As an atheist does the recent medical paradigm threaten you?

Started by darsenfeld, March 04, 2014, 08:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darsenfeld

Look, our views differ.

I think medicine is being co-opted by spiritualist persons, you don't.  So be it, we think differently.
consistency is for dopes....

darsenfeld

Look, our views differ.

I think medicine is being co-opted by spiritualist persons, you don't.  So be it, we think differently.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"I miss Eve.  8-[
We still have MoFo.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shol'va

Quote from: "darsenfeld"Look, our views differ.

I think medicine is being co-opted by spiritualist persons
We all understand you believe that. The issue at hand is that you can't back up your belief.

Shol'va

Quote from: "darsenfeld"Spiritual forces are inherently divine.  Can they be explained by rational means?
We are not talking about spiritual forces. We are discussing the concept of spirituality in general.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"I miss Eve.  8-[
We still have MoFo.

MoFo has been clubbed to death a million times by his own stupidity... Eve was sweet, innocent, dreamy...

Solitary

Quote from: "darsenfeld"
Quote from: "Shol'va"
Quote from: "darsenfeld"er... I simply notice that believing in a higher power is now "key" to being healthy in many reputable medical sources.

No it is not. This has already been explained to you but you are either ignoring the explanations or not comprehending them.
What part of "spirituality does not equal belief in god or transcendental" and "spirituality does not have a well established definition" do you not understand?
You cited ONE source and it has already been explained to you why you are misunderstanding what it is actually saying.

If you find the fact that atheism and spirituality are compatible a shocking idea, then you need to analyze your own understanding of the terms. Solitary

People are starting to get rude with you because you are taxing everyone's patience.

Spiritual forces are inherently divine.  Can they be explained by rational means?

Spiritual forces are no more divine than gravity or magnetism that have been explained by science. Neurology can show that OB's, or so-called spiritual events, are a product of the brain that contains psychedelics, by stimulating the correct part of the brain. There is absolutely no supernatural events that haven't been explain by science, or any that haven't been shown to be fraudulent. Even swamis that said they could walk on water and under test conditions went splashing.   :lol:  As to walking on hot coals, anyone can do it if the walk isn't too far. You can even dip your hand in molten lead and not get burnt if you do it correctly.  #-o  :rollin:  :rollin:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

Where's Eve when we need her?  :-D   :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

darsenfeld

Quote from: "Solitary"If you find the fact that atheism and spirituality are compatible a shocking idea, then you need to analyze your own understanding of the terms. Solitary

People are starting to get rude with you because you are taxing everyone's patience.

Spiritual forces are inherently divine.  Can they be explained by rational means?[/quote]

Spiritual forces are no more divine than gravity or magnetism that have been explained by science. Neurology can show that OB's, or so-called spiritual events, are a product of the brain that contains psychedelics, by stimulating the correct part of the brain. There is absolutely no supernatural events that haven't been explain by science, or any that haven't been shown to be fraudulent. Even swamis that said they could walk on water and under test conditions went splashing.   :lol:  As to walking on hot coals, anyone can do it if the walk isn't too far. You can even dip your hand in molten lead and not get burnt if you do it correctly.  #-o  :rollin:  :rollin:[/quote]

So spirituality is not divine, and we're told by doctors it's good because they miss the good old days of when people were less educated and could not question their standpoints.

Shol'va

You keep making that assertion but repetition doesn't make it true. Again, you need to provide examples, which should not be difficult if this is a prevalent trend.
You also need to clearly establish by what definition of "spirituality" you are going by and providing examples of doctors specifically appealing to that same definition. Until you do so, this is nothing more than unsubstantiated assertions.

Mermaid

Quote from: "darsenfeld"
Quote from: "Mermaid"So you think the medical profession is conspiring to turn people religious? Am I understanding that correctly?

Yes, I do.  Medicine rests on an evil premise, but it's not my issue.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

darsenfeld

Quote from: "Shol'va"You keep making that assertion but repetition doesn't make it true. Again, you need to provide examples, which should not be difficult if this is a prevalent trend.
You also need to clearly establish by what definition of "spirituality" you are going by and providing examples of doctors specifically appealing to that same definition. Until you do so, this is nothing more than unsubstantiated assertions.

Spirituality means the divine.  kindly explain what it is "supposed" to mean..

Shol'va

Spirituality means the divine? Okay ... Show me where it says so. Show me where the term is defined and that is the only definition and no other ones are currently accepted.

Let me clue you in. You are only considering the religious meaning of spiritual. Divine literally means godlike. The term "spirituality" has a broader definition than that and is applied in many different terms.
Simply put, the term spiritual and spirituality does NOT exclusively mean, point to, or refer to the divine.
Start with google. Try "define: spirituality" and "define: divine"
You will see what I mean.

josephpalazzo

Spirituality = the divine, therefore it exists.

:Hangman: