well, if not better, being a soulless corporation that only cares about the money and willing to actively deceive customers with false advertising in the form of demos that are technically superior to the final game.

It's a sad state of affairs.

Alaric I

Depends on the game for me.  If it is a game I am looking forward to, I will preorder just to make sue I can get the game as soon as it comes out, otherwise I get them as I can.

EchoSider

I preordered the last couple Assassin's Creed games, and even went to get them at midnight.  Get plenty of extra content doing it that way, and I'm willing to put out the extra cash to get it right when it comes out.  Some games are like that for me, though.    I don't preorder most stuff, though.  Mostly I just wait for it to have been out for half a year then buy it on the cheap.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Alaric I"If it is a game I am looking forward to, I will preorder just to make sue I can get the game as soon as it comes out

See, I don't understand that at all. Maybe it's because I'm always late for the bus when it comes to what's hot and trendy, but is getting that hot, new release on release day really worth it? All you're doing is getting that experience sooner. Not necessarily a bad thing if you're sure of the product, but with reviews not going out until release day, you're not sure. Is this just impatience or what? Has our consumer society cultivated the need for instant gratification? I don't get it.

Alaric I

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "Alaric I"If it is a game I am looking forward to, I will preorder just to make sue I can get the game as soon as it comes out

See, I don't understand that at all. Maybe it's because I'm always late for the bus when it comes to what's hot and trendy, but is getting that hot, new release on release day really worth it? All you're doing is getting that experience sooner. Not necessarily a bad thing if you're sure of the product, but with reviews not going out until release day, you're not sure. Is this just impatience or what? Has our consumer society cultivated the need for instant gratification? I don't get it.

I hardly ever do this.  If a brand new game comes out I'll wait to hear more about it and let it drop in price.  I usually do this for sequels on games that are awesome and series that I like.  It is worth it if you are that into a game.

Aroura33

I've pre-ordered a game (in recent memory at least) two times, and it was because you got extra goodies if you pre-ordered.  Both MMO's, Rift and Secret World.  It didn't cost more, in either case.  I mean, yeah, the box prices came down after 4 or 6 months, but I didn't want to wait that long to play them. Although both are some for of F2P now. In both cases, the pre-order stuff is worthless pretty quickly, but there was no extra cost or hassle doing it, so no regret either.  

Most games though, I'll wait a while before buying, if at all.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Hydra009

For that rare game that is just balls-to-the-wall incredible and you really want to be there at the ground floor when it opens, yes, it's worth it.  I think the last time I did that was for Tabula Rasa.  Did not regret it.  Yes, there is some uncertainty about the finished product, but you can usually know enough about it prior to launch to tell if it's worth your money.

It's like buying a ticket for a concert or a theme park rather than paying at the gate.  Nothing wrong with that, imo.

But for offline games, I don't really see the point of pre-ordering.  I usually just wait 3-4 months for it to go on sale.

wolf39us

I've got an item from pre-ordering left 4 dead 2 that I have received constant requests from TF2 players.  This fricken Bill's Hat has caused my steam messages to jack up yo

Plus it was the 2nd one in the series, I've read/watched reviews... and it was cheaper!

Nonsensei

TB's point is well taken, IMO. When you think about it what you get for preordering is often not worth the risk you take in trusting the developer to provide you with a quality game.

And to be blunt from my point of view that is a hefty risk indeed. The general quality of games has suffered over the last decade, as money that used to be spent in ensuring that the game is an entertaining experience is funneled away from creativity and into pushing the graphics envelope another micrometer and jump starting an ad campaign that is almost always deceptive in some way.

If you look at the marketing material for Aliens: Colonial Marines the game looks fucking amazing. Yet we all now know that it may end up being the worst AAA title of the year. Fable III is another good example of an essentially incomplete/incompetently designed game being foisted upon the market. The idea that these games command the same price as an epic masterpiece like Skyrim or even a decent if not excellent game like The Witcher 2 is revolting.

I refuse to preorder a game, ever. Ive been down that road many times and frankly I get burned far more often than not. The consumer usually has no real way to be assured that the money they are putting down on a game will result in them receiving a quality title. They are literally abdicating their right to pass judgement on poor quality standards in exchange for an in game horsey pet or a shitty looking preorder skin.

The marketing practices of the video game industry are among the most predatory that can be found in the world. They are legally allowed to deceive their customers. In such a market environment consumers need to take personal responsibility for ensuring that developers who release garbage fail because no other entity in the market is going to do it.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

EchoSider

Reviews for the games often come out before the games do.  Lots of times the developers are confident enough in their product they'll send some out to reviewers to put it through the ringer and see how it stands up.  I don't always take their word for it, but it is why I didn't end up preordering Dead Space 3.

Nonsensei

Re:
Quote from: "EchoSider"Reviews for the games often come out before the games do.  Lots of times the developers are confident enough in their product they'll send some out to reviewers to put it through the ringer and see how it stands up.  I don't always take their word for it, but it is why I didn't end up preordering Dead Space 3.

You will often find developers embargoing reviews until release day, which leaves all the preorderers fucked. Which is the purpose of the embargo. I buy a lot of games and I cant remember the last time a review was allowed to be released prior to release day of a AAA title. A lot of indie developers will allow their product to be reviewed (or rather, previewed) in alpha and beta, but when it comes to big budget franchises that is hardly ever the case in my experience.

wolf39us

I just watched the video Echo.

He was referring to corrupt video game reviews.  Refer to this link

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... to-what-it

Hydra009

Quote from: "Nonsensei"TB's point is well taken, IMO. When you think about it what you get for preordering is often not worth the risk you take in trusting the developer to provide you with a quality game.
I remember the early 90s where you basically had to make your decision on box art and word of mouth alone.  Scary times.

*drinks from coffee cup*
*sets cup on SNES Alien VS Predator cartridge*

Nonsensei

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "Nonsensei"TB's point is well taken, IMO. When you think about it what you get for preordering is often not worth the risk you take in trusting the developer to provide you with a quality game.
I remember the 90s where you basically had to make your decision on box art and word of mouth alone.  Scary times.

*drinks from coffee cup*
*sets cup on SNES Alien VS Predator cartridge*

Yeah well on the other hand you could just rent those games to make sure they were good before buying. Some places even let you rent-to-buy.

Also, I feel the quality of games was much higher in the 90's in general. The industry gave a shit about plot lines and music back then. These days it largely just cares about sparkly graphics and adding multiplayer whether it is appropriate or not.

Plu

As someone who recently paid to get a game Kickstarted, I feel that pre-ordering a game is for pussies. If you're really a fan, you order the game before it's even started production!

</nonsense>

Anyway. Preordering a game is something I only do if I'm 99% sure it's going to rock and I trust the developer to deliver. Which happens hardly ever.
Likewise kickstarter, except to convince me to pay for a kickstarter, you have to offer something that's more awesome than anything I've seen before. Which is why I've only done it once.